My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

It’s all gone a bit quiet

(90 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ariharry

It is weird.

They had a burst of activity, fixing bugs, adding features, an impressive showing…

… then nothing, for months.

It wouldn’t surprise me if some of the key developers have left. The tech sector is hot at the moment (software and hardware folk), so that could explain the sudden lack of support.

Humax are no Samsung, e.g. Samsung have thousands of developers who continue to support devices even if key people leave.

| Sun 10 Apr 2022 17:32:37 #41 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

It might make you think twice before rushing out to buy a new product from them?

| Sun 10 Apr 2022 23:10:11 #42 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

phlppip

special member

boogersa - 9 hours ago  » 
    It might make you think twice before rushing out to buy a new product from them?

Too right!

| Mon 11 Apr 2022 9:07:32 #43 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogbody

Its more likely that the code was writen by temporary staff on
    contract - posibly not even UK based.
    Contract finished and they have left.

| Mon 11 Apr 2022 9:27:28 #44 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

bogbody - 9 mins ago  » 
    Its more likely that the code was writen by temporary staff on
    contract - posibly not even UK based.
    Contract finished and they have left.

It wasn't.

| Mon 11 Apr 2022 9:37:01 #45 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

james_uk

special member

I contacted Humax support last night simply asking why there has been no movement with the known issues they have, and if they are still working on fixes.

The response i got was:

Hi James

Unfortunately no new software has been rolled out yet, things like software issues does take time, as it needs to be tested on some devices etc and also it cannot be rushed, so that when it has been applied, then there is not mistakes or software glitches etc.

Best Regards,

Colin
    Humax Customer Support

I would assume if the above was true, the people on here who are part of the beta testing would actually be testing beta releases?

James

| Mon 11 Apr 2022 10:17:45 #46 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

They’re either doing hee-haw or they’re working on a major upgrade related to newer Android? Place your bets! Maybe Colin is unaware of the joint effort between Humax and beta-testers on this site?

| Mon 11 Apr 2022 12:23:24 #47 |
  8. Manclad

Manclad

Personally (and negatively) I get the feeling they released the Aura too early, then folk screamed where is the upgrade to include Netflix, serious (imho) timeshift related failures were reported via paths like this forum, over/under sensitive tuners gave issues... and now Humax realise the box has software issues it's stalling to update (waiting for Android?), or firmware issues it probably can't update, or hardware component issues it's impossible to update without a recall/trade-in.
    Being positive (for a second), it's such a shame as in all other respects the Aura does a great job.

| Mon 11 Apr 2022 16:20:43 #48 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ash21

Hello everyone

I just thought I'd add my two pennies worth to this topic. Now I'm going to start off by saying something here which might seem a bit controversial, but hear me out. The lack of firmware updates since June 2021 (I think) may not be the fault of humour, at least not entirely.

Remember that it was only back in February that all of the Freeview play components in the Google play store were updated to support android 11. There is little point in updating to android 10 as it provides very little benefit over android nine . Indeed, the latest version of Amazon's fire OS platform is based on android nine. Even Nvidia skipped android 10 on the shield and updated straight to android 11 and they did that about two months ago

It's entirely possible that Humax was waiting for the Freeview play components for android to be updated to support android 11 before beginning work on updated firmware. I have no information confirming this course, this is just my opinion

Remember with respect to android TV (Google themselves now refer to android TV as 'android for TV') android TV usually sits about one version behind the phone/tablet version. This has pretty much always been the case. So with respect to the TV version android 11 is the current version, you won't really be seeing anything running android for tv 12 until the end of this year at the earliest

Google TV is still android under the hood as it is only a front-end interface change. Indeed, if you look at the Google developer pages you will find that if you look into Google TV, you'll find the current iteration of it is based on android for TV 12, which when I last checked was still in beta. The Google TV interface is required if you have a device running android for TV 12. It is optional and android 11 , so even if we do get an update to android 11 we might not get the Google TV interface we will have to wait and see and to be honest I would rather they stick with the current interface. If the Google TV interface is more hardware heavy as I would like the Aura to remain as snappy as possible

| Tue 12 Apr 2022 14:25:53 #49 |
  10. woodbar

woodbar

I hope you are right and sometime (never?) we might get the box that all the marketing hype promised as it certainly is not at the moment.

Amongst many other problems I randomly and regularly get the "unable to display.... bla bla HDCP....." despite trying a different TV and multiple cables NEVER had this problem with anything other than the Aura.

I still think they will let this one die and then suddenly announce a new super Aura Plus model which hopefully will have a decent UI which they have thoroughly tested exhaustively - although I won't be buying it.

| Wed 20 Apr 2022 23:10:08 #50 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.