My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

New 1100S owner thoughts

(30 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Reffub - 7 minutes ago  » 

Faust - 54 minutes ago  » 

I have set a recording for Tipping Point ITV-HD 16:00 today to check if I can replicate the resume issue. Intend to watch for the recording to start, start play back for about 10 mins and stop playback. Then turn off TV till after recording has completed and look what playback options are offered. On reflection sometimes I may have left playback enabled when the actual programme content had finished.

What I find if I start to watch a recorded programme with the 1000s whilst it is still recording is that when I go back into the recordings section the recording circle is still 'full moon' indicating not watched.

Graham, why are you looking to see what playback options are offered, that is a complete waste of time, the circle will be full as Faust has said and there will be no option available to resume the recording. That is not being disputed.
    As I said before don't bother to press OK just highlight the recording in the list and press the PLAY button and it will resume every time . It isn't that difficult.

Because that is the bug. There should be a resume option, as there is on all other Humax boxes. It's clear the box knows where you have watched to, how hard can it be to properly implement it. If you stop while the recording is still ongoing, you get the resume option displayed when you play the recording again.

| Sat 11 Feb 2017 13:15:06 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Yes we know that under certain circumstances the part watched circle icon has a bug it has done that for 5 years. So again I'm just wondering why are you wasting your time replicating a 5 year old bug that hasn't been and won't be fixed ?
    There will be no resume option and the circle will be full.

I told you how to resume all recordings and it doesn't involve pressing OK and looking for options. (And you implied I was stupid ! )

| Sat 11 Feb 2017 13:51:56 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Geoff_T

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 

Geoff_T - 34 minutes ago  » 

Faust - 8 minutes ago  » 

Geoff_T -

I'm not talking about bugs, although my 1100s had plenty of those, I'm talking about the way the system operates. I found the 1100s very unintuitive and long winded. It seems they made a conscious decision not to use the coloured buttons on the remote for anything in the menus. This means almost every action requires more button presses than the equivalent on Sky. A good example is simply deleting the program you have just watched on planner. It's one button press on the yellow button on Sky, but several on the 1100s (OK,down,down,select,confirm IIRC). To be fair, the HDR FOX T2 isn't much better for that but elsewhere it's menu system is much clearer and more intuitive than the 1100s in my opinion. The 1100s system has the feel of being designed to look pretty ahead of being usable. A perfect example of style over substance.
    I hear what you say and some of this is true. However, the one button press (yellow) on the Sky box was/is in my opinion not a good thing. I can't tell you how many times the wrong programme was deleted by accident when we had Sky. The 'are you sure' prompt is a much better fail safe device IMO. You can have the one button delete on our Youview box or you can opt fro a 'prompt' as well. I have set mine up for the additional 'prompt'.

But if you deleted the wrong program on Sky it is not a problem because it just goes into the deleted area and can be retrieved. That is the perfect solution I think - make it easy to do, but reversible. I've added a [deleted] folder on my HDR using the custom firmware for just that reason. You can set how long they stay there before actually being deleted.

That was only on the later boxes. It didn't work on our old 'silver' Sky+ box. When it was gone it was gone.

I know it was a feature that was added to our box via an update, but that was some while back.

But the 1100s is the very latest Freesat box, I had expected it would take all of the good features of it's own predecessors and those of it's competitors. In my opinion though it is worse than both my 3 year old SkyHD box and my 7 year old HDR Fox T2.

I'd also love to know how the daft "led shining down on the surface below the box" got approval too. You can imagine the meeting -

Design Meeting Chairman "OK chaps we need a way to indicate to the user what mode the box is in".

Mr Sensible Engineer "So a small but easily visible LED on the front panel, maybe in the form of a circle like we've done before or maybe simple red and blue dots?"

Mr Style Guru "Na sooooooooooo boring and last century! Let's put an LED underneath the unit shining down like the Blue LEDs under the back of my Citroën Saxo."

Mr Sensible Engineer "But then visibility will depend entirely on what type of surface it is on and it will be very hard to see under many lighting conditions"

Mr Style Guru "But it's cool guy, who cares if it works?"

Design Meeting Chairman "I like it, we need to be down with the kids, so that's agreed. Now how can we make the menus so unfriendly only a 14 year old geek can follow them?"

| Sat 11 Feb 2017 14:25:43 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Reffub

As I said before don't bother to press OK just highlight the recording in the list and press the PLAY button and it will resume every time . It isn't that difficult.

Yes, what you say is true. To be honest I found this way of resuming quite by accident but as you say it works so whilst it may not be intuitive, it does work so problem solved.

| Sat 11 Feb 2017 15:13:56 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Geoff_T -

I know it was a feature that was added to our box via an update, but that was some while back.
    But the 1100s is the very latest Freesat box, I had expected it would take all of the good features of it's own predecessors and those of it's competitors. In my opinion though it is worse than both my 3 year old SkyHD box and my 7 year old HDR Fox T2.
    I'd also love to know how the daft "led shining down on the surface below the box" got approval too. You can imagine the meeting -
    Design Meeting Chairman "OK chaps we need a way to indicate to the user what mode the box is in".
    Mr Sensible Engineer "So a small but easily visible LED on the front panel, maybe in the form of a circle like we've done before or maybe simple red and blue dots?"
    Mr Style Guru "Na sooooooooooo boring and last century! Let's put an LED underneath the unit shining down like the Blue LEDs under the back of my Citroën Saxo."
    Mr Sensible Engineer "But then visibility will depend entirely on what type of surface it is on and it will be very hard to see under many lighting conditions"
    Mr Style Guru "But it's cool guy, who cares if it works?"
    Design Meeting Chairman "I like it, we need to be down with the kids, so that's agreed. Now how can we make the menus so unfriendly only a 14 year old geek can follow them?"

TBH I think the development of the G2 boxes has been minimal if anything at all since the 1000s was released 4 years ago. The platform appears to be starved of funds by it's shareholders.

Regarding the status lights. It appears to be a Humax 'thing'. Our BT Youview box is similar. Whole red is for low power standby. Red and Blue mixed to make lilac is for box ready in low eco mode (juiced up and ready to go) blue on the left and blue on the right means 'on' with active network connection and blue either side with red in the middle means on and recording.

We have a glass TV stand so the lights work very well as you get the reflection.

| Sat 11 Feb 2017 15:27:27 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Faust - 45 minutes ago  » 

Reffub

Yes, what you say is true. To be honest I found this way of resuming quite by accident but as you say it works so whilst it may not be intuitive, it does work so problem solved.

Agree, now if it was only possible to stop Graham from posting that the "resume feature doesn't work" and "the annoying loss of resume if you watch in chasing playback and quit before the recording has finished"

It's only annoying if you don't know how to resume and you've got to go find where you were in Emmerdale.

| Sat 11 Feb 2017 16:00:29 #26 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Would have been back sooner but Tipping Point was delayed. I did try same on a Channel 4+1 recording and pressing play started at the beginning not the point viewed to. On the ITV-HD recording pressing play did start at the viewed to point. Need to try some more but on just two recordings it certainly isn't fool pproof.

| Sat 11 Feb 2017 19:23:30 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

grahamlthompson - 2 hours ago  » 
    Would have been back sooner but Tipping Point was delayed. I did try same on a Channel 4+1 recording and pressing play started at the beginning not the point viewed to. On the ITV-HD recording pressing play did start at the viewed to point. Need to try some more but on just two recordings it certainly isn't fool pproof.

Has always worked 100% of the time for me and I've been doing it for 5 years. I always just pressed play to resume on my Foxsat HDR so I easily found the work around for the resume icon bug on the 1000s.
    Can't say I watch much SD though but I can't see why that would make any difference.

| Sat 11 Feb 2017 21:58:09 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Reffub - 2 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 2 hours ago  » 

Has always worked 100% of the time for me and I've been doing it for 5 years. I always just pressed play to resume on my Foxsat HDR so I easily found the work around for the resume icon bug on the 1000s.
    Can't say I watch much SD though but I can't see why that would make any difference.

I watch quite a bit of SD and haven't noticed any difference with the workaround/just hit play feature. It works for me as far as I can remember 100% of the time SD/HD.

| Sun 12 Feb 2017 0:17:59 #29 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Going to continue the discussion on the new thread which is more on topic.

| Sun 12 Feb 2017 11:08:36 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.