My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

My HDR-1000S 1TB is locking up my home network!

(90 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

PaulMcI - 19 hours ago  » 

Faust - 3 hours ago  » 

PaulMcI - 1 hour ago  » 
    My Humax box and home network have been working fine for over a week so I enabled my Panasonic TV's CEC (Viera Link) several days ago.
    Everything has been working fine since.

I'd rather have my teeth out.

As I have said in previous posts, having CEC enabled on all our TVs allows the non technical folk in my house to power on a HDMI connected Samsung Blu-ray player or Amazon Fire box using their remotes and, provided the TV is in standby mode, the TV will switch on and change to the correct HDMI connection so allowing them to watch a DVD or Amazon TV without having to do anything else (this does not work with the Humax box and its remote which will switch on the TV from standby but does not change to the correct HDMI connection!).
    Trust me, having all the TVs in our house enabled for CEC has saved me a lot of time and effort helping the non technical!!

Well I have two Humax PVRs and if I select Viera link (which I currently have switched off) then the correct HDMI input is selected - go figure?

| Wed 27 Apr 2016 16:44:30 #81 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

PaulMcI

After some more investigation it seems that my two Netgear GS605v2 switches may not be faulty after all!

Several weeks ago I bought a new Netgear GS605v4 switch. After working fine for two weeks with no network lockups, I decided to try each of the Netgear GS605v2 switches that had caused the network lockups with this new external power supply.

Each switch was tried with the new power supply for over a week and there were no lockups!

I measured the output voltage of the Netgear power supplies for these two GS605v2 switches using a digital multimeter and it showed 16.8V and 16.6V (both should have been 12V). A clamp meter showed both power supplies providing 0.7A to each switch (BTW, out of curiosity I checked the current output by each power supply using the digital multimeter and these were 6.6A and 6.3A!).

This makes me think that the Netgear power supply may be causing the problem in these Netgear GS605v2 switches that the Humax HDR-1000S doesn't like and results in my home network lockups.

| Mon 9 May 2016 16:02:18 #82 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

PaulMcI

Faust - 1 week ago  » 
    Well I have two Humax PVRs and if I select Viera link (which I currently have switched off) then the correct HDMI input is selected - go figure?

You said 'go figure', so I did. I moved the Humax box from the Panasonic TV's HDMI2 to HDMI1 and this worked because the Viera link is set to Player1.

Note: moving the Humax box to HDMI1 is now OK as I no longer have it linked to the Freesat Android app (see my post on this subject back in November 2014).

However, the CEC implementation of the Humax HDR-1000S is not selecting the correct HDMI channel if it is connected to the HDMI2 or HDMI3 channels!

My Amazon Fire box is connected to HDMI2 and the Samsung Blu-ray player connected to HDMI3 and waking each with its remote powers on the Panasonic TV from standby and selects the correct HDMI channel!!

| Mon 9 May 2016 16:41:44 #83 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

PaulMcI - 20 minutes ago  » 

Faust - 1 week ago  » 

You said 'go figure', so I did. I moved the Humax box from the Panasonic TV's HDMI2 to HDMI1 and this worked because the Viera link is set to Player1.
    Note: moving the Humax box to HDMI1 is now OK as I no longer have it linked to the Freesat Android app (see my post on this subject back in November 2014).
    However, the CEC implementation of the Humax HDR-1000S is not selecting the correct HDMI channel if it is connected to the HDMI2 or HDMI3 channels!
    My Amazon Fire box is connected to HDMI2 and the Samsung Blu-ray player connected to HDMI3 and waking each with its remote powers on the Panasonic TV from standby and selects the correct HDMI channel!!

That's because HDMI1 on many Panasonic TV's has a non standard (non cec) auto select capability. It works the same way as auto hdmi switches in that it detects port activity and selects the port. In the case of a auto switch the last energised port is selected unless you use a remote or buttons on the switch to change the selected port. If you connect many Humax units to such a port then because the hdmi port is energised for a short period when they wake to make a recording and you happen to be watching TV you lose your programme for a brief period.

| Mon 9 May 2016 17:06:44 #84 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

fedman1

special member

PaulMcI - 1 hour ago  » 
    I measured the output voltage of the Netgear power supplies for these two GS605v2 switches using a digital multimeter and it showed 16.8V and 16.6V (both should have been 12V). A clamp meter showed both power supplies providing 0.7A to each switch (BTW, out of curiosity I checked the current output by each power supply using the digital multimeter and these were 6.6A and 6.3A!).
    This makes me think that the Netgear power supply may be causing the problem in these Netgear GS605v2 switches that the Humax HDR-1000S doesn't like and results in my home network lockups.

Did you measure the voltages on these two supplies on or off load? Stabilised power supplies can give incorrect voltage readings if no current is being drawn. Also it is very unlikely that both supplies have failed in the same way.

| Mon 9 May 2016 18:04:44 #85 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

PaulMcI

fedman1 - 42 minutes ago  » 
    Did you measure the voltages on these two supplies on or off load? Stabilised power supplies can give incorrect voltage readings if no current is being drawn. Also it is very unlikely that both supplies have failed in the same way.

All voltages were measured off load.

Each power supply for my 3x Netgear GS605v2 output from 16.3V to 16.8V.

I checked the voltage off load of the power supplies for my 4 other Netgear switches (GS108v3, GS105v4, GS608v3, GS605v4) and the output was in the range 12.1V to 12.2V.

You may be correct about it being unlikely that two power supplies have failed. I may have swapped in my spare GS605v2 switch without also swapping in its power supply.

Some weeks ago I tried the GS605v2 switch and its power supply from the study, position 1), downstairs at position 3) and it worked fine without any network lockups.

I can check the two Netgear power supplies one at time with the GS605v2 switch at position 3) to see which one causes the network lockup problems.

| Mon 9 May 2016 19:17:21 #86 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I have had excellent service from the TP-Link TL-SG108 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet switch. I have two Humax boxes and various other AV gear routed through one of these. This in turn is then connected to an ultra reliable Devolo Homeplug before making its way back to my BT HomeHub 5.

| Mon 9 May 2016 22:49:14 #87 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

PaulMcI

fedman1 - 1 week ago  » 
    <snip> Also it is very unlikely that both supplies have failed in the same way.

I checked the two Netgear power supplies one at time with the GS605v2 switch at position 3).

The first power supply was tried for over a week and the Humax box working fine during this time. I measured the current to the switch many times and it was between 0.25A to 0.27A.

Then I tried the second power supply. The initial current to the switch was 0.29A and within an hour the Humax locked up when I powered it on from standby using its remote. I checked the current to the switch and it was 0.19A.

Note: the current was measured each time using a clamp meter.

So fedman1, you were correct and only one of the power supplies is faulty.

The current supplied by this faulty power supply drops off from its initial level and my guess is that when it gets below a certain value (0.2V?) the Netgear switch no longer works correctly which then causes the Humax box to lock up.

| Sat 21 May 2016 23:03:40 #88 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

fedman1

special member

PaulMcI - 16 hours ago  » 
    The first power supply was tried for over a week and the Humax box working fine during this time. I measured the current to the switch many times and it was between 0.25A to 0.27A.
    Then I tried the second power supply. The initial current to the switch was 0.29A and within an hour the Humax locked up when I powered it on from standby using its remote. I checked the current to the switch and it was 0.19A.
    The current supplied by this faulty power supply drops off from its initial level and my guess is that when it gets below a certain value (0.2V?) the Netgear switch no longer works correctly which then causes the Humax box to lock up.

I'm glad you sorted the mystery of the 2 power supplies.
    Given your current measurements, I would suspect, as you do that the reduced current is due to the voltage droping from its initial value. This then causes problems within the switcher.
    The most likly fault is with one or more capacitors within the power block. Unfortunately they are usually sealed in the brick and are not accesible for repacement. Also any attempt at opening and repairing such a power unit is frowned upon by the dreaded health and safety, it also may be illegal.
    Regards

| Sun 22 May 2016 15:24:21 #89 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

PaulMcI

fedman1 - 4 days ago  » 
    I'm glad you sorted the mystery of the 2 power supplies.
    Given your current measurements, I would suspect, as you do that the reduced current is due to the voltage droping from its initial value. <snip>

That was a typo - it should have been 0.2A.

After identifying the faulty power supply I connected it to a standalone Netgear switch and then monitored it for some days recording the current with the clamp meter and its off load voltage with a digital multimeter.

The current started at 0.29A, then 0.19A and after several days it measured 0.03A!

I checked the off load voltage immediately after taking the clamp meter current reading and it was consistently between 16.1V to 16.3V.

| Thu 26 May 2016 20:43:37 #90 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.