My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

ITV Hub Failing to Open

(21 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

jcwacky

When I select ITV Hub from the On Demand area, it says "Checking Internet Connection...", the screen goes black, and the sound cuts off as if it's about to load, but then I'm just landed back at the live channel I was on before. Other On Demand apps work fine. Any idea what's happening here?

| Thu 4 Feb 2016 12:02:27 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Problems at ITV perhaps, says DownDetector.

http://downdetector.co.uk/problems/itv

Let's hope it may herald an updated player. Long overdue.

| Thu 4 Feb 2016 12:09:33 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

jcwacky

Ah, thanks. Interesting. I had to use it via AirPlay on my Apple TV, and that seemed fine.

Are any other HDR 1000 users out there seeing the same problem?

| Thu 4 Feb 2016 12:24:03 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

It's working on my HDR1000S.

| Thu 4 Feb 2016 12:59:21 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I can never quite get my head around the ITV player other than it's not very good. I have noticed that for example if I miss a programme in a series of episodes then once episode 2 is aired the first episode disappears from the ITV player app on the TV. However, the first episode is still available via a Tablet or computer. If on a Tablet then casting to the TV appears to be disabled.

I often have to find the episode on my Mac and use Airplay to Apple TV in order to watch it. Why do ITV make things so difficult?

| Thu 4 Feb 2016 15:10:09 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

ddubya

Unless you can normally use it no problem, the issue is that you're using a Dumfries postcode and ITV Player isn't available there. I use a borders postcode so I can get ITV HD and BBC One Scotland HD at the same time, but I can't use ITV Player because for some reason my postcode isn't within their area, which is silly really given that they'll let me view ITV.

STV haven't got their act together and sorted out STV Player for Freetime either - but they've just launched on Freeview Play so hopefully not too far off.

| Thu 4 Feb 2016 15:14:13 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

jcwacky

ddubya - 8 minutes ago  » 
    Unless you can normally use it no problem, the issue is that you're using a Dumfries postcode and ITV Player isn't available there. I use a borders postcode so I can get ITV HD and BBC One Scotland HD at the same time, but I can't use ITV Player because for some reason my postcode isn't within their area, which is silly really given that they'll let me view ITV.
    STV haven't got their act together and sorted out STV Player for Freetime either - but they've just launched on Freeview Play so hopefully not too far off.

Ah, ha. Yep, that's why I'm using a borders post code too, and that could well be the issue. To be honest I can't actually remember if I've ever been able to use ITV Hub as I used to have a Roku which I used for it. Still a bit silly that the icon appears in On Demand if it's not actually available though.

Faust » 
    If on a Tablet then casting to the TV appears to be disabled.

AirPlay does work with with the ITV Hub app on an iPad. You can't enable it from the app though, you need to do it from Control Centre (swipe up from bottom), and make sure you enable Mirroring. It still plays full screen this way.

| Thu 4 Feb 2016 15:26:59 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Ah, ha. Yep, that's why I'm using a borders post code too, and that could well be the issue. To be honest I can't actually remember if I've ever been able to use ITV Hub as I used to have a Roku which I used for it. Still a bit silly that the icon appears in On Demand if it's not actually available though.

I believe the player icons get loaded by Freesat. It's ITV who have the obligation to check your postcode.

| Thu 4 Feb 2016 15:37:16 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

jcwacky - 21 minutes ago  » 

ddubya - 8 minutes ago  » 

If on a Tablet then casting to the TV appears to be disabled.

AirPlay does work with with the ITV Hub app on an iPad. You can't enable it from the app though, you need to do it from Control Centre (swipe up from bottom), and make sure you enable Mirroring. It still plays full screen this way.

Ah! but there are other Tablets on the market other than the iPad - which is why I used the term 'Tablet' as opposed to 'iPad'. As said though I can mirror from my Mac.

| Thu 4 Feb 2016 15:50:51 #9 |
  10. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Apologises for not checking this before.

There does indeed appear to be a problem with the just the HDR 1100S and ITV hub as per first post.

Have highlighted to contact at freesat towers.

| Thu 3 Mar 2016 15:44:36 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.