My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Humax Aura Sound Setting

(61 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Blackforce - 12 hours ago  » 
    Well I have tried everything now. resetting my Marantz, resetting the Aura, recording Big Bang Theory on CH4HD, Match of the Day on BBC1HD (Saturday night) The Bridge BBC4HD, Battle Star Galactica BBC2HD.
    All come through in 5.1
    But any other programs transmitted with a stereo (PCM) sound format. Come through the Marantz as stereo (PCM) Unless I switch the Aura sound setting from surround to stereo. Then the Marantz will switch automatically to Dolby Pro-Logic II as I prefer.
    So I will have to wait to see if Humax start sending some software updates in the future.
    But thank you to everyone who has offered advice.
    If there are any developments in the future I will update this thread.

What are all other programmes. Are we talking Live TV or from one of the apps. If an app which one and what content ?

| Mon 23 Nov 2020 21:12:28 #21 |
  2. Blackforce

Blackforce

Live freeview transmissions. Not apps

| Tue 24 Nov 2020 8:47:55 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Is your Humax connected direct to the Marantz or are you direct into the television and then TV>amp via the hdmi-arc port?
    If it's the second method, either your TV doesn't support full passthrough of all the versions or perhaps you need to activate full passthrough in the TV settings somewhere?

| Tue 24 Nov 2020 12:06:45 #23 |
  4. Blackforce

Blackforce

Humax direct to the amp via 2.2 HDMI.
    The Marantz HDMI inputs are 2.2 compliant.

| Wed 25 Nov 2020 21:48:07 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

evansjd2112

Hi
    I bought an Aura when first released.... and then sent it back the same day.
    One reason was this bug that you mention.
    I have a Yamaha amp.
    The issue was also there on my Manhattan T3-R when first bought but was then fixed in a software update this year.

from T3R release notes:
    When using surround sound speakers audio and the T3R was set to output surround sound, audio could be heard for HD programmes with 2.0 audio from only the left and right speakers. HD programmes are broadcast with either AAC 2.0 or 5.1, both of which the T3-R transcodes to Dolby Digital. For more info, please see the BBC’s blog post here.

| Tue 8 Dec 2020 16:23:04 #25 |
  6. Blackforce

Blackforce

Further information.
    Humax have finally got back to me regarding this sound problem.
    They are now aware of the problem and are looking into it.
    Also, I have replaced the Marantz NR1508 and purchased the new Yamaha RX-V4A and the same problem exist.
    Let's hope Humax are quick at sorting this out via firmware upgrade or replacement of the Aura.

| Wed 16 Dec 2020 10:44:06 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

evansjd2112

Blackforce - 11 mins ago  » 
    Further information.
    Humax have finally got back to me regarding this sound problem.
    They are now aware of the problem and are looking into it.
    Also, I have replaced the Marantz NR1508 and purchased the new Yamaha RX-V4A and the same problem exist.
    Let's hope Humax are quick at sorting this out via firmware upgrade or replacement of the Aura.

May give the Aura another go once this is confirmed fix.
    But then Manhattan have just updated so you can record 2 whilst watching a 3rd channel (depending on Multiplex) which originally was a reason I tried going to the Aura.

| Wed 16 Dec 2020 10:57:46 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogbody

Ah .... that explains why I can only get stereo sound out of my sound bar on HD broadcasts that are supposed to be in surround sound.

| Wed 16 Dec 2020 11:21:30 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

PanMan

I received my Aura on the 17th and instantly had a problem that the IR receiver would only work if the remote was held less than 2 feet, but more than 6 inches away from the receiver port, and in direct line!! Took me ages to work this out and get the Bluetooth turned on.

So I am promised a replacement, but nothing yet. Meanwhile, I started to play with the unit and integrate it into my system (Samsung 4K TV, Onkyo non-4k AV Receiver). This unit to replace a now dead BT/Youview Humax box.

With the Aura connected directly to the TV via HDMI I connected the Aura S/PDIF output to one of the Onkyo digital optical audio inputs (the exact same method as the dead BT box).

This, as I expected, worked apart from there being no sound coming out of the centre speaker.

No matter how many ways I configured my system (the Samsung TV also has an optical digital output which I tried instead of the Aura one), I could not get 5.1 from the Aura. Not even from the PrimeVideo app.

After sending off a long missive to Humax I though I would do a quick search (should have done it first!!), and found this thread.

So it appears it's not my system, but the Aura. Looks like it (or its replacement if that every arrives) is going back as unfit for purpose. Shame, as this is my 4th Humax box and not had such a bad experience before. Glad I have not splashed out for an HDCP AV receiver to see if that fixed it - expensive.

| Thu 24 Dec 2020 15:33:42 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogbody

Interesting...
    Now in my post (Surround the sound Part II -- just down a bit)
    I did get Dolby 5.1+ out of the Aura BUT only if it was connected by HDMI directly to the Sony soundbar.
    My (2017) Sammy TV does not passthrough DD + only plain vanilla DD. It needs to be a post 2019 Sammy TV to support DD+.
    So connect your Aura to the AV with HDMI directly. SPDIF (optical) wont work as there is not enough bandwidth.
    I did try moving HDMI leads about and connect the Aura direct to the Soundbar rather than the BlueRay but the Sammy's less than perfect CEC HDMI switching meant that the button pressing and AV switching was beyond my SO (aka Chief Rider of Broom). It also meant no surround sound from Blueray for the same, no pass through, reason.

| Thu 24 Dec 2020 16:03:11 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.