My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Missing start of some recordings

(20 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jeddy

Hi,
    Over the past week or two I'm noticing an increasing number of programs which are missing the start of the recording. It's usually only the first 5 mins or so. It's not a recording conflict as some are when it would have been the only program being recorded. I think it is mostly BBC1 - although that could simply be a reflection of most recordings being BBC1!
    Examples: Mondays Escape to the Country
    Warren
    Panorama

I've not done a reset yet as I don't really want to loose all my settings and schedule if there is another cause or fix.

(Meridian region and 4000T)

Thanks.

| Wed 27 Feb 2019 20:02:27 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

This has been reported numerous times and is a broadcaster issue not a fault with the Humax.

| Thu 28 Feb 2019 8:03:30 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamRHK

special member

This issue is. I think, with the broadcaster rather than the Humax. The thread '5000T Odd Occurrence' has an entry from yesterday which relates to and describes the same issue. In fact it has been an issue with all the Humax PVRs that I have owned over the years - if they are set to record according to the broadcaster schedule rather than by time with padding. I have no knowledge of other PVRs to comment whether they are susceptible to this issue. I think I have noticed that it seems more common on SD channels and less on HD channels - but I have no proof of that. I have never researched the technical details behind the process - it would be interesting to learn from others if there is further detail.

| Thu 28 Feb 2019 8:05:17 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jeddy

Thanks guys. I must be using poor search terms.

I did have a look at the 5000T Odd Occurrence thread, I may be misreading it, but that seems to be a different symptom, although I've no doubt it's the same cause. Interestingly it does report something else I've noticed, namely red dots not appearing in the EPG and sometimes on future scheduled recordings under Schedule.

At least most of the offending programs are on iplayer, so not a real problem.

Jeddy

| Thu 28 Feb 2019 9:40:48 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

I think it is the broadcaster's fault for not inserting the START signal at the correct time.

That being said 99% of my recordings start when the programme starts though quite a few chop off the final minute or so. However a particularly bad example is The Papers on BBC News 24 which often - make that always - misses the first few minutes. Search the forum with CRID.

There are two episodes per night of The Papers and the BBC coded them wrongly so that recording the first caused some of the first and some of the second to be recorded. I complained to the BBC and the BBC fixed it.

Similarly, if I record the new series of Special Victims Unit (on 5USA?) by selecting an episode in the EPG I record that programme and its repeat. However when I look at the recorded episodes, the repeat does not show with a red circle saying it will be recorded ... but it is recorded.

A problem with the Humax is that it comes from South Korea where, presumably, programs start on time! Hence, the feature which shows an image of the screen when the recording starts presumably shows the programme name in Korea whereas in the UK it can show anything but never the programme name.

A more annoying fault is where I attempt to record an entire series and one or two episodes don't get recorded.

Also, when I recorded the BBC Six Nations rugby matches I had expected that I would be recording all BBC matches throughout the tournament. Not so - I had to set it again the next week. At least the BBC now starts the recording when the programme starts - it used to start when the match kicked off.

Make sure that you are correctly tuned. If a station has changed number or multiplex then that might affect whether it is recorded or not.

| Thu 28 Feb 2019 10:09:26 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jeddy

JohnH77 - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Search the forum with CRID.

Thanks for that suggestion! Produces more useful search results than my previous searches!

| Thu 28 Feb 2019 10:19:07 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

See TRANSMISSION RULES FOR THE DVB-T (Terrestrial) NETWORK For New Zealand Free to Air Digital Broadcasting at https://www.freeviewnz.tv/media/1055/freeview_dtt_transmission_rules_2_1.pdf which describes how the CRID works in the New Zealand Freeview.

I expect that UK Freeview is similar but there ought to be a similar UK Freeview document. I couldn't find it with a quick search.

| Thu 28 Feb 2019 10:54:46 #7 |
  8. Stephenesque

Stephenesque

special member

I have also noticed a number of BBC programmes have started missing the first few minutes. This Week and Death In Paradise both did this last night, and there have been other times that it has happened recently. I realise that it's a broadcasting problem and not the Humax, so I really should get in touch to report it.

JohnH77 - 1 day ago  » 

Similarly, if I record the new series of Special Victims Unit (on 5USA?) by selecting an episode in the EPG I record that programme and its repeat. However when I look at the recorded episodes, the repeat does not show with a red circle saying it will be recorded ... but it is recorded.

The same thing happens to me with the SVU recordings, but only if I watch and delete the original recording before the repeat is broadcast. Once the original recording is deleted then the repeat does show up in your schedule and there is a red dot on the EPG. If I keep the recording on my HDD then the repeat does not get recorded.

The same happens for 'Taken' on 5USA and 'Insert Name here' on BBC2.

| Fri 1 Mar 2019 15:35:41 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Its getting worse. Humax 5000T BBC1-HD - Todays Shakespeare And Hathaway Started recording 10 mins late.

| Fri 1 Mar 2019 17:09:24 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

larsson

GrahamRHK - 2 days ago  » 
    This issue is. I think, with the broadcaster rather than the Humax. The thread '5000T Odd Occurrence' has an entry from yesterday which relates to and describes the same issue. In fact it has been an issue with all the Humax PVRs that I have owned over the years - if they are set to record according to the broadcaster schedule rather than by time with padding. I have no knowledge of other PVRs to comment whether they are susceptible to this issue. I think I have noticed that it seems more common on SD channels and less on HD channels - but I have no proof of that. I have never researched the technical details behind the process - it would be interesting to learn from others if there is further detail.

Also on the "BBC One News accurate recording problems " thread which I reported the issue on yesterday, and to which you helpfully replied.

If you are saying you've had this issue on Humax devices over a few years, then I can definitely confirm that I did not get this on the Sony PVR I had for 12 years up until last year. So maybe this is only a combination of the BBC and Humax together. That said this issue is only affecting BBC1 HD at the moment, and our Sony didn't have HD channels.

| Sat 2 Mar 2019 11:34:03 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.