Humax Aura Sound Setting

(61 posts)
  1. Shaunhoare

Shaunhoare

grahamlthompson - 54 mins ago  » 

Shaunhoare - 3 hours ago  » 

PanMan - 2 hours ago  » 

Shaunhoare - 1 day ago  » 
    So, then, it seems we know the culprit. HDMI CEC.
    That is what fixes the volume issue, and also the ATMOS issue as it’s a pass through thing. We need to tell them to fix the HDMI CEC.

I'm slightly confused as to why you think a control signal is affecting sound. CEC is Consumer Electronics Control and allows devices to 'control' each other by, for example, turning on your Aura and the CEC signal will turn on your TV and switch it to the correct HDMI input port. Then turn on your Xbox, and the TV will be switched to that HDMI input. Turn off the Xbox and Aura and the TV switches off too.
    I haven't seen anything that indicates that the audio signaling can be controlled this way. as that is usually done by negotiation by the two devices (allowing that some devices may 'pass through' the signal if they are not the consumer).

Hmm, it’s the only explanation I’d have for ATMOS not working on Disney+, etc but working perfectly on devices that support CEC that are plugged into the exact same source. Because ATMOS needs pass through to work, and it’s clearly not accepting it as a pass through which can only point in the CEC/ARC direction I suppose.
    Edit: Looking online - in order to get ATMOS pass-through, devices need to have CEC ARC. Looks like my guess was correct. So this will need addressing otherwise it’s false advertising. 5.1 just isn’t acceptable any more after using ATMOS for a while.(even on a soundbar)

That is not true. You need CEC to use ARC ( Audio return channel). That allows a app on on the TV to return audio to a AVR. E-ARC allows lossless HD audio formats as well as the usual Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 audio formats.
    My AVR and TV has e-arc. But as I never use the TV speakers and it remains muted it's irrelevant.
    When the audio is from a hdmi connected device directly connected to a a AVR with settings that send all audio to the AVR connected speakers. It has no audio functions.
    In this case what you get depends entirely on what audio codecs your avr supports.
    In the case of the aura. I get DD+ plus or DD 5.1 from any source from the Aura, unless I, use My AVR zone 2 output to feed a kitchen TV that has no DD support.
    It then switches to PCM stereo. Otherwise the remote TV will have no audio.
    This is entirely down to HDCP handshaking identifying the highest common audio both devices support (pcm stereo). So the aura switches to that format.
    If you are using a HDMI splitter to send the audio to two devices. And one says PCM stereo and the other Dolby Digital then you get stereo.
    Incidentally Atmos does not work for me either on the Aura using Disney+. It's not alone There are many other reports around. It does give 5.1 surround.
    It works 100% on a 4K firestick also.
    I take it you realise your system must have at least two dedicated speakers height speakers or a sound bar with them built in ?

Yes I have a 5.1.2 system that works beautifully with Xbox for ATMOS when plugged into the same HDMI cable. I don’t use a splitter or anything, both HDMI are equal with the same specs, same as the cables. Hence how I know it’s a Humax Aura problem and nothing to do with the setup.

I see you have the same problem where your fire stick does ATMOS but Aura doesn’t. Wonder what the issue could be? I still strongly believe it’s ARC..

| Thu 31 Dec 2020 22:43:43 #41 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Shaunhoare - 2 mins ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 54 mins ago  » 

Shaunhoare - 3 hours ago  » 

PanMan - 2 hours ago  » 

Shaunhoare - 1 day ago  » 
    So, then, it seems we know the culprit. HDMI CEC.
    That is what fixes the volume issue, and also the ATMOS issue as it’s a pass through thing. We need to tell them to fix the HDMI CEC.

I'm slightly confused as to why you think a control signal is affecting sound. CEC is Consumer Electronics Control and allows devices to 'control' each other by, for example, turning on your Aura and the CEC signal will turn on your TV and switch it to the correct HDMI input port. Then turn on your Xbox, and the TV will be switched to that HDMI input. Turn off the Xbox and Aura and the TV switches off too.
    I haven't seen anything that indicates that the audio signaling can be controlled this way. as that is usually done by negotiation by the two devices (allowing that some devices may 'pass through' the signal if they are not the consumer).

Hmm, it’s the only explanation I’d have for ATMOS not working on Disney+, etc but working perfectly on devices that support CEC that are plugged into the exact same source. Because ATMOS needs pass through to work, and it’s clearly not accepting it as a pass through which can only point in the CEC/ARC direction I suppose.
    Edit: Looking online - in order to get ATMOS pass-through, devices need to have CEC ARC. Looks like my guess was correct. So this will need addressing otherwise it’s false advertising. 5.1 just isn’t acceptable any more after using ATMOS for a while.(even on a soundbar)

That is not true. You need CEC to use ARC ( Audio return channel). That allows a app on on the TV to return audio to a AVR. E-ARC allows lossless HD audio formats as well as the usual Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 audio formats.
    My AVR and TV has e-arc. But as I never use the TV speakers and it remains muted it's irrelevant.
    When the audio is from a hdmi connected device directly connected to a a AVR with settings that send all audio to the AVR connected speakers. It has no audio functions.
    In this case what you get depends entirely on what audio codecs your avr supports.
    In the case of the aura. I get DD+ plus or DD 5.1 from any source from the Aura, unless I, use My AVR zone 2 output to feed a kitchen TV that has no DD support.
    It then switches to PCM stereo. Otherwise the remote TV will have no audio.
    This is entirely down to HDCP handshaking identifying the highest common audio both devices support (pcm stereo). So the aura switches to that format.
    If you are using a HDMI splitter to send the audio to two devices. And one says PCM stereo and the other Dolby Digital then you get stereo.
    Incidentally Atmos does not work for me either on the Aura using Disney+. It's not alone There are many other reports around. It does give 5.1 surround.
    It works 100% on a 4K firestick also.
    I take it you realise your system must have at least two dedicated speakers height speakers or a sound bar with them built in ?

Yes I have a 5.1.2 system that works beautifully with Xbox for ATMOS when plugged into the same HDMI cable. I don’t use a splitter or anything, both HDMI are equal with the same specs, same as the cables. Hence how I know it’s a Humax Aura problem and nothing to do with the setup.
    I see you have the same problem where your fire stick does ATMOS but Aura doesn’t. Wonder what the issue could be? I still strongly believe it’s ARC..

It's down to the app, I think. . The firestick app supports atmos. TBH so far I have not found a source on the Aura that allows Dolby Atmos including Disney+.

I have a 4K-HDR-Bluray player connected to same AVR. Atmos and HDR no problem

| Thu 31 Dec 2020 22:49:18 #42 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

plasticflame

Similar but different problem to previous posters. Video goes out via HDMI to a projector and the sound via Optical to a stereo amp. This is sufficient for me as I have a decent stereo set up, don't want surround and it's always worked well with different boxes.

With the Freeview audio settings set to stereo, sound works fine for Freeview live and recordings. However for Catch up, Prime and anything else no useable sound output is provided. My amp reports back that an unuseable signal is being provided and there's only silence.

No configuration of the Sound settings under Device Preferences makes any difference, including turning surround off and auto.

Unless I can resolve this all the box is simply a Freeview recorder. Sound for all functions works fine when connected to a TV via HDMI.

Any help appreciated as Humax Support haven't come back with anything constructive

| Fri 1 Jan 2021 17:33:25 #43 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogbody

You use the Aura optical out connection to take sound to your stereo/tv.
    Does your stereo support optical IN spund?
    Converters (optical to RCA/phono) are readily avalable off ebay and are cheap if your stereo has no optical in for sound.

| Fri 1 Jan 2021 18:04:11 #44 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

plasticflame

Already set up for Optical out to Optical in on the stereo.

The issue is that a simple stereo signal appears to be output only for Freeview live, not for anything else

| Fri 1 Jan 2021 18:20:07 #45 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogbody

So the issue is that the Aura does not or can not to set to produce a PCM stereo via the optical out for anything orher than freeview SD programs?
    Does it output anything via optical?
    Have or can you test the stereo with a different Humax box? Satellite or Youview for example?
    Wonder if the promised firmware update "comming soon" will fix it?

Other posts do imply that the surround sound is not working correctly ?????

Just had another thought .... if you HDMI the video/sound to the tv, then use the optical out of the tv to the stereo (tv set to PCM) - does that give you sound on the stereo. HD and SD ????

| Fri 1 Jan 2021 18:38:38 #46 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

plasticflame

The amp detects a signal but not one it can do anything with. I've never had any problems using the same set up with other humax boxes and a PS so my guess is it's the Aura.

I suspect it's the same problem as others have experienced with surround, only in reverse and I hope the firmware update resolves, if/when it arrives. If not, it has to go back.

| Fri 1 Jan 2021 22:40:04 #47 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogbody

I've noticed that on certain broadcasts/recordings that voices sound muffuled as if the centre (voice channel) is missing, others have also noticed.
    Lets hope its just a technical issue and not a rights/political issue as with Netflix

| Sat 2 Jan 2021 7:47:33 #48 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

PanMan

bogbody - 1 hour ago  » 
    I've noticed that on certain broadcasts/recordings that voices sound muffuled as if the centre (voice channel) is missing, others have also noticed.
    Lets hope its just a technical issue and not a rights/political issue as with Netflix

It is a problem that Humax has confirmed to a number of people (including me) and a fix is expected in a firmware update "sometime in January". Only up to 29 days to wait!

| Sat 2 Jan 2021 8:51:38 #49 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogbody

Trouble is that if the "influential knobs" and "reviewers" start roumours that the sounds "no good", Aura sales figures will fall.

Its like a certain BMW motorbike that certain people slate 'cos the engine is "made in China" and suffers from "piston slap" .... niether are true but certain people belive every word .......

| Sat 2 Jan 2021 9:21:19 #50 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.