My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

New software version 3.00.77

(60 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

If you are going to the trouble of putting the drive in a PC I would suggest the sensible thing to do is to look at the SMART data for the hard drive which will give you a good (but not infallible) idea of the health of the drive.

| Sun 27 Aug 2017 11:07:17 #51 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Martin Liddle - 19 minutes ago  » ...I would suggest the sensible thing to do is to look at the SMART data...

The interesting thing is that the disk I initially used to replace the failure was a brand new disk (the story is in another thread here, see below) which formatted OK on my PC and the SMART data showed no problems. Still it failed in the HDR and was returned for a refund. I got another which works perfectly so far. So yes, not infallible. I've had several experiences where PC disks showed massive SMART errors but the only indication of problems was very slow access to the files onboard, leading me to believe that Windows is a lot more tolerant of disk errors than your typical domestic media device.

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/hard-disk-upgrade-using-wd20eurs-2tb/page/9

| Sun 27 Aug 2017 11:37:18 #52 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Pollensa1946 - 47 minutes ago  » 
    I've had several experiences where PC disks showed massive SMART errors but the only indication of problems was very slow access to the files onboard, leading me to believe that Windows is a lot more tolerant of disk errors than your typical domestic media device.

I don't think it is to do with Windows. I believe that it is because of different design philosophies between PC drive firmware and AV drive firmware. PC drives will prioritise data integrity and will make multiple attempts to recover data from marginal sectors; AV drives will prioritise smooth playback and will make minimal attempts to recover data from marginal sectors.

| Sun 27 Aug 2017 12:31:06 #53 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

rwb

As well as viewing the SMART attributes, connecting it to a PC gives you the chance to run the manufacturer's diagnostics.

| Tue 29 Aug 2017 9:40:26 #54 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Pollensa1946 - 2 days ago  » 

Faust - 11 hours ago  » ... I would be removing the HDD from the box and formatting it using my PC.

You realise that after "formatting" it on a PC (for the OS that is resident on the PC) that the HDR will simply attempt to reformat it for the Linux system on the HDR.
    Again, I did this and it worked, but the disk in the HDR again failed after a few hours. Ergo, the disk is bad and should be replaced. However, by all means try it.

Of course I realise this. Reformatting it on a PC would/should clear any bad sectors. It may also provide an opportunity to test the HDD hardware.

I had a HDD fail (allegedly, according to the error messages) in my Linux based server last year - RAID 1 . I ended up buying a new HDD. I thought I would try the HDD in a caddy on my PC. Nearly 12 months later the drive is still functioning as an extra backup drive and runs as quiet as the grave.

It has to be worth a try.

| Tue 29 Aug 2017 16:33:11 #55 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Faust - 48 minutes ago  » ...I had a HDD fail (allegedly, according to the error messages) in my Linux based server last year - RAID 1 . I ended up buying a new HDD. I thought I would try the HDD in a caddy on my PC. Nearly 12 months later the drive is still functioning....

Exactly what I said in post #52 above. Disks which will not function in a media device often perform OK in a PC. However, I have not so far seen evidence that formatting it on a PC will enable it somehow to be formatted on the media device such that a previous failure is permanently made good.

| Tue 29 Aug 2017 17:27:10 #56 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Pollensa1946 - 17 hours ago  » 

Faust - 48 minutes ago  » ...I had a HDD fail (allegedly, according to the error messages) in my Linux based server last year - RAID 1 . I ended up buying a new HDD. I thought I would try the HDD in a caddy on my PC. Nearly 12 months later the drive is still functioning....

Exactly what I said in post #52 above. Disks which will not function in a media device often perform OK in a PC. However, I have not so far seen evidence that formatting it on a PC will enable it somehow to be formatted on the media device such that a previous failure is permanently made good.

It depends - if it is simply a case of a few bad sectors then a re-format and running chkdsk on a PC can remedy things. It's a bit of a lottery but it can often be worth a try.

| Wed 30 Aug 2017 10:51:03 #57 |
  8. Minilopmad

Minilopmad

Thank you for the advice on my issue, I purchased a new hard disc and it's working perfectly, very happy household getting their programs recorded again. I don't have the right cables to attach old one to my pc but I'm not worried about getting the recordings back so will probably leave it.

Thanks again.

| Wed 30 Aug 2017 15:42:42 #58 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

tonygamble

IMHO the YouTube does still not function properly. There may have been a problem with some ads - there is still a problem running the clips.

In frustration I have spent £30 on an Amazon Fire. It works 100% of the time.

YouTube hangs with the Loading overlay when the Fire runs the video with no problem.

It can't be my broadband as the Humax is fully wired to the internet router and the Amazon dongle links with WiFi.

I have done several tests. Try to run a YouTube clip on the Humax and it hangs Loading. Run on the Fire and it is OK.

OK the Humax is a great device in many other ways but it has not conquered YouTube - but catch up on BBC iPlayer is fine.

Tony
    London UK

| Mon 4 Sep 2017 20:04:38 #59 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

These streaming devices are the way to go, not rely on smart TV and PVR apps that don't get proper support.

My Panasonic TV is three years old and nearly all the app place holders are now empty. Panasonic are one of the worst offenders for not supporting the apps once your purchased the device.

| Fri 8 Sep 2017 22:53:02 #60 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.