My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Network issues

(29 posts)
  1. Mars

Mars

special member

grahamlthompson - 2 mins ago  » 
    Can anyone find a UK Broadband supplier who offers 900Mbps ? Highest I can find is Virgin at 200Mbps.

Virgin offer 1Gbps on my road! FTTP provides gigabit broadband in some places.

| Mon 19 Apr 2021 18:18:37 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

arthill

...as indeed do HeyBroad band in ours!

| Mon 19 Apr 2021 18:21:17 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

grahamlthompson - 56 mins ago  » 

Mars - 27 mins ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 12 mins ago  » 

larkim - 4 mins ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 16 mins ago  » 

Martin Liddle - 8 mins ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 3 mins ago  » 
    He's not talking about broadband just usb 3.0 transfer speeds. Firewire has the fastest sustained speed.
    I don't have any video files with a bitrate anywhere near as fast as a USB3.0 port can copy data. BBC-HD recordings have an average bitrate of around 7000Kbps

To quote he said "Also I have noticed that the gigabit ethernet port does not run at high speed". Do you really think that is referring to USB 3.0 transfers?

I think he is referring to the speeds he gets from a Nvidia shield. The Aura usb speeds are cpu limited by the level of interrupts used to service the usb ports. They have to steal clock cycles when the cpu allows it.

Where on earth does USB come into the equation when the OP is talking about gigabit ethernet ports, which are clearly *not* USB 3.0 ports?

The aura does not have a gigabit ethernet port. Why would it need one. 100Mbps is fast enough for any of the streaming services.
    No idea about the Shield but again why gigabit ?
    It's a similar device to a 4K firestick and that only has optional cat 5 ethernet socket.

It does according to Humax!
    https://uk.humaxdigital.com/product/aura-uhd-android-tv-recorder/

Which streaming source gets anywhere near 1Gbps ? The spec I read just says ethernet yes.
    Disney+ 4K HDR with Atmos Audio is likely the highest. This is just 25Mbps easily obtainable with a 100Mbps connection. Still not sure how the speed is being measured.

How about between devices on a network for copying data between. It might not need much use, but the OP was clear about gigabit ethernet and that was indeed the spec for the box's ethernet port.

| Mon 19 Apr 2021 18:41:51 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

rich19861112

larkim - 3 hours ago  » 

rich19861112 - 3 hours ago  » 

larkim - 5 hours ago  » 

rich19861112 - 12 hours ago  » 
    Also I have noticed that the gigabit ethernet port does not run at high speed. I have 900 Mb broadband. Nvidia shield I get over 800mb. Same cable put into the aura gives a max of 220ish.

900Mb *broadband*?

Well 924 to be precise

Jealous! What's the product?

Just bt fibre to the premises. Up to 1gb

| Mon 19 Apr 2021 19:29:47 #24 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

rich19861112 - 10 mins ago  » 

larkim - 3 hours ago  » 

larkim - 5 hours ago  » 

Also I have noticed that the gigabit ethernet port does not run at high speed. I have 900 Mb broadband. Nvidia shield I get over 800mb. Same cable put into the aura gives a max of 220ish.

900Mb *broadband*?

Well 924 to be precise

And if you were lucky enough to have speeds like this. What difference would it make to the Aura's performance ?

| Mon 19 Apr 2021 19:42:14 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

rich19861112

grahamlthompson - 5 hours ago  » 

rich19861112 - 10 mins ago  » 

larkim - 3 hours ago  » 

larkim - 5 hours ago  » 

900Mb *broadband*?

Well 924 to be precise

And if you were lucky enough to have speeds like this. What difference would it make to the Aura's performance ?

It looks like the aura box has some sort of cap as it will only allow like 230meg ish. Nvidia shield on same cable gives 800 meg

| Tue 20 Apr 2021 0:58:31 #26 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

As Graham says it would make no difference to performance. I don't expect that the Aura has anything like the chipset the Nvidia has, nor would you want to pay more for it.

| Tue 20 Apr 2021 7:45:10 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

rich19861112 - 7 hours ago  » 
    It looks like the aura box has some sort of cap as it will only allow like 230meg ish. Nvidia shield on same cable gives 800 meg

Humax have always tended to specify the performance of the chipsets in their boxes to be enough to handle the maximum workload with only a small safety margin. I am not surprised that the Humax network performance is slower than the Nvidia.

| Tue 20 Apr 2021 8:39:52 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

It's a fair point to ask what use a gigabit port is on a PVR which is mainly used for streaming services (which inherently will be relatively undemanding of the capacity of a gigabit ethernet port).

But it is also fair to observe that if a gigabit port is specified on the product that it should be capable of being used at or close to that capacity.

If you had a 1Gig FTTP connection and you were perhaps wanting to use the PVR to copy files to and from remotely, or even if you just wanted fast copying of files across a gigabit switched LAN, you'd be a bit miffed if it was capped at 220Mbit speeds without any manufacturer's warning about such a limit, even if such use would be fairly niche and the difference between 220Mbit copying speed and 1Gbit was unlikely to have much really significant consequence.

| Tue 20 Apr 2021 12:11:45 #29 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.