My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Make the On/Off/Recording LED easier to see.

(23 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

uk1 - 5 hours ago  » 
    It is weird that this box was designed and released with such a basic and obvious defect. Not only can this light not be seen but if you do manage to make it "seeable" the light when switched off and recording seems the same colour as when it is switched on, whether recording or not.
    The question that this issue raises, is if this is the best they can do with the more obvious and avoidable "cosmetics" what hope is there for the more important features.

It's been that way since the HDR 2000T and has been the subject of bitter complaints since day 1. It demonstrates the point admirably that companies listen to their customers.

| Thu 23 Nov 2017 22:36:49 #11 |
  2. HughieDad

HughieDad

uk1 - 17 hours ago  » 
    Perhaps Humax should supply the box with a piece of paper and a set of instructions.

How true! Or they could install a little fold-down plastic flap, or miniature roller-blind you could choose to deploy!

Personally, I think it's a cost-saving measure because the LEDs are included on the main circuit board and no fascia hardware is needed.

| Fri 24 Nov 2017 11:18:53 #12 |
  3. Tinker2

Tinker2

After several hours experimenting with acrylic light guides and prisms made of perspex I had to admit that HughieDad's paper solution is simple better and brilliant. However I have one more trick up my sleeve. A small scale prototype of this, using three very short "L" shaped lengths of 1mm plastic "fibre optic" light guide gives a bright display (see photo taken from ten feet away). When I eventually get 1mm acrylic sheet a 10mm wide "L" shaped piece of this will replace the present prototype.
    I will let you know whether this is a success or failure!

Attachments

1. PROTOTYPE.JPG (76.7 KB, 15 downloads) 5 years old
    | Tue 5 Feb 2019 22:10:32 #13 |
  4. Tinker2

Tinker2

Following on yesterday's entry. 1mm acrylic and polycarbonate sheet arrived. Acrylic proved better for use as a light guide..
    Cut 15mm strip and bent using hot air. Bending using near boiling was tricky. Acrylic tended to crack.

With both ends of the guide very finely sanded the display was clearly visible over a wide angle. Polishing both ends produced a smaller display which was sensitive to viewing angle although possibly slightly brighter. At the right angle it was possible to see both the blue and red separately when recording.

Polishing the LED end and very light sanding the viewed end gave the best result in my opinion. This gives a definite, but not outstanding, difference between blue (on) and purple (recording).

Was all the effort worth it? I think so. Whilst the result is only a bit better than HughieDad's paper reflector it is less vulnerable.

Attachments

1. IN-DAYLIGHT.JPG (79 KB, 16 downloads) 5 years old
    2. TAPED.JPG (43.4 KB, 3 downloads) 5 years old
    3. LIGHT-GUIDE-IN-POSITION.JPG (65.4 KB, 2 downloads) 5 years old
    4. HOMEBREW-LIGHT-GUIDE.JPG (100.5 KB, 7 downloads) 5 years old
    | Thu 7 Feb 2019 0:00:23 #14 |
  5. HughieDad

HughieDad

Brilliant in every sense of the word! Sometimes bodgology needs proper physics.

| Thu 7 Feb 2019 12:13:24 #15 |
  6. Skymanuk

Skymanuk

Reading the forum I spotted this post and I caught my eye, I’ve not had my 4000t that long but mine has lights on the front not the underside so I wonder if they have listened to you or I have a really old model before they spoiled it?

Attachments

1. C4437247-A1AC-4A3C-8C82-0C5A058E64B5..jpeg (54.5 KB, 6 downloads) 5 years old
    2. E7B5F8D4-44F3-4FF5-84E1-803956070D6A..jpeg (29.9 KB, 2 downloads) 5 years old
    | Tue 12 Feb 2019 15:23:37 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

You have the old model.

| Tue 12 Feb 2019 15:41:55 #17 |
  8. Skymanuk

Skymanuk

SSThing - 1 hour ago  » 
    You have the old model.

How olds old? I just bought it as a refurbished one ? Appears to work ok but what was made better on the newer ones?

| Tue 12 Feb 2019 17:22:12 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Skymanuk - 17 minutes ago  » 

SSThing - 1 hour ago  » 
    You have the old model.

How olds old? I just bought it as a refurbished one ? Appears to work ok but what was made better on the newer ones?

Nothing

| Tue 12 Feb 2019 17:39:50 #19 |
  10. Stephenesque

Stephenesque

special member

I'm not sure why any light is needed at all. Mine sits inside a media unit behind glass which I've lined with black silk to stop any lights showing through. If it were outside then I would've taped up the light as I have done on my soundbar.
    I hate these twinkling distractions when I'm watching TV, and don't understand the need for them.

| Thu 14 Feb 2019 10:20:27 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.