My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Newbie needs storage help please

(16 posts)
  1. moose

moose

I bought the 1000s and want to store movies, music, photos etc on its HDD but i cannot view the device on my network.
    i tried to update to the custom firmware but when i hold the standby button it just boots as normal.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

| Mon 26 Nov 2012 7:42:55 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

I don't think there is any custom firmware for the 1000s. What are you trying to update exactly ?

| Mon 26 Nov 2012 8:00:48 #2 |
  3. moose

moose

Just been browsing other threads and think you may be right on the custom firmware.
    What i am trying to do is:

1) I have loads of movies on my laptop that i would like to store on my 1000s so i dont need to leave laptop running while i watch them (laptop has issues when left running)

2)I was hoping to use the 1000s to watch sky player as a friend does on his T2

Sky player is not important as i have my xbox but the file storage is quite a major reason for buying the Humax

| Mon 26 Nov 2012 8:44:46 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

I believe that the 1000s will work as a client at the moment, i.e. it will play files stored on a media server. So you'd need the laptop serving the files in that scenario.

I think you can copy files to it using a USB device as a transit which it can then play (subject to it understanding the source format).

Someone will be along shortly who will confirm this.

| Mon 26 Nov 2012 8:58:42 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The HDR is a DLNA client. Windows Media Player is a DLNA server.
    All your info is correct dino I just needed to add the type of server/client.

| Mon 26 Nov 2012 10:03:08 #5 |
  6. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

You would do better with a NAS which can store all your movies etc and access them from either laptop or HDR

| Mon 26 Nov 2012 19:45:03 #6 |
  7. moose

moose

Shame really, i bought the 1000s to host the files as my mate T2 does.
    I get the NAS idea but i've just spent ££££'s on my AV setup and won't be spending anymore.
    Does anyone know if there are plans for a custom portal for the 1000s?

| Mon 26 Nov 2012 21:23:38 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

A PVR is not a NAS. There may be some overlap, but essentially they do different things.

Some PVRs do have network and file storage capability, either by design or hacked.

That said, from what I've read, you can store AV files on a 1000s and play them on the TV which is one of the things you want to do. So not a complete loss.

I've not seen anything that even hints at custom firmware for the 1000s, but there is the possibility of manufacturer enhancements.

Dino

| Tue 27 Nov 2012 8:23:35 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

dino - 2 hours ago  » 
    That said, from what I've read, you can store AV files on a 1000s and play them on the TV which is one of the things you want to do.

How would you play them on the TV?

| Tue 27 Nov 2012 11:24:01 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

Extracted from the review at theregister.co.uk

"Rather hidden away under the Humax label on the Home screen is the box’s section for playing multimedia from USB (or copies moved to HDD) and shared DLNA devices, plus web services such as Flickr and Picasa (and not much else). The video icon names XVID/AVI as the supported format but it handles a decent range of alternatives too, including WMV, TS, MP4, M4V and MKV, though HD video fared better from USB than over the network. For audio files, however, it is just MP3."

| Tue 27 Nov 2012 15:03:17 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.