My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Network issues

(29 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

larkim - 9 hours ago  » 

rich19861112 - 12 hours ago  » 
    Also I have noticed that the gigabit ethernet port does not run at high speed. I have 900 Mb broadband. Nvidia shield I get over 800mb. Same cable put into the aura gives a max of 220ish.

900Mb *broadband*?

He's not talking about broadband just usb 3.0 transfer speeds. Firewire has the fastest sustained speed.

Virgin only goes up to 200Mbps.

| Mon 19 Apr 2021 15:19:32 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grahamlthompson - 3 mins ago  » 
    He's not talking about broadband just usb 3.0 transfer speeds. Firewire has the fastest sustained speed.

To quote he said "Also I have noticed that the gigabit ethernet port does not run at high speed". Do you really think that is referring to USB 3.0 transfers?

| Mon 19 Apr 2021 15:25:01 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Martin Liddle - 8 mins ago  » 

I don't have any video files with a bitrate anywhere near as fast as a USB3.0 port can copy data. BBC-HD recordings have an average bitrate of around 7000Kbps

To quote he said "Also I have noticed that the gigabit ethernet port does not run at high speed". Do you really think that is referring to USB 3.0 transfers?

I think he is referring to the speeds he gets from a Nvidia shield. The Aura usb speeds are cpu limited by the level of interrupts used to service the usb ports. They have to steal clock cycles when the cpu allows it.

| Mon 19 Apr 2021 15:36:23 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grahamlthompson - 4 mins ago  » 

I don't have any video files with a bitrate anywhere near as fast as a USB3.0 port can copy data. BBC-HD recordings have an average bitrate of around 7000Kbps

I think he is referring to the speeds he gets from a Nvidia shield.

Agreed. He is doing a comparison between the ethernet speeds of the two devices isn't he? Both devices have gigabit ethernet ports and he is comparing the observed speeds.

The Aura usb speeds are cpu limited by the level of interrupts used to service the usb ports. They have to steal clock cycles when the cpu allows it.

Where does USB come into this?

| Mon 19 Apr 2021 15:44:42 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Martin Liddle - 5 mins ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 4 mins ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 3 mins ago <a
    href="https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/network-issues/page/2#post-89819"> » 

I think he is referring to the speeds he gets from a Nvidia shield.

Agreed. He is doing a comparison between the ethernet speeds of the two devices isn't he? Both devices have gigabit ethernet ports and he is comparing the observed speeds.

The Aura usb speeds are cpu limited by the level of interrupts used to service the usb ports. They have to steal clock cycles when the cpu allows it.

Where does USB come into this?

The aura has a blue usb 3.0 port on the rear along with a usb2.0 port. The blue one when used to playback content is no faster than the 2.0 port.

Both are fast enough to playback any video files I have.

My ethernet port is restricted to about 300MBPS by the home plug pair used to connect.

No issue using the same pair for Disney+ 4K content.

| Mon 19 Apr 2021 15:52:19 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

grahamlthompson - 16 mins ago  » 

I think he is referring to the speeds he gets from a Nvidia shield. The Aura usb speeds are cpu limited by the level of interrupts used to service the usb ports. They have to steal clock cycles when the cpu allows it.

Where on earth does USB come into the equation when the OP is talking about gigabit ethernet ports, which are clearly *not* USB 3.0 ports?

| Mon 19 Apr 2021 15:54:06 #16 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

larkim - 4 mins ago  » 

Where on earth does USB come into the equation when the OP is talking about gigabit ethernet ports, which are clearly *not* USB 3.0 ports?

The aura does not have a gigabit ethernet port. Why would it need one. 100Mbps is fast enough for any of the streaming services.

No idea about the Shield but again why gigabit ?

It's a similar device to a 4K firestick and that only has optional cat 5 ethernet socket.

| Mon 19 Apr 2021 16:00:00 #17 |
  8. Mars

Mars

special member

grahamlthompson - 12 mins ago  » 

larkim - 4 mins ago  » 

The aura does not have a gigabit ethernet port. Why would it need one. 100Mbps is fast enough for any of the streaming services.
    It's a similar device to a 4K firestick and that only has optional cat 5 ethernet socket.

It does according to Humax!
    https://uk.humaxdigital.com/product/aura-uhd-android-tv-recorder/

| Mon 19 Apr 2021 16:13:49 #18 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Mars - 27 mins ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 12 mins ago  » 

larkim - 4 mins ago  » 

It does according to Humax!
    https://uk.humaxdigital.com/product/aura-uhd-android-tv-recorder/

Which streaming source gets anywhere near 1Gbps ? The spec I read just says ethernet yes.

Disney+ 4K HDR with Atmos Audio is likely the highest. This is just 25Mbps easily obtainable with a 100Mbps connection. Still not sure how the speed is being measured.

| Mon 19 Apr 2021 16:43:24 #19 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Can anyone find a UK Broadband supplier who offers 900Mbps ? Highest I can find is Virgin at 200Mbps.

| Mon 19 Apr 2021 17:14:11 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.