My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

media file server bundle

(28 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

kevvyb

Hi
    I have just got around to giving this a go based on old post answered by Graham...

previous post - media server bundle

Now on windows 10. Is the following still what I need...

media-file-server-bundle-for-the-foxsat

And also does the firmware upgrade affect recording already on the hard drive in any way? I am assuming the firmware is flashed to a chip in the box...?

Thank you in advance for you help.

| Wed 23 Nov 2016 14:19:39 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Version of Windows is not relevant, all you need is any device with a web browser - PC (any OS), Smart Phone, Tablet etc. It runs in a web browser window(s) with the Foxsat serving the data like any other website. All you need is the local IP address used by your Foxsat. Flashing the firmware gives you access to a basic web page from which you install the full interface and additional Linux packages you require.

It's not actually a firmware upgrade it's a add on that adds the capability to run standard Linux packages on top of the standard Humax settop application (The Box runs open source Linux software). The User Interface on the TV is not altered in any way. It makes vitually no changes to the set top app rather the whole thing runs in the spare Hard Disk space allocated for Music and Jpeg photos.

Flashing the latest version updates the Humax Firmware to the latest in the update from USB procedure.

It has no effect on existing recordings or anything else either.

| Wed 23 Nov 2016 16:01:40 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

kevvyb

Thank you very much. I suspected as much but just wanted to check before launching in.

| Wed 23 Nov 2016 16:04:50 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

kevvyb

Hi Graham

Success. Can see the internal and external hard drives.

Now the inevitable next question if that's ok?

Via the HDR box some of the files that I transferred using the interface native to the HDR box show with a disc and red cross and they cannot be played. Viewing those same files via the web interface does not show this icon or nay indication that there is anything wrong.

Before I start moving anything about between internal and external hard drives I just want to make sure that I do not do anything to make this situation worse.

I now cannot remember if I formatted the external hard drive with EXT2 or 3. There was a comment previously that EXT2 had been found not to work. If I had formatted with EXT2, would I be seeing anything in the web interface on the external hard drive?

Thanks again for your very helpful advise and quick replies.

| Wed 23 Nov 2016 16:41:37 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

It's been a while, if I remember correctly the red cross will be HD recordings that have a copy once restriction and you have done the single allowed copy. The web interface ignores this restriction (and in fact can reset the controlling flag if required, which you might need if for some reason the copy failes, as the flag is set at the start of coying and not after a succesfull copy to usb. However because they remain encrypted the box that recorded them will only play them back and still requires the additional sidecar files. That doesn't mean they can't be played back from a remote drive, the CF has the capability to mount a remote drive as a NAS server using the NASmount package.

You need to read the comprehensive info on the CF at AV Forums. There are some additional features that can't be discussed here.

| Wed 23 Nov 2016 17:00:20 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

kevvyb

ok thanks

| Wed 23 Nov 2016 17:02:36 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

kevvyb

And if I want to move files between the internal and external drives do I need to install another plugin... samba maybe?

| Wed 23 Nov 2016 17:03:27 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

kevvyb - 17 minutes ago  » 
    And if I want to move files between the internal and external drives do I need to install another plugin... samba maybe?

To view the files in Windows Explorer and copy files in the usual way you need the Samba package.

To use FTP client like Filezilla you need one of the ftp packages installed. Windows Explorer can also login using FTP.

If you look at the custom firmware documention pages (the books) there is a guide as to what the optional packages do.

To use FTP client like Filezilla you need one of the ftp packages installed.

| Wed 23 Nov 2016 17:23:59 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

kevvyb

Thank you. Will work it out. Can you just advise again there are a number of files for each recording. I assume they should all be moved.

| Wed 23 Nov 2016 17:26:16 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

kevvyb - 28 minutes ago  » 
    Thank you. Will work it out. Can you just advise again there are a number of files for each recording. I assume they should all be moved.

The three you need for HD/SD playback on the Foxsat are xxx.ts, xxx.hmt and xxx.nts. For SD playback (unencrypted content) on other kit you just need the .ts file. I wouldn't move the files rather copy and then delete the original if you don't need it anymore.

Raydon has a utility called AV2HDR to create the required support files from suitable video files so that the Foxsat will play them back.

| Wed 23 Nov 2016 17:58:07 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.