My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Is it time for a new one?

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Clairabella

Watching through the Humax, the picture is nowhere near as clear as watching the tv directly. This never used to be the case, I couldn't tell the difference. I do have a new tv - Panasonic TX-50DX700B, have also moved house but only one mile and still on same transmitter. I have re-tuned the Humax, both automatically and manually.

The tv shop say I need a new pvr, any other ideas please?

| Wed 1 Nov 2017 12:37:15 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The HDMI inputs on a modern TV have individual adjustments. Panasonics in particular have loads of settings. In all probability you probably just need to setup the TV properly. Start by turning off all so called picture improvement options like frame doubling, auto contrast etc.

There's nothing wrong with the picture quality of a HDR-FOX-T2 I doubt any new one will be any better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1BInFAksmM

| Wed 1 Nov 2017 12:43:51 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Clairabella

Thank you Graham. The picture is actually darker and less sharp than it should be. I'll give the settings on the video a go and feed back.

| Wed 1 Nov 2017 12:51:16 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Clairabella

So, I've altered all the settings on the HDMI input as per video link but it has not resolved the poorer quality picture.
    Given that a new Humax box will not resolve the issue, we'll just continue with this one but use it for recording only and watch TV and catch up directly on the panasonic.

| Wed 1 Nov 2017 14:14:23 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Clairabella - 18 minutes ago  » 
    So, I've altered all the settings on the HDMI input as per video link but it has not resolved the poorer quality picture.
    Given that a new Humax box will not resolve the issue, we'll just continue with this one but use it for recording only and watch TV and catch up directly on the panasonic.

Assuming your Panasonic is like mine there are loads of advanced options. Guessing you need to tweak the gamma options. I take it you was using a HD chaanel like BBC 1 - HD to tweak the settings.

It's asking a lot of the TV to scale a SD 720 x 576 pixel to the 50" 2160p display which actually has 4 times as many pixels as a Full-HD 1920 x 1080 panel.

| Wed 1 Nov 2017 14:37:47 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Clairabella

Yes, I was using an HD channel. In my case 101. I really don't understand what I'm doing tweaking things but I'll try the options on gamma and see if that helps..One thing that I have noticed is that, when watching an HD channel through the Humax, when I press the i button, it does not say that the channel is HD whereas watching directly from the TV it does. Could this be the problem?

We have gone from a 32" Sony to 50" Panasonic, possibly I am expecting too much of the Humax, I was expecting the picture to look the same as before the new tv.

Thanks again for your help Graham

| Wed 1 Nov 2017 16:39:46 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Clairabella - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Yes, I was using an HD channel. In my case 101. I really don't understand what I'm doing tweaking things but I'll try the options on gamma and see if that helps..One thing that I have noticed is that, when watching an HD channel through the Humax, when I press the i button, it does not say that the channel is HD whereas watching directly from the TV it does. Could this be the problem?
    We have gone from a 32" Sony to 50" Panasonic, possibly I am expecting too much of the Humax, I was expecting the picture to look the same as before the new tv.
    Thanks again for your help Graham

If you press the info button on the TV remote it should tell you what the HDR-FOX-T2 is sending out over the HDMI cable.

Using the HDR-FOX-T2 remote and watching it's picture.

Press Vformat once it will tell you what the box is set to output at.

If it says 1080p all is well if not press vformat again to cycle through the available options. My Panny also confirms the resolution change as you do this. If it says 576i or 576p not surprised the picture is poor.

576i 576p 720p 1080i and 1080p. use 1080i or 1080p whichever looks best. No difference with my TV using 1080i or 1080p

| Wed 1 Nov 2017 16:58:29 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Clairabella

Brilliant Graham you've sorted it.It was 576, I've no idea why! The picture is so much better. Now the colour is different, the faces are all too red, I guess this is something I adjust with the colour settings?

Thank you so, so much Graham. You have just saved me the cost of a new Humax.

| Wed 1 Nov 2017 17:14:10 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Clairabella - 14 minutes ago  » 
    Brilliant Graham you've sorted it.It was 576, I've no idea why! The picture is so much better. Now the colour is different, the faces are all too red, I guess this is something I adjust with the colour settings?
    Thank you so, so much Graham. You have just saved me the cost of a new Humax.

You are welcome

Yes you should be able to remove the sunburn effect with the colour controls to get the perfect complexion

You were actually scaling down HD to SD chucking away much of the picture detail and getting the TV to reguess the information lost.

You probably sat far enough away from your smaller TV not to notice the picture artefacts. The epg should also be a lot sharper as it will now be at it's best resolution.

| Wed 1 Nov 2017 17:32:08 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Clairabella

Sorry, don't know how to quote but, the scaling down thing explains why the picture looked so dire and yes, the smaller screen explains why we never noticed before.

Once again. many thanks. Your time and patience with a technophobe is very much appreciated.

| Wed 1 Nov 2017 18:33:59 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.