My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Humax streaming / catch up services blocked by VPN

(100 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

rjsdavis

More frustration and not resolved. I spent a fair bit of time on the phone with the Draytek support people. They walked me through setting up "Router policies" so that any traffic being directed to any specific website (or IP) was instructed to bypass the VPN.

I set it up, so that it the router was instructed to bypass either the website (e.g. bbc.co.uk) or the BBC's IP address (151.101.64.81) and all traffic to either of these should pass through WAN1, and not the VPN. It didn't work - as the Humax Freesat box simply won't play content through the BBC iPlayer app.

The error code on the screen: The link is currently not available. [Ok].

Any other thoughts by any chance? Interestingly, the NOWTV streaming boxes connect and work just fine - and these are also using apps from the broadcasters. They're slow to load and navigate around, but they work.

| Wed 15 Jan 2020 17:06:11 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

rjsdavis - 1 hour ago  » 

I set it up, so that it the router was instructed to bypass either the website (e.g. bbc.co.uk) or the BBC's IP address (151.101.64.81) and all traffic to either of these should pass through WAN1, and not the VPN.

Possibly the wrong web site. I can't speak for the Freesat boxes but the Freeview boxes access iPlayer via a Humax portal.

| Wed 15 Jan 2020 18:29:41 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

rjsdavis

Martin Liddle - 34 mins ago  » 

rjsdavis - 1 hour ago  » 
    I set it up, so that it the router was instructed to bypass either the website (e.g. bbc.co.uk) or the BBC's IP address (151.101.64.81) and all traffic to either of these should pass through WAN1, and not the VPN.

Possibly the wrong web site. I can't speak for the Freesat boxes but the Freeview boxes access iPlayer via a Humax portal.

Thanks for the suggestion - sounds logical.

How can I test or determine if this is the case?

| Wed 15 Jan 2020 19:04:54 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Try connecting your Humax to your mobile phone wifi hotspot and load iPlayer and begin playing a program. Then stop. Turn off your hotspot and then reconnect to your router. Does iPlayer now work? This may clear some internal cache and corrupt/incorrect settings.

| Wed 15 Jan 2020 19:39:13 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

rjsdavis

SSThing - 43 mins ago  » 
    Try connecting your Humax to your mobile phone wifi hotspot and load iPlayer and begin playing a program. Then stop. Turn off your hotspot and then reconnect to your router. Does iPlayer now work? This may clear some internal cache and corrupt/incorrect settings.

Thanks - this will work, only if my mobile has it's WiFi turned off, as obviously the mobile, via WiFi, is then connecting to the net via the VPN.

As soon as the VPN is deactivated, all of the apps within the Humax all work fine.

The NordVPN is the problem. Finding a way to for the Humax unit to remain connected to the router, and bypassing the VPN is the solution, but even DrayTek haven't managed it yet!

| Wed 15 Jan 2020 20:24:29 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

No. Turn off the wifi on your phone and turn on the wifi hotspot so that you are using internet via your phone data(it's two different things). Then connect the Humax to the phone hotspot and run iPlayer to see if it flushes the caches etc. Then reconnect to your router to see if it now works.
    Actually ignore me, disabling the VPN and running iPlayer is clearing the caches, as you said. My bad.

| Wed 15 Jan 2020 20:27:58 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

rjsdavis

SSThing - 18 mins ago  » 
    No. Turn off the wifi on your phone and turn on the wifi hotspot so that you are using internet via your phone data(it's two different things). Then connect the Humax to the phone hotspot and run iPlayer to see if it flushes the caches etc. Then reconnect to your router to see if it now works.
    Actually ignore me, disabling the VPN and running iPlayer is clearing the caches, as you said. My bad.

Yes, I understood what you said, and it doesn't work.

Creating a Wifi hotspot on my mobile, is still reliant on either my main router/WiFi, or the normal 4G mobile signal to work.

It does not work when the mobile phone is connected to the router (as the VPN is active).

It does work when the mobile phone is using 4G, (because the VPN is not involved), but then after using this, the Humax will not work, as it is then reliant on the local WiFi, which has the active VPN.

As soon as the VPN is turned off, the Humax works. With the VPN on, the Humax will not work in any circumstance.

| Wed 15 Jan 2020 20:49:39 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

That's why I added the ignore me bit

| Wed 15 Jan 2020 21:13:52 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Google... what is humax tv portal ...and the answers suggest that iPlayer is indeed reached via a Humax portal. I wonder if someone with the older Foxsat box and the custom firmware might be able to determine what the IP address is.

| Wed 15 Jan 2020 23:04:37 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamRHK

special member

Google... what is humax tv portal ...and the answers suggest that iPlayer is indeed reached via a Humax portal. I wonder if someone with the older Foxsat box and the custom firmware might be able to determine what the IP address is.

I fear that it is more complicated than that. The FVP5000T does not appear to use the portal for watching catch up services (unlike the HD FOX T2 for example. I have many (lots!) of wireshark traces (trying to recreate and solve the DNS setting issue) and it appears that many different servers are connected over time. The only way round the VPN problem would be to give your FVP a fixed IP address and get the router set to bypass the VPN for all traffic from that address. But I have not figured how to do that. I'll post a list of the IP addresses used when I have a moment.

| Thu 16 Jan 2020 8:56:10 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.