My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Humax Aura Sound Setting

(61 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

PanMan

If I connect the Aura to the Onkyo I get nada - the Onkyo is too old to understand HDCP and 4K. My previous box (Humax from BT a DTR-T4000) also has 4K output so was directly linked to the Samsung and S/PDIF to the Onkyo. This worked fine and I got full surround sound on suitable broadcasts. So I know it 'should' work, but it's just not from the Aura.

I also have an old DTR-T1000 that I have brought back into service (boy is it slooooow, and no 4k). I have installed it in place of the Aura using the same cables and connection (HDMI to the Samsung, then Samsung's S/PDIF to Onkyo) and lo - full 5.1.

So I have fully convinced myself that it's a Humax problem with the Aura and I think this is confirmed by Humax in this thread.

| Thu 24 Dec 2020 16:48:53 #31 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogbody

Out of curiosity - how old is the Samsung TV ?
    Some hunting about the Youview forum suggests that the Youview box outputs DD 5.1
    not DD+. They are different.
    Old Sammy TV wont passthrough DD+ and SPDIF cable does not have the bandwidth ? ? ?

| Thu 24 Dec 2020 17:18:32 #32 |
  3. Blackforce

Blackforce

I have since emailed Humax AGAIN!
    To pull their bloody finger's out and get this firmware update rolled out as soon as possible.
    If the older Humax boxes have no trouble 5.1 sound. Then why is this taking so long to get sorted?
    The Aura is an excellent box marred by this silly problem.

| Sun 27 Dec 2020 10:36:28 #33 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

evansjd2112

So frustrating. Had the Aura for a couple of hours before returning because of this.
    Luckily I knew it was device related as the Manhattan T3R did the same before they fixed it with an update.
    May give the Aura another go once this is confirmed fixed.

| Sun 27 Dec 2020 11:05:38 #34 |
  5. Shaunhoare

Shaunhoare

This is an interesting thread. So, I have my Xbox and Aura plugged into my ATMOS system which released a few months ago and has all the bells and whistles and standards.

On my Xbox - HDMI CEC is perfect, and Disney+, etc show up as ATMOS in the apps and on the sound system.

Aura on the other hand - HDMI CEC does not work at all. Also, the apps like Disney+ do not show ATMOS, they only show the older 5.1.

I know they mentioned ATMOS somewhere as this was one of the two main selling points. Also not being able to control volume properly because it does some kind of on box volume is frustrating for family because they need to use two controllers.

So, then, it seems we know the culprit. HDMI CEC.
    That is what fixes the volume issue, and also the ATMOS issue as it’s a pass through thing. We need to tell them to fix the HDMI CEC.

| Wed 30 Dec 2020 10:30:17 #35 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

PanMan

My Aura is being replaced tomorrow, hopefully to fix the IR issues.

Whilst talking to support yesterday I asked about the surround sound problems and they said a firmware update 'should' be out in January but not a date.

Also, the Aura App is scheduled for release on 6th January - but no promises!

| Wed 30 Dec 2020 19:56:26 #36 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

PanMan

Just to complete my little saga of IR not working properly. A replacement Aura arrived this morning and the courier took away the faulty one.

Having installed the new one, the pairing of the remote to the Aura was straightforward from a distance, as it should be.

If you look closely at the front of the unit, and from one side, you will see a black/dark 'hole' about 18mm in diameter. On the original unit this was under the 'V' button on the right of the unit. On the replacement it is under the word 'Play' on the left. I believe this is the IR window to allow the signal onto the IR sensor. It looks like this part of the unit was assembled upside down, obstructing the IR sensor.

I can, however, confirm that the surround sound is still the same. It's nice that it works on the 'live' broadcast of HD films, not that the current batch of films is quite to my liking - but then the kids flew the nest many years ago. But I then have to switch my amp to a setting called 'All Channel Stereo' which means it is just stereo but it fills in the centre channel. Not as good as it should/will be, but acceptable for a short while.

Meanwhile my Harmony can once again control my system. Just need that firmware upgrade and I might be content with my purchase.

Hope it's not too long into January for it to be available - but would prefer it later and working than early and not quite right.

| Thu 31 Dec 2020 16:09:28 #37 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

PanMan

Shaunhoare - 1 day ago  » 

That is what fixes the volume issue, and also the ATMOS issue as it’s a pass through thing. We need to tell them to fix the HDMI CEC.

I'm slightly confused as to why you think a control signal is affecting sound. CEC is Consumer Electronics Control and allows devices to 'control' each other by, for example, turning on your Aura and the CEC signal will turn on your TV and switch it to the correct HDMI input port. Then turn on your Xbox, and the TV will be switched to that HDMI input. Turn off the Xbox and Aura and the TV switches off too.

I haven't seen anything that indicates that the audio signaling can be controlled this way. as that is usually done by negotiation by the two devices (allowing that some devices may 'pass through' the signal if they are not the consumer).

| Thu 31 Dec 2020 16:46:14 #38 |
  9. Shaunhoare

Shaunhoare

PanMan - 2 hours ago  » 

I'm slightly confused as to why you think a control signal is affecting sound. CEC is Consumer Electronics Control and allows devices to 'control' each other by, for example, turning on your Aura and the CEC signal will turn on your TV and switch it to the correct HDMI input port. Then turn on your Xbox, and the TV will be switched to that HDMI input. Turn off the Xbox and Aura and the TV switches off too.
    I haven't seen anything that indicates that the audio signaling can be controlled this way. as that is usually done by negotiation by the two devices (allowing that some devices may 'pass through' the signal if they are not the consumer).

Hmm, it’s the only explanation I’d have for ATMOS not working on Disney+, etc but working perfectly on devices that support CEC that are plugged into the exact same source. Because ATMOS needs pass through to work, and it’s clearly not accepting it as a pass through which can only point in the CEC/ARC direction I suppose.

Edit: Looking online - in order to get ATMOS pass-through, devices need to have CEC ARC. Looks like my guess was correct. So this will need addressing otherwise it’s false advertising. 5.1 just isn’t acceptable any more after using ATMOS for a while.(even on a soundbar)

| Thu 31 Dec 2020 18:54:29 #39 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Shaunhoare - 3 hours ago  » 

PanMan - 2 hours ago  » 

Hmm, it’s the only explanation I’d have for ATMOS not working on Disney+, etc but working perfectly on devices that support CEC that are plugged into the exact same source. Because ATMOS needs pass through to work, and it’s clearly not accepting it as a pass through which can only point in the CEC/ARC direction I suppose.
    Edit: Looking online - in order to get ATMOS pass-through, devices need to have CEC ARC. Looks like my guess was correct. So this will need addressing otherwise it’s false advertising. 5.1 just isn’t acceptable any more after using ATMOS for a while.(even on a soundbar)

That is not true. You need CEC to use ARC ( Audio return channel). That allows a app on on the TV to return audio to a AVR. E-ARC allows lossless HD audio formats as well as the usual Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 audio formats.

My AVR and TV has e-arc. But as I never use the TV speakers and it remains muted it's irrelevant.

When the audio is from a hdmi connected device directly connected to a a AVR with settings that send all audio to the AVR connected speakers. It has no audio functions.

In this case what you get depends entirely on what audio codecs your avr supports.

In the case of the aura. I get DD+ plus or DD 5.1 from any source from the Aura, unless I, use My AVR zone 2 output to feed a kitchen TV that has no DD support.

It then switches to PCM stereo. Otherwise the remote TV will have no audio.

This is entirely down to HDCP handshaking identifying the highest common audio both devices support (pcm stereo). So the aura switches to that format.

If you are using a HDMI splitter to send the audio to two devices. And one says PCM stereo and the other Dolby Digital then you get stereo.
    Incidentally Atmos does not work for me either on the Aura using Disney+. It's not alone There are many other reports around. It does give 5.1 surround.

It works 100% on a 4K firestick also.

I take it you realise your system must have at least two dedicated speakers height speakers or a sound bar with them built in ?

Attachments

1. Atmos.jpg (107.5 KB, 6 downloads) 3 years old
    | Thu 31 Dec 2020 22:45:46 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.