My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

My wife reformatted the disk

(3 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

BillBarksfield

We've been having some problems with our faithful old Foxsat HDR and from time to time it came up with "Reformat disk ?" I was always careful not to say "Yes" and found that turning off and turning on again usually fixed it. My wife got the message yesterday and said yes. Result: apparently empty disk, loss of all recordings. I'm fairly sure they are all there if only I knew how to get them back. I immediately turned off the machine and I've got the disk out and plugged into my PC (not reformatted there just plugged in). I've been reading about humaxrw and humaxcheck but they appear to be for a different model. Have we lost everything? Or is there any way back?

| Mon 22 Jan 2018 19:36:47 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi welcome to our forum. Humaxrw is for the old SD 9200/9300 models. The Foxsat uses the Linux EXT3 file system so not accessible to Windows without a Linux FS driver or booting the PC into Linux.

If you had installed the custom firmware you could have exported the recordings direct to a PC or alternatively installed a new hard disk, stuck the old hard disk in a usb sata drive cradle and copied the existing recordings to a new hard disk (or played them back from usb). Pretty sure with the FS being Linux the format will deleted the recordings for ever.

Without the format, the entire disk may well have been recoverable using the custom firmware maintenance mode.

| Mon 22 Jan 2018 19:46:03 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

BillBarksfield - 2 minutes ago  » 
    I've been reading about humaxrw and humaxcheck but they appear to be for a different model.

You are correct, they are of no use for your problem.

Have we lost everything? Or is there any way back?

I think in practical terms you have lost everything. I think all the program data will still be present on the disk. If you really want to try and recover the recordings then you might want to experiment with Linux based EXT2/EXT3 file recovery software eg https://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/recover-ext2-ext3-drive.htm but I don't recollect anybody on here reporting having recovered things when in your situation.

| Mon 22 Jan 2018 19:49:03 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.