My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Humax Aura Sound Setting

(61 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

bogbody - 2 hours ago  » 
    I've noticed that on certain broadcasts/recordings that voices sound muffuled as if the centre (voice channel) is missing, others have also noticed.
    Lets hope its just a technical issue and not a rights/political issue as with Netflix

That will always happen if the source is 2.0. There is no audio sent to the centre channel. You would have to find a setting that's say sends 50% of the front left and front right to the centre perhaps one of the AVR DSP options.

There is no that much 5.1 on Freeview with iTV-HD always using 2.0. Much BBC content that used to be in 5.1 is plain stereo (2.0)

Should work fine on a broadcast with 5.1 sound like Battlestar Galactica

It's not a fault with the aura if you give it stereo it can only send it to 2 speakers unless you use the digital sound processing options that your AVR has to try and emulate 5.1 audio.

| Sat 2 Jan 2021 11:46:42 #51 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogbody

Tried all that ... and ... no... it doesn't

| Sat 2 Jan 2021 11:51:46 #52 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

bogbody - 6 mins ago  » 
    Tried all that ... and ... no... it doesn't

If you mean the aura of course it does not. You expect it to have multiple DSP options that you get on a high end AVR.

Give it a true DD 5.1 source it will give you the dialogue from the front centre speaker.

Note the options in the table attached. Stereo has no centre channel option the ones below do.

What options does your avr have for DSP. Have you checked the AVR manual ?

Attachments

1. Deno_DSP_options.jpg (206.2 KB, 11 downloads) 3 years old
    | Sat 2 Jan 2021 12:00:39 #53 |
  4. Shaunhoare

Shaunhoare

PanMan - 4 hours ago  » 
    It is a problem that Humax has confirmed to a number of people (including me) and a fix is expected in a firmware update "sometime in January". Only up to 29 days to wait!

bogbody - 3 hours ago  » 
    Trouble is that if the "influential knobs" and "reviewers" start roumours that the sounds "no good", Aura sales figures will fall.
    Its like a certain BMW motorbike that certain people slate 'cos the engine is "made in China" and suffers from "piston slap" .... niether are true but certain people belive every word .......

Might as well now disclose I’m on this forum because I’m a reviewer for a website and YouTube channel. We buy products so we aren’t biased. I was planning to release the review for the Aura at the end of December, but it was going to be rated very poor at around 4/10.

I have spoken to Humax and addressed my issues(CEC-ARC/ATMOS/Netflix/No App). I have an answer for just one of those currently, but I will mention the conversation in the review. Due to the update announcement, I have decided to push back the review until early February time to be reasonable.

| Sat 2 Jan 2021 13:50:20 #54 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogbody

Thats very good of you.
    Humax, like every manufacturer these days, know its the software that makes the product.
    Do they wait until the software is perfect (which it never will be) or release a product that nearly there and wait for the "feedback" ?
    I suspect most people wont notice the surround sound not quite right, not everyone wants Netflix and a lot of tvs dont hdmi/cec properly anyway. So they took a risk.
    My missus loves it. She does not care about imperfect surround sound for example. I suspect there are more people like her than there are that notice the center channel is weak.

| Sat 2 Jan 2021 14:17:27 #55 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

grahamlthompson - 2 hours ago  » 

bogbody - 2 hours ago  » 
    I've noticed that on certain broadcasts/recordings that voices sound muffuled as if the centre (voice channel) is missing, others have also noticed.
    Lets hope its just a technical issue and not a rights/political issue as with Netflix

That will always happen if the source is 2.0. There is no audio sent to the centre channel. You would have to find a setting that's say sends 50% of the front left and front right to the centre perhaps one of the AVR DSP options.
    There is no that much 5.1 on Freeview with iTV-HD always using 2.0. Much BBC content that used to be in 5.1 is plain stereo (2.0)
    Should work fine on a broadcast with 5.1 sound like Battlestar Galactica
    It's not a fault with the aura if you give it stereo it can only send it to 2 speakers unless you use the digital sound processing options that your AVR has to try and emulate 5.1 audio.

I assume that the Aura software will assign equal levels to all 5 surround speakers in a 5.1 setup. You can adjust the .1 gain with the subwoofer gain knob. This of course assumes you sit in the 5.1 sweet spot. I guess they could provide an adjustment to the defaults to more accurately adjust the levels. Of course AVR's use a supplied microphone to set these up. However this will not solve the issue with 2.0 output because there is no centre channel data to adjust. Broadcasters using 5.1 will do the same assuming that AVR owners will set up the levels to match the room and seating positions.

IF you have wide dynamic range content then the audio is lost. Reducing the volume reduces the dialogue by the same amount.

| Sat 2 Jan 2021 14:40:44 #56 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Try BBC iplayer DR WHO New Years Day - available in 4K HGL (HDR) and DD+ 5.1 surround. Looks great on my 55" OLED.

| Sat 2 Jan 2021 15:33:26 #57 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

plasticflame

Humax confirmed to me as well earlier that there is a known fault with the Dolby surround output and that the timeline for correcting is mid Jan, no specific date.

Once corrected, this will remedy the stereo output issues as well as the surround ones.

| Tue 5 Jan 2021 13:53:38 #58 |
  9. Shaunhoare

Shaunhoare

plasticflame - 1 min ago  » 
    Humax confirmed to me as well earlier that there is a known fault with the Dolby surround output and that the timeline for correcting is mid Jan, no specific date.
    Once corrected, this will remedy the stereo output issues as well as the surround ones.

That’s some good news. Mid Jan, aye? Let’s hope!

| Tue 5 Jan 2021 13:55:35 #59 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

plasticflame

Heard today that the firmware update would be out by the end of Jan. The support guy wasn't able to say if that would address the sound issue.

I'm interested to know if anyone else received specifics on when this firmware will be out and what it will correct. Becoming increaingly frustrated....

| Wed 20 Jan 2021 13:44:00 #60 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.