My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

My HDR-1000S 1TB is locking up my home network!

(90 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

grahamlthompson - 3 hours ago  » ...Powerline signalling is used for many mission critical installations (you need to expand your horizons ). ...

I spent 6 years working in telecomms so fortunately my horizons are fairly broad Since we were talking within the narrow confines of the ethernet protocol, if mission critical systems ever adopt ethernet transmission using homeplugs as currently designed and selling for 20+ quid then I will come back here and (as politicians say) eat my hat

| Sun 17 Apr 2016 12:58:14 #71 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

PaulMcI

Pollensa1946 - 2 days ago  » 
    If you Google... GS605v2 ...you'll find lots of issues with that switch.

After finding the issue with the two GS605v2 switches, I
    googled GS605v2 and looked at the webpages found. These pages seemed to be about throughput issues with the switch and it being resolved by replacing its capacitors.

I opened up one of the GS605v2 switches that the Humax box won't work with and looked at its capacitors. These seemed to be fine with no sign of end swelling.

As I have said before, these two GS605v2 switches work fine when used with my other networked equipment but not the HDR-1000S!

| Mon 18 Apr 2016 18:48:24 #72 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

PaulMcI

Faust - 1 day ago  » 
    ... the lights won't be turning green for streaming video in any event.

I installed all the networking cables in my house. The green light on the Netgear switches is a quick way for me to see that all my switches are connecting at gigabit speeds and that there is no cable issues between them (all 4 pairs in a network cable have to be working to achieve gigabit speeds).

| Mon 18 Apr 2016 19:25:24 #73 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

PaulMcI - 34 minutes ago  » 

Faust - 1 day ago  » 
    ... the lights won't be turning green for streaming video in any event.

I installed all the networking cables in my house. The green light on the Netgear switches is a quick way for me to see that all my switches are connecting at gigabit speeds and that there is no cable issues between them (all 4 pairs in a network cable have to be working to achieve gigabit speeds).

But the Humax unit does not use these speeds.

| Mon 18 Apr 2016 20:00:59 #74 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

PaulMcI

REPASSAC - 3 minutes ago  » 

The Humax HDR-1000S unit may not use gigabit speeds, but the daily backup of the two PCs to the QNAP NAS server is faster!

| Mon 18 Apr 2016 20:11:20 #75 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

PaulMcI - 1 hour ago  » 

REPASSAC - 3 minutes ago  » 

The Humax HDR-1000S unit may not use gigabit speeds, but the daily backup of the two PCs to the QNAP NAS server is faster!

My Mac carries out a Time Machine backup to my Synology NAS every other hour but so long as it completes the backup I don't much care about the speed, though it is a gigabit connection. However, my homeplugs have a LED arrangement for speed of connection.

| Mon 18 Apr 2016 21:22:39 #76 |
  7. andyfras

andyfras

PaulMcI - 16 hours ago  » 
    I opened up one of the GS605v2 switches that the Humax box won't work with and looked at its capacitors. These seemed to be fine with no sign of end swelling.

Failed capacitors do not always bulge, but a bulge is a sure sign of failure. The only way to be sure is to use an ESR meter to measure the capacitor.

| Tue 19 Apr 2016 11:38:05 #77 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

PaulMcI

My Humax box and home network have been working fine for over a week so I enabled my Panasonic TV's CEC (Viera Link) several days ago.

Everything has been working fine since.

| Tue 26 Apr 2016 15:28:40 #78 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

PaulMcI - 1 hour ago  » 
    My Humax box and home network have been working fine for over a week so I enabled my Panasonic TV's CEC (Viera Link) several days ago.

I'd rather have my teeth out.

| Tue 26 Apr 2016 16:56:02 #79 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

PaulMcI

Faust - 3 hours ago  » 

PaulMcI - 1 hour ago  » 

I'd rather have my teeth out.

As I have said in previous posts, having CEC enabled on all our TVs allows the non technical folk in my house to power on a HDMI connected Samsung Blu-ray player or Amazon Fire box using their remotes and, provided the TV is in standby mode, the TV will switch on and change to the correct HDMI connection so allowing them to watch a DVD or Amazon TV without having to do anything else (this does not work with the Humax box and its remote which will switch on the TV from standby but does not change to the correct HDMI connection!).

Trust me, having all the TVs in our house enabled for CEC has saved me a lot of time and effort helping the non technical!!

| Tue 26 Apr 2016 21:04:50 #80 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.