My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

Humax jumping/skipping

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Liz Holder

My PVR-9300T, admittedly now quite old, is frequently jumping/skipping. Someone has suggested it might be to do with the aerial. We have a communal aerial in a block of flats, so resolving this would be a challenge. Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution?

| Fri 9 Jun 2023 9:36:51 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

This may be the same as a known issue where there has been no fix.
    The oldest post, on this site, that I am aware of was for recordings of "Points of View" and was dated May 2012, but the same, or similar issue, was posted in 2009 on a couple of other forum sites.

How do your symptoms differ from some of the previous reports?
    E.g.
    Is it on all programmes or mainly some cartoons and some programmes that include some text as part of the programme, or other high contrast visibles?
    If you reply it does the jump occur at the same points?
    If you play it at twice speed through a point where it consistently jump, does it still jump during that fast playback

Some examples where something similar as been previously discussed.
    E.g.
    https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/9300t-jumps-during-playback
    E.g.
    https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/recording-skipping (This discusses 2 different causes - 1 where it is just random programmes and the other the more raised issue.)
    E.g.
    https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/homeland-jumpingand-skiping

There are many many posts on this similar topic. If you want to read more then try the site search, or google's site search for this site.

| Fri 9 Jun 2023 12:20:28 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Liz Holder

Hi Luke, many thanks for the links to previous posts. I think my issue is pretty similar; it applies to any channel and any recording but on a very intermittent basis. Curiously, though, I often miss the very end of a recording. I've tried replaying and yes, the jump occurs at the same points. It doesn't jump on fast playback, so the recordings are complete. I am assuming that the age of my PVR is now against me and, as people say, Humax are not going to do anything about it except tell me to upgrade. One thing I've read on another forum, though, is that it could be an aerial issue - has anyone else come across this? We have a communal aerial in our block of flats in London, so getting anything fixed if this was the case is likely to be out of the question.

| Fri 9 Jun 2023 12:31:06 #3 |
  4. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Liz, I really don't think you should waste your time messing about with your aerial, even if you could. As Luke has comprehensively illustrated this is a well known problem with the 9300 and 9150 machines that goes back a long time and that Humax never resolved. My partner has a 9300 and almost every recording of Emmerdale and Corro jumps at the end, we laugh every time. We find these programmes recorded from ITV1+1 to jump even worse. Some recordings play fine with no issues whatsoever. You will get exactly the same problem if you pause the live programme for a while and then watch behind real time. Under these circumstances you are watching from the buffer (a recording that is made continuously from the live stream) that allows you to rewind live TV.
    As you have seen there is no jumping when playing back at a fast speed, in fact playing back at any speed other than normal is fine and this includes slower than normal speed. The common factor when playing back at anything other than normal speed is that there is no sound, I would guess this is a pointer to the cause of the problem but Humax wouldn't, couldn't and certainly didn't sort it out. The sound can be disabled with one of the buttons under the sliding cover on the remote, from memory I think it was one of the top two on the left, source or opt+. One of these buttons allows you to change the soundtrack to something that cuts off the sound, then you can playback at normal speed with no jumping. Maybe lipreading would be a useful skill for 9300/9150 owners.

| Fri 9 Jun 2023 15:51:10 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Liz Holder

Thank you Biggles, another helpful response. So it looks like I need to cut my losses and get a new PVR. Do you (or Luke) know if it's possible to transfer recordings from one PVR to another? Or do I need to ask a new question somewhere else in this Forum? I've got nearly a year's recordings on my current machine which I have not yet watched and I would be sad to lose them.

| Fri 9 Jun 2023 16:18:54 #5 |
  6. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Liz Holder - 25 mins ago  » 
    Thank you Biggles, another helpful response. So it looks like I need to cut my losses and get a new PVR. Do you (or Luke) know if it's possible to transfer recordings from one PVR to another? Or do I need to ask a new question somewhere else in this Forum? I've got nearly a year's recordings on my current machine which I have not yet watched and I would be sad to lose them.

I have extracted the recordings from my 9200 machine onto my computer with a third party program called HumaxRW and am able to watch them from there by various means onto my TV but I don't think you will be able to put your recordings onto another recorder. I think HumaxRW will extract recordings from the 9300 machine but Martin Liddle might have more knowledge about such things.

| Fri 9 Jun 2023 16:54:57 #6 |
  7. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Biggles - 5 hours ago  » 
    ...The sound can be disabled with one of the buttons under the sliding cover on the remote, from memory I think it was one of the top two on the left, source or opt+. One of these buttons allows you to change the soundtrack to something that cuts off the sound, then you can playback at normal speed with no jumping. Maybe lipreading would be a useful skill for 9300/9150 owners.

Correction, the button is second row second from the left, loudspeaker symbol with a question mark.

| Fri 9 Jun 2023 21:08:49 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Biggles - 4 hours ago  » 
    I think HumaxRW will extract recordings from the 9300 machine but Martin Liddle might have more knowledge about such things.

I agree that HumaxRW is the tool to use; like you I believe it should work on the hard drive from a 9300T but never having owned a 9300T I can't be sure. I think most Humax recorders will allow the recordings to be played in one way or another but getting them into the onscreen list of recordings may not be possible.

| Fri 9 Jun 2023 21:32:28 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Liz Holder

Thank you Martin, indeed thank you Biggles and Luke too. Your corporate expertise has really helped me move this forward and informed my decisions on what to do. I suspect that using HumaxRW and trying to get the recordings onto my computer is beyond my skill-set but I will consider the suggestion. My PVR-9300T has done me long and good service, even accounting for recent problems, so I can't really complain. Perhaps time to upgrade now.

| Sat 10 Jun 2023 9:21:17 #9 |
  10. Biggles

Biggles

special member

A lot of my partner's 9300 recordings play fine so maybe you'll be able to watch most of your recordings. I find that if you can wind back to a point just after where jumping started you can sometimes watch the bits that were unwatchable after the jumping started, a bit of a pain though. I have recently gone through the menus of my partner's 9300, done a Default Setting, changed settings to do with language and generally made sure all settings are correct but it makes absolutely no difference to the jumping problem.
    HumaxRW does require you to remove the 9300 hard drive and connect it to your computer in some way then does require a bit of computer skill to extract the files but they should then play on your computer fine. If you want to watch them on your TV then you may have to install a media server. I use the free Plex Media Server on a Linux machine but Windows might do it directly, I'm not sure.

| Sat 10 Jun 2023 10:51:58 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.