My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Netflix: Reason it’s not included-What we can do.

(22 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

danny121pt

This version is a patched apk which involves zero mouse needed, but only outputs in 480p at 1750kbps.

Unofficial method and of course edited

https://mega.nz/file/YchjjK6J#PZoRxSQMZ2br-Epf2JltvLC0EWdfVjcmUwHVGqvfr5c

Or if want one that outputs at 1080 at 5800kbps then you can google Netflix Version 4.16.3 patched apk and on xda forums you will find it, but need mouse as mobile based.

Unless Humax gets a cert, which is doubtful there is work arounds. Although all at own risk.

| Tue 29 Dec 2020 13:48:25 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

danny121pt

MattB1 - 2 days ago  » 
    One thing I don't understand, I have a Chomecast (Gen 1) and it's running Cast Firmware 1.36.157768. With this, I am able to cast from the Netflix app on my mobile.
    On the Aura, the Cast Firmware is 1.50.228700. With this one, I can cast from other Apps on my mobile, but Netflix app doesn't show as an option.
    As I understand this version of cast firmware is specific to Android Tv, so I wonder if other products using this same cast firmware are also blocked by the netflix app?
    The only other option I have used successfuly with Netflix, is running Google Chrome web browser on Windows laptop, load up Netflix, and then cast from inside Google Chrome, and that worked ok direct to Humax Aura.
    If we can't convince Netflix to allow the app direction on the Aura (becasue of the Amazon Prime App), allowing the Mobile Netflix app to be able to Cast to the Aura should be the second request which I don't understand why they have blocked.
    Having searched the internet, there seems to be lots of people complaining that Netflix has been removed from Google TV at end of November, so may be this is a bigger thing between Netflix/Google and Humax are just stuck in the middle...

Its merely due to Netflix being weird they do it to many devices, unless Humax pay xyz until its retails 1 million unit sales and bows to all their demands and hoops they want companies to jump thru, then it will never be on Humax.

| Tue 29 Dec 2020 13:53:18 #12 |
  3. Shaunhoare

Shaunhoare

danny121pt - 19 mins ago  » 
    This version is a patched apk which involves zero mouse needed, but only outputs in 480p at 1750kbps.
    Unofficial method and of course edited
    https://mega.nz/file/YchjjK6J#PZoRxSQMZ2br-Epf2JltvLC0EWdfVjcmUwHVGqvfr5c
    Or if want one that outputs at 1080 at 5800kbps then you can google Netflix Version 4.16.3 patched apk and on xda forums you will find it, but need mouse as mobile based.
    Unless Humax gets a cert, which is doubtful there is work arounds. Although all at own risk.

Thank you for the explaining! That’s awesome.

Okay, so I’ve seen on Reddit there are 2 other potential ways to get a better Netflix. If you don’t mind trying either that would be awesome as I have to wait another week to get my Aura sadly.

Option one: Download AptoidTV, then get Netflix through that app.

Option two: On Kodi add the Netflix add-on from GitHub which supports 4K, Atmos, etc. https://github.com/CastagnaIT/plugin.video.netflix

If anyone can see if either of these work I’d be in your debt, and it will help the whole community who need Netflix on the Aura.

| Tue 29 Dec 2020 14:11:39 #13 |
  4. slideyfoot

slideyfoot

That seems weird, as Netflix presumably was included on previous Humax products (like the FVP-5000T I just upgraded to, having previously had an old non-WiFi enabled Humax box for a few years) despite them not being immediately popular either?

Though I've only just signed up to the forum (to check if I could get Disney+ working on my 5000T: it would appear not, from what I read), so very possible I'm missing something.

| Wed 30 Dec 2020 9:09:24 #14 |
  5. Shaunhoare

Shaunhoare

slideyfoot - 1 hour ago  » 
    That seems weird, as Netflix presumably was included on previous Humax products (like the FVP-5000T I just upgraded to, having previously had an old non-WiFi enabled Humax box for a few years) despite them not being immediately popular either?
    Though I've only just signed up to the forum (to check if I could get Disney+ working on my 5000T: it would appear not, from what I read), so very possible I'm missing something.

Hah. That’s weird. Yours can have Netflix but no Disney+, but Aura can get Disney+ but no Netflix.

In the end I have a modded 480p Netflix sideloaded as it seems to be the highest quality possible without a mouse. Looks like 2009.

| Wed 30 Dec 2020 10:15:55 #15 |
  6. slideyfoot

slideyfoot

Yep, does seem rather silly. Presumably it is a software issue either way, so plausible that Humax could simply send out an update that would mean both the 5000T could run Disney+ and the Aura could run Netflix (presuming Humax got the necessary agreements sorted)? Though I'm not sure how it works, perhaps it is a hardware thing after all.

| Wed 30 Dec 2020 10:21:28 #16 |
  7. Shaunhoare

Shaunhoare

slideyfoot - 12 mins ago  » 
    Yep, does seem rather silly. Presumably it is a software issue either way, so plausible that Humax could simply send out an update that would mean both the 5000T could run Disney+ and the Aura could run Netflix (presuming Humax got the necessary agreements sorted)? Though I'm not sure how it works, perhaps it is a hardware thing after all.

So, apparently Netflix needs a DRM hardware chip for you to be able to be certified which perhaps the Aura doesn’t have installed. If this is the case, the Aura can never get Netflix and will be stuck with what seems like a 20 year step back in quality.

| Wed 30 Dec 2020 10:35:25 #17 |
  8. mhargreaves

Mark Hargreaves

special member

If it's to do with the box being 'popular', the irony is that Netflix being included would probably increase its popularity!

| Sat 2 Jan 2021 12:09:43 #18 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

slideyfoot - 3 days ago  » 

Most Disney+ content is 4K-HDR, Why would it make sense to add a a app to a box that at best can do 1080p50. ?

Best way is a 4K firestick though you need a good system to make full use of the Dolby Atmos content.

Taking Mulan as an example.

4K Firestick - Dolby Vision playback - Atmos sound

Aura 4K HDR playback 5.1 surround.

No problem with Netflix or Now TV on a firestick either.

| Sat 2 Jan 2021 12:22:06 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Shaunhoare - 3 days ago  » 
    So, apparently Netflix needs a DRM hardware chip for you to be able to be certified which perhaps the Aura doesn’t have installed.

The Humax FVP-5000T has Netflix and I seriously doubt that the Aura has less DRM capability so I don't think your suggestion is valid.

| Sat 2 Jan 2021 13:22:48 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.