My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

Humax1000s signal/sound problems

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JackieB

Hello - was recommended to this site by a friend. Total technofobe here but... since Saturday have had intermittent hd channel pickup. It's been raining but we've had harder rain with no problems. Checked signal strength and it says good and HD comes and goes. Anyway i decided to do a factory reset to see if that helped and suddenly no sound. When I get the hd channels back the sound is normal but when it goes and I go back to 'ordinary' my sound bar won't go high enough to hear.

The TV that we run through the sound bar has usual volume. Ditto recordings made last night, usual volume. So I don't think it's the sound bar. Went to settings and looked at audio and clicked on both options to see if that was it and still nothing.

It may be that I need a new box but have turned everything off and started again. I wish I hadn't done the factory reset now and just didn't have the HD channels.

Sorry to ramble, just completely flummoxed as to what I've done and any advice, in words of one syllable would be much appreciated. Thanks all.

| Mon 1 Jan 2018 15:16:07 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

A factory reset amongst other things reduces the box sound level output to 50% and turns on surround sound in the digital audio out option (the default options).

Turn down your TV volume and tune the box to a SD channel. Using the box remote turn up the volume to near max. Now turn up the TV volume to a normal listening level. Use the TV volume to regulate the volume from then on.

Now open the box set settings - picture and sound - change digital audio out to stereo from Multi-channel.

Check a HD channel gives similar volume levels.

Your reception problems could be down to a number of reasons.

Dish moved.
    Water got into the coax leads.
    LNB on it's way out.

Welcome to our forum

| Mon 1 Jan 2018 15:22:48 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Firstly set the Humax audio option to Stereo. This will change sound output to be the same on HD and SD channels.

Can you give your approximate location and signal quality readings on say BBC1 (SD and HD).

When the signal problem exists is it on all HD channels?
    Rain won't help but you should be getting near 100% quality, proving you are in the UK.

Edit: Beaten to it by Graham

| Mon 1 Jan 2018 15:25:00 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JackieB

Hello both and thanks for your help on your day off! Have fixed the sound problem and will note that if I do factory reset in future! I'm in Dover ct17 postcode. BBC HD says no signal on both tuners and SD says good both tuners. We can get 5hd and BBC news HD but that's all. What is an lnb pls? Thanks again. And happy new year!

| Mon 1 Jan 2018 15:38:24 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Every day is a day off for Graham and I.

LNB Explained

Do you receive CBBC? If not try going through several SD channels and list up to 6 you do not receive.

A happy new year to you as well.

| Mon 1 Jan 2018 16:13:18 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JackieB - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hello both and thanks for your help on your day off! Have fixed the sound problem and will note that if I do factory reset in future! I'm in Dover ct17 postcode. BBC HD says no signal on both tuners and SD says good both tuners. We can get 5hd and BBC news HD but that's all. What is an lnb pls? Thanks again. And happy new year!

Is your dish in a location you can easily get access ?

With the box off disconect the feed from the dish. Look closely for any sign of damp. Water in the coax is known to knock out reception on some frequencies. If it get's into your box it can create serious damage.

Repassac probably has a glass of local Bordeaux lined up , he lives in France.

Both of us are retired ( Retired in 2000 ). Happy New Year.

If you can get BBC News HD you should get the Scottish and Welsh variants of BBC 1 HD.

973 BBC One ScotHD
    976 BBC One Wal HD

Can you also check the following SD channels

957 BBC One NI
    958 BBC One Oxford
    961 BBC One South
    962 BBC One S West
    969 BBC Two NI

| Mon 1 Jan 2018 17:12:03 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JackieB

Thanks for the lnb link - unfortunately can't access the dish without a ladder but will certainly try the other BBC HD local variants. Thank you so much for your help. I was assured of some friendly help and I'm not disappointed. I guess I need to wait for the weather to dry out, see if the HD comes back and then wait for rain again. I dread calling someone out as being an older person they take one look at me and think kerching!! I will read some of the other queries and FAQs as it might save me bothering you again. Cheers both!

| Mon 1 Jan 2018 18:18:20 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.