My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

It’s all gone a bit quiet

(90 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

phlppip

special member

woodbar - 8 hours ago  » 
    I hope you are right and sometime (never?) we might get the box that all the marketing hype promised as it certainly is not at the moment.
    Amongst many other problems I randomly and regularly get the "unable to display.... bla bla HDCP....." despite trying a different TV and multiple cables NEVER had this problem with anything other than the Aura.
    I still think they will let this one die and then suddenly announce a new super Aura Plus model which hopefully will have a decent UI which they have thoroughly tested exhaustively - although I won't be buying it.

Me neither after this farce

| Thu 21 Apr 2022 6:28:34 #51 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

technick

Yeah, it is disappointing the lack of updates/fixes for what promised to be something great. My box just gets more issues. I get the HDCP issue a lot recently, just started happening. The box now comes out of deep sleep at night, where for months it happily did what was scheduled. I just hope the reboot issue does not start occurring, if so will consider ditching it.

| Thu 21 Apr 2022 6:30:46 #52 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

phlppip

special member

My box upstairs has now taken to rebooting when watching STV player almost every time. The one downstairs turns itself on and at other times when I turn it on it has picture but no sound not to mention they both have pixelation issues intermittently.

| Thu 21 Apr 2022 10:58:33 #53 |
  4. barrados

barrados

I've always had humax boxes, and do own 2 aura boxes. The box is capable of much more, just needs development. But I don't think there will be any further support, and really think humax will release an new box with a heavy price tag leaving loyal humax users who bought the aura box (boxes) back in the dump to get on with it and put up with the flakey firmware that's full of glitches.
    I was a beta tester, and when the firmware and apps were been developed, it was great. But seems dead in the water now.

| Tue 10 May 2022 21:04:05 #54 |
  5. woodbar

woodbar

I did consider sending mine back under warranty (2 years) but even if they replace it I am not likely to be any better off - and could even get one with more glitches!

I will just put it down to the usual marketing hype (lies) and the contempt that Humax obviously has for it's customers.

I have also had a succession of Humax boxes for many years - some were quite good when fitted with custom firmware - but those days are long gone so this Aura will be my last Humax purchase. When it gives up entirely I will look elsewhere.

At least I have my cheapo Octagon Enigma 2 combi PVR as backup - 1/3rd price of the Aura - better picture - faster response and UI - updated very regularly - never complains about HDCP and HD recordings can be moved and played anywhere!

| Tue 10 May 2022 22:23:47 #55 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

phlppip

special member

I agree with you completely

| Wed 11 May 2022 8:36:04 #56 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rick88

Can you give details of Octagon Enigma 2 combi PVR?
    Many thanks.

| Wed 11 May 2022 8:48:32 #57 |
  8. Manclad

Manclad

barrados - 12 hours ago  » 
    ...... and really think humax will release an new box with a heavy price tag ......

I agree. I believe the Aura products' faults are due to bad hardware components/modules e.g. tuner modules, and not firmware or software. This means the Aura problems will never be fixed without a full product recall, and even then only under the warranty.
    I believe Humax WILL fix the various problems but will be disguised as a release of a new Humax product.

| Wed 11 May 2022 9:42:47 #58 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

MickO

"Are you saying that it will run Jellyfin as a server, a media player only or as a fully functional pvr"

Runs Jellyfin for Android TV media player. If I recall, installable from Google Play Store on the Aura.
    I also run Automate TV app, which reassigns one of the remote control buttons to launch JF. I use JF to watch my networked Win10 mediaserver running JF server, using the remote...

| Thu 12 May 2022 1:27:19 #59 |
  10. woodbar

woodbar

Rick88 - 1 day ago  » 
    Can you give details of Octagon Enigma 2 combi PVR?
    Many thanks.

It's an Octagon SF8008 twin tuner PVR - mine has one terrestrial tuner and one satellite tuner.

Very neat and compact - the only real downside is there is no room for an internal HDD but I have plugged in a 1Tb portable USB drive and it works a treat.

Quite a steep learning curve, especially if you switch the menus to "expert" mode, but there are several different OS you can use - I use OpenTV - and these can be flashed direct to the unit from the internet whilst in your armchair with the remote! You can store several OS images on the unit so you can try a couple of different ones as you please - then there are different "skins" for each OS which changes the look and feel of the OS.

Did I say it was quite a steep learning curve?

It is exceptionally fast both changing channels and within the menus - the picture quality puts the Aura to shame.

The only thing that sometimes gets things in a twist at the moment is the subtitles function is not always in sync with the picture.

Obviously there are loads of alternatives available in various price ranges but I was determined to just try a cheapy as a backup device - this one was about £80 from memory and I had a spare 1Tb USB HDD to use with it.

Gets updated every few days or at least weekly it seems and you can backup your settings or a complete image of the OS (not recordings) beforehand so if the updates throw a wobbly you can revert to your previous settings or image.

Single button press to get to schedule or recordings - single press of red button to delete BUT that goes straight into a trash folder for a programmable time before it is actually erased - you can restore it if needed. Oh, and you can make your own folders in the "movie list". All as Humax SHOULD have done!

Oh, there are a multitude of plug-ins you can add, from a menu, for all manner of add on facilities - some are extremely useful! Many are more useful than the pile of **** that Humax says you can get on their Android Aura and then you find it is very limited and lots of my favourites are either not available or don't work.

Phew, just some quick thoughts, down to you to do some research now!

Hope it helps.

| Thu 12 May 2022 18:34:05 #60 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.