My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Is it just my bad luck, or incompatible kit?

(27 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Clem_Dye

Last week I grabbed a new 5000T from JL. After hooking it up to my Yamaha YSP4100 sound bar and powering it on after firing-up my TV, I noticed that I'd lost audio from the bar. A quick power cycle sorted that, then I went ahead and set-up the 5000T without further ado. A bit later, wanting to show my wife the new kit, I powered-up my LG TV, which uses an HDMI-ARC connection to the Yamaha but the bar failed to power-up. After a lot of messing around I found that if I pulled mains power from the 5000T the TV and bar would work fine. Thinking that there might be an issue with the bar, I connected the 5000T to the LG and ended-up with exactly the same result -- soundbar MIA.

Altering the CEC setting made no difference, and although I was tempted to get a Lindy CEC blocker to try my good lady wife said that she'd rather return the 5000T for a refund. To a certain extent, I agreed with her, and the total loss of the ARC connection did make me wonder if I had a duff 5000T sample, and I didn't want to risk possible damage to the TV or bar, or both.

Anyway, with the 5000T en route to JL, at the weekend I grabbed a cheaper 1800T from Argos, and set it up in exactly the same way as I had done with the 5000T. No obvious problems. Sunday night, watching Top Gear whilst the 1800T was recording, we both noticed that the HDMI input port indicator on the front of the bar would intermittently flicker on and off. No biggie, but a bit irritating. We then went on to watch some recordings on the 1800T without issue.

Last night We went to our local model railway club meeting, and on getting home I woke the TV up from standby to be greeted again by an absence of soundbar. The 1800T was recording at the time. I let it finish its recording, then tried the TV again, which then woke the soundbar up as normal.

Can anyone shed light on the above please? I know that Humax kit can be a bit flaky, certainly when it comes to HDMI connectivity issues, but I can't believe that I've been that unlucky.

It seems to me that there's something about Humax Freeview PVRs that my Yamaha doesn't like. Oddly though, I have no issues with anything else routed through it, including a Humax 1100S Freesat PVR! I need to get another PVR soon as my Panasonic is quite old and is showing signs of fatigue. I do have a Manhattan T3-R which is OK, but we do do a lot of time-shifting so a second Freeview PVR is a must. It's not possible to run two Manhattans in the same room as there's no way to change remote control channels, which is a bit of an oversight, to say the least. The 5000T with its 3 tuners seemed ideal. I'm not sure that trying an Aura will help. Would the Lindy CEC blocker have made any difference? Any thoughts or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Cheers, Clem

| Tue 16 Nov 2021 16:57:08 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

It would be useful to know which model TV?

| Tue 16 Nov 2021 17:09:57 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Clem_Dye

Sorry,I forgot to add that. It's a LG 49SM8500PLA, a 2019 4K TV. Not one of LG's finest, but generally OK.

| Tue 16 Nov 2021 17:16:07 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

OK, based on my experience with the very odd way that LG have structured their menus and implemented the cec and arc system, try this (it may work or may not even be possible).
    First off, make sure that Simplink and Auto Power Sync are active in the Device Connection Settings menu.
    Then (if these are available in the settings) in Sound/Additional settings check that DTV audio is auto and Digital Sound Out is passthrough.

| Tue 16 Nov 2021 17:34:40 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Clem_Dye

Thanks for the suggestion. I already had those settings in place before I connected the 5000T/1800T boxes. I couldn’t find any other relevant settings in either the LG TV or Yamaha soundbar.

| Tue 16 Nov 2021 19:30:46 #5 |
  6. jpv1960

jpv1960

I have used Yamaha YAS101bl SoundBar with 5000T and Toshiba TV, with no issues.

I cannot answer your question as I don't have a similar kit to try it out, but what I can say is that I got quite fed up with my 5000T as it did not display all the channels and file transfer to the PC was quite a job, or quite flaky.

I decided to buy Aura directly from Humax (got £50 off with AURA50 code, which may still be valid) and it is way better. Everything about it seems far superior and it works a treat.

| Wed 17 Nov 2021 19:04:33 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Clem_Dye - 1 day ago  » 
    Last night We went to our local model railway club meeting, and on getting home I woke the TV up from standby to be greeted again by an absence of soundbar. The 1800T was recording at the time. I let it finish its recording, then tried the TV again, which then woke the soundbar up as normal.
    Can anyone shed light on the above please?

You haven't mentioned which software you were using on the HDR-1800T. That probably has more significance than whether you went to a club meeting or not.

| Thu 18 Nov 2021 1:03:35 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Clem_Dye

In both cases, for the 5000T and the 1800T, the latest firmware was installed. The 5000T auto-upgraded when I installed it and I had to update the 1800T using a USB stick. My LG TV has the latest firmware too, as does the bar. I’ve checked everything that I can think of — TV settings, soundbar settings, and so on. I just can’t get Humax Freeview PVRs to play nicely. It makes no sense to me, especially as I have a Humax Freesat PVR connected to the soundbar and that behaves perfectly.

| Thu 18 Nov 2021 11:28:13 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Clem_Dye

Oh yes, I even logged a case with Humax. Nearly a fortnight later, I’m still waiting for the promised email acknowledging the issue with the 5000T. I think I’ll have to grab a Panasonic box whilst they’re still up for grabs.

| Thu 18 Nov 2021 11:30:39 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

How is everything connected?
    All into soundbar and just TV via arc?
    Or all into TV and TV to soundbar via arc?

| Thu 18 Nov 2021 11:35:00 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.