My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Misses start of programmes

(32 posts)
  1. Hogweed

Hogweed

No, I don't know enough about how this works to conclude it's their fault. Is their satellite timing transmission different from terrestrial then?

| Sat 30 May 2015 19:52:11 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Apparently, if a programme is clipped on Freesat but not on Freeview. I suppose it depends on their playout arrangements.

It doesn't really bother me as long as the clipping is minor and at the beginning - not the end!

| Sat 30 May 2015 20:04:52 #22 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hogweed - 14 hours ago  » 
    No, I don't know enough about how this works to conclude it's their fault. Is their satellite timing transmission different from terrestrial then?

If you tune to a channel you are about to record and keep pressing info. Assuming you have set accurate recording the recording should start when the next programme changes to now. This is down to the broadcaster. If the programme has started before the now/next updates the start of the recording will be clipped until the now status changes to the programme you wish to record.

Alternatively tune to the channel you are about to record and display the most recent recordings. The new programme will be added to the list when recording starts and you can see where it actually started recording.

| Sun 31 May 2015 10:47:23 #23 |
  4. Hogweed

Hogweed

Thanks, that will be interesting to try... still doesn't explain why the Freeview box always gets it bang on though - it always starts JUST before the programme begins, so I assume it's using a timing signal too...

| Sun 31 May 2015 11:02:40 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

grahamlthompson - 28 minutes ago  » 

Hogweed - 14 hours ago  » 

If you tune to a channel you are about to record and keep pressing info. Assuming you have set accurate recording the recording should start when the next programme changes to now. This is down to the broadcaster. If the programme has started before the now/next updates the start of the recording will be clipped until the now status changes to the programme you wish to record.
    Alternatively tune to the channel you are about to record and display the most recent recordings. The new programme will be added to the list when recording starts and you can see where it actually started recording.

The question asked by Hogweed is puzzling, though - to me at any rate. Do the BBC and C4 have different playout arrangements for satellite and terrestrial transmissions? I always thought they did not, but if the AR info is set once for a programme, and then simulcast to all platforms, why would the recording times differ between a Freeview PVR and a Freesat PVR, each using AR?

Once upon a time RedBee used to do all the playout functions for both the BBC and C4, and all was (mostly) well, at least for the BBC, RedBee's parent. Nowadays the BBC is being squeezed and is actually ending its contract with RedBee. I wonder if playout is beginning to show the consequences of all these cuts. Gloom.

http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/news/1305065/

| Sun 31 May 2015 11:11:04 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Hogweed - 9 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks, that will be interesting to try... still doesn't explain why the Freeview box always gets it bang on though - it always starts JUST before the programme begins, so I assume it's using a timing signal too...

BBC programmes are supposed to start on the ident, as a matter of policy, to make sure all those warnings about bad language don't get clipped.

| Sun 31 May 2015 11:13:52 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

JamesB - 2 days ago  » 
    Once upon a time RedBee used to do all the playout functions for both the BBC and C4, and all was (mostly) well, at least for the BBC, RedBee's parent. Nowadays the BBC is being squeezed and is actually ending its contract with RedBee. I wonder if playout is beginning to show the consequences of all these cuts. Gloom.
    http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/news/1305065/

Fortunately, probably, "competitive tender" = "plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose"

Ericsson retains BBC playout contract

The BBC has awarded a seven-year playout services contract to Ericsson, retaining the multi-year deal held by Ericsson’s Red Bee Media.
    [..]
    The contract was awarded following a competitive tender process and includes playout and media management services for the BBC’s portfolio of TV channels in the UK (BBC One, BBC Two, BBC Four, CBeebies and CBBC) and its interactive Red Button service. The contract also includes playout and media management for the BBC’s commercially funded international news channel, BBC World News.

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2015/06/02/ericsson-retains-bbc-playout-contract/

BBC Three conspicuous by its absence.

| Tue 2 Jun 2015 16:55:17 #27 |
  8. Hogweed

Hogweed

Have emailed Channel 4, as that seems to be the most consistently bad channel. Let’s see if they say anything. I’ve noticed, over the last couple of nights, that BBC2HD progs have missed a sizeable chunk; on the other hand, BBC1HD seems to work OK… of course, it may be random, and the pattern illusory.

| Thu 4 Jun 2015 10:09:33 #28 |
  9. Hogweed

Hogweed

Haven’t been able to be in when programmes are starting, in order to monitor the start of the recording (I suppose that’s because I’m out, so I record things )

However, I have noticed that, at least, BBC1 HD seems to start recording a few seconds before the programmes start, as I believe it should (and I think exactly when the Freeview recording starts); and Channel 4 HD always seems to miss the start by a considerable margin… which it doesn't do on Freeview.

Haven't had an answer from C4 yet…

| Tue 9 Jun 2015 22:29:46 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

rkl

I have never *ever* trusted the so-called Accurate Recording with any recorder I've ever had. Some channels are very good with AR (but still you get the odd rare mistake) and others are lousy - it's just too much of a risk in my books to rely on it.

I do wish the end-padding could be a lot longer than 10 minutes though - live programme can sometimes overrun by a lot more than that. I use 2 min before/10 min after for all my recordings, but it would be nice to be able to individually override that for some programmes (particularly live ones as I said).

| Sat 20 Jun 2015 14:11:55 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.