My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

iPlayer issues

(36 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

PeterH

Blacknight, place to call home fine again but last night the ch4 humans series. Episode 2 unwatchable. Factory reset didnt help. Then episode 3 and 4 worked fine. Then 5 unwatchable. Contacted ch4 support and after having acknowledgement, probably automatic, had another email saying aware of this problem on humax boxes? Will see what happens. Shame because humans is a brilliant programme. Want to buy one of those synths. Well anita anyway. Especially with the 18 plus extra feature. Would always worry though what might happen when the lexus advert kicks in.Hopefully ch4 will resolve. May email lexus and aviation world. They might leverage a resolution as they are paying for us to watch these episodes!

| Wed 15 Feb 2017 9:22:43 #31 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

As I have commented many times on this forum. You are better off with a dedicated streaming device rather than relying on such features either on your TV or a PVR.

It's fine for a platform such as Sky or BT TV where they have a large subscriber base so they keep everything up to date.

Once manufactures of these products have sold them to the customer that's the end of their income stream, hence they get little support. BBC iPlayer used to work great on our Panasonic TV (now three years old) not anymore, I can access iPlayer and select a programme. However, it never gets beyond the buffer wheel before it kicks me out and back into live broadcasts. Doesn't matter what I try and that is on a fast connection.

New Samsung TV - works perfectly. 4 year old Panasonic PVR - BBC iPlayer no longer working. Chromecast - £30, works brilliantly and there are loads of media apps which are kept up to date. Roku or a Now TV box are another good buy.

| Wed 15 Feb 2017 14:34:26 #32 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 3 minutes ago  » 
    As I have commented many times on this forum. You are better off with a dedicated streaming device rather than relying on such features either on your TV or a PVR.
    It's fine for a platform such as Sky or BT TV where they have a large subscriber base so they keep everything up to date.
    Once manufactures of these products have sold them to the customer that's the end of their income stream, hence they get little support. BBC iPlayer used to work great on our Panasonic TV (now three years old) not anymore, I can access iPlayer and select a programme. However, it never gets beyond the buffer wheel before it kicks me out and back into live broadcasts. Doesn't matter what I try and that is on a fast connection.
    New Samsung TV - works perfectly. 4 year old Panasonic PVR - BBC iPlayer no longer working. Chromecast - £30, works brilliantly and there are loads of media apps which are kept up to date. Roku or a Now TV box are another good buy.

Chromecast is great if the app on the mobile device supports casting the download and video processing to the Chromecast device. If it does not and you have to rely on the mobile device continuing to receive the down load stream and passing it using a point to point wireless link to the Chromecast device it's not that brilliant (prone to dropouts especially with HD streams). Try it with Amazon Prime video or Kodi for instance.

| Wed 15 Feb 2017 14:42:02 #33 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 6 minutes ago  » 

Faust - 3 minutes ago  » 

Chromecast is great if the app on the mobile device supports casting the download and video processing to the Chromecast device. If it does not and you have to rely on the mobile device continuing to receive the down load stream and passing it using a point to point wireless link to the Chromecast device it's not that brilliant (prone to dropouts especially with HD streams). Try it with Amazon Prime video or Kodi for instance.

True, but this is not a very common occurrence anymore. Certainly all the main players support casting with more being added all the time. Amazon is trying to hold back the tide as it wants you to use a Firestick or similar. However, I think they are going to have to bite that particular bullet before too long.

I certainly cannot rely on the 1000s, 2000T, Panasonic HWT-120 or our Panasonic "smart TV" for BBC iPlayer or All4 etc. anymore. With the Chromecast I simply select what I want on my phone or tablet, select HDMI 3 on the TV and I know I'm set for a trouble free viewing experience.

I can also use Airplay from my Mac to Apple TV, though this has become pretty redundant since Chromecast came along.

| Wed 15 Feb 2017 14:56:41 #34 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 23 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 6 minutes ago  » 

Faust - 3 minutes ago  » 

With the Chromecast I simply select what I want on my phone or tablet, select HDMI 3 on the TV and I know I'm set for a trouble free viewing experience.
    I can also use Airplay from my Mac to Apple TV, though this has become pretty redundant since Chromecast came along.

I connect mine to the front HDMI input on my Yamaha AV receiver, it can be powered from the front usb socket so need to even use the mains adaptor. You can view on Main and Kitchen TV at the same time. It cost only £20.00 on Black Friday so a really good buy.

| Wed 15 Feb 2017 15:22:31 #35 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Yes Graham, as you say a good buy. I got my original one for 'free' with another product (it's the stick type though works perfectly). The second one I bought a couple of weeks ago. This is the newer circle type, though this time I had to pay - £30, though I'm not grumbling.

| Wed 15 Feb 2017 16:00:33 #36 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.