My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Newbie requires help USB & Humax Aura 4K Ultra

(26 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JCC - 32 mins ago  » 
    Hi Mars,
    I don't have a smart phone and my PC came loaded ready for use. There are no instructions about 'installing apps' - I have never done so - we 'bought' a PVR with catch up and USB compatibility, not a 'learn as you' go education project for the more techie minded.
    John.

That is the future. Consumers demand more and more future proof devices that as new and clever apps are available. It's this that has got us through lockdown.

Many of the older Humax boxes have lost iplayer because they no longer can support the new and massively improved capability. Using apps is a lot more sensible. A new or update to maintain it can be auto delivered to millions.

My 74 year old wife (2 yrs younger than me.) Spoke to her sister in Hospital in Australia after major heart surgery using her smart phone.

She's the least tecchie person I know.

You must have seen the TV shows with the audience at home. Do you think they are all tecchies.

If you aren't even prepared to try and follow the help we try and post, afraid there is not much we can do. Your existing tV will not last forever. It;s replacement is near certain to be a smart one. and also likely to be android TV device.

You clearly must have broadband so use it for all the advantages it gives you.

| Mon 25 Jan 2021 10:49:07 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JCC

Dear Graham,
    I am more than prepared to follow any help posted, in fact eager to do so, if I knew how. I have asked Humax to provide instructions as to how to copy Humax FOX files to the Humax Aura hard drive (noting you think it may not be possible) and how to play files from USB. I will post the reply from Humax here for the benefit of others. I have not yet explored the 'add an app' to the Humax Aura box - until posting here there was no suggestion it was necessary and I am reluctant to over personalise the box if it is going back.
    All the best,
    JCC

| Mon 25 Jan 2021 11:04:02 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JCC - 13 mins ago  » 
    Dear Graham,
    I am more than prepared to follow any help posted, in fact eager to do so, if I knew how. I have asked Humax to provide instructions as to how to copy Humax FOX files to the Humax Aura hard drive (noting you think it may not be possible) and how to play files from USB. I will post the reply from Humax here for the benefit of others. I have not yet explored the 'add an app' to the Humax Aura box - until posting here there was no suggestion it was necessary and I am reluctant to over personalise the box if it is going back.
    All the best,
    JCC

You have not answered the key questions.

1 Have you signed up for a Google account using your e-mail address ?

Without this there is nothing we can do to help.

The account unlocks all the capability of the box.

| Mon 25 Jan 2021 11:19:32 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JCC

Hi Graham,
    I did try with the google account, but hit problems because my email address was already in use. Leave it for now; If Humax have not replied I'll have a mess around this evening after work, but not being able to copy the Humax FOX files to the Aura would be a pain. I am speculating we may have to purchase and add an external hardrive via the USB.
    JCC

| Mon 25 Jan 2021 11:32:06 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JCC - 3 mins ago  » 
    Hi Graham,
    I did try with the google account, but hit problems because my email address was already in use. Leave it for now; If Humax have not replied I'll have a mess around this evening after work, but not being able to copy the Humax FOX files to the Aura would be a pain. I am speculating we may have to purchase and add an external hardrive via the USB.
    JCC

That means you must have registered your e-mail at some time for some sort of Google Account,

Have you got a mobile phone, if so is it an android based device ?

Try and sign in and click on forgotten password. They should send an e-mail to reset your password. Make a note ina safe place of your new password.

| Mon 25 Jan 2021 11:38:22 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Or (ref the gmail account) that he tried to sign up for "joe.bloggs@gmail.com" but couldn't because someone had already got there first?

| Mon 25 Jan 2021 11:53:09 #16 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

larkim - 1 hour ago  » 
    Or (ref the gmail account) that he tried to sign up for "joe.bloggs@gmail.com" but couldn't because someone had already got there first?

You don't have to use a gmail account. You can use anyone. Just click the other e-mail option.

One would hope he used the e-mail he used to register here.

| Mon 25 Jan 2021 13:06:00 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

The default google signup page asks for "username @gmail.com" so I can see why that would be a stumbling block for someone not comfortable with apps etc. If that is the issue for the OP then he can click "use my current email address instead". s you say, straightforward enough but I was just posting it in case that was the issue.

| Mon 25 Jan 2021 13:46:22 #18 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

larkim - 24 mins ago  » 
    The default google signup page asks for "username @gmail.com" so I can see why that would be a stumbling block for someone not comfortable with apps etc. If that is the issue for the OP then he can click "use my current email address instead". s you say, straightforward enough but I was just posting it in case that was the issue.

I have both. Handy to have an alternative e-mail for password recovery etc or banking meesages. As they are both free nothing to stop OP adding a new gmail address if he has not already got one.

| Mon 25 Jan 2021 14:13:18 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JCC

Evening,

Noted all comments - thank you – had an online ‘chat’ and email exchange today with Humax – copied all comments / questions and answers.

Confirmed Teletext is not available.

Confirmed we cannot copy from our Humax FOX2 to external drive (which we did).

Confirmed cannot copy files to the Aura.

Require app to play files on USB or external drive – as noted from this forum.

Attempted log in to google for apps – previous attempts failed because already logged in on another device – Aura did not advise this – we had to guess.

Logged out of the other – logged in - found VLC player – selected – nothing happened – left it a few – nothing happened no ‘okay’ or ‘completed’ or similar.

Just for a laugh repeated process a few times – nothing.

Just in case it had loaded but couldn’t tell us, after various option buttons not referred to in the manual managed to find the ‘dialogue’ box showing the external USB drive – showed the drive name, capacity and used space but couldn’t access the drive/folder or files – no option to do so. NB: USB was loaded with a variety of files to test - .mp4, .mp3, avi. mkv, MPEG/TS (as copied from Humax Fox.)

Upshot is does not do what is says on the tin - helpline don’t know how to operate it and I have wasted a load of time.

A crock winging it’s way back to whence it came.

Thanks for all your help, and we will await the version that works, meanwhile we will continue with the version that already does.

Cheers,

JCC

| Tue 26 Jan 2021 18:05:00 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.