My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Newbie requires help USB & Humax Aura 4K Ultra

(26 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JCC

HI,

New to the forum, and looking forward to your help. Please note I am not particularly technically minded…

We have just purchased a ‘Humax Aura 2TB 4K Ultra HD Smart Android Freeview Play TV Recorder’ to replace a ‘Humax HDR-FOX T2 500GB Freeview+ HD’.

We were / are very happy with the old unit, however the loss of iplayer combined with a fault on start-up (repeated cycles of on –off) led is to buy a new super dooper unit.

We wanted catch up TV, and the facility to copy from old Humax to new (via USB), as well as play .avi, .mp4, view images / play audio from USB

AND

copy from USB to the new hard drive.

Spent 24 hours copying those recordings we wanted to keep from the old unit, however we cannot access the USB on the new unit. If we go through assorted menus we find the USB is recognised, but no way of accessing / playing / copying the files.

There are other gripes / moans (the search facility is stupid and there is no ‘exit’ or ‘escape’ button’ from a function), but to date the copying / playing from USB of old FOX (none HD) files is the deal breaker.

How do we play from USB / copy from USB those files we copied of the old FOX device?

Looking forward to your answers.

Thanks,

JCC (John).

| Sun 24 Jan 2021 20:18:29 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JCC - 25 mins ago  » 
    HI,
    New to the forum, and looking forward to your help. Please note I am not particularly technically minded…
    We have just purchased a ‘Humax Aura 2TB 4K Ultra HD Smart Android Freeview Play TV Recorder’ to replace a ‘Humax HDR-FOX T2 500GB Freeview+ HD’.
    We were / are very happy with the old unit, however the loss of iplayer combined with a fault on start-up (repeated cycles of on –off) led is to buy a new super dooper unit.
    We wanted catch up TV, and the facility to copy from old Humax to new (via USB), as well as play .avi, .mp4, view images / play audio from USB
    AND
    copy from USB to the new hard drive.
    Spent 24 hours copying those recordings we wanted to keep from the old unit, however we cannot access the USB on the new unit. If we go through assorted menus we find the USB is recognised, but no way of accessing / playing / copying the files.
    There are other gripes / moans (the search facility is stupid and there is no ‘exit’ or ‘escape’ button’ from a function), but to date the copying / playing from USB of old FOX (none HD) files is the deal breaker.
    How do we play from USB / copy from USB those files we copied of the old FOX device?
    Looking forward to your answers.
    Thanks,
    JCC (John).

You need a media player app that can access a connected usb device. Try VLC player available from the Playstore.

| Sun 24 Jan 2021 20:45:11 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JCC

Hi Graham,
    Thanks for the reply - I am familiar with VLC player as a player on PC but nowhere in the Humax literature is a media player app explained/required, or how it might be installed.

Does this mean also I cannot copy over 'old' (non HD) files via USB to the new hard disk? If so the unit is going back as not as described!
    Cheers,
    John.

| Sun 24 Jan 2021 21:12:30 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JCC - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi Graham,
    Thanks for the reply - I am familiar with VLC player as a player on PC but nowhere in the Humax literature is a media player app explained/required, or how it might be installed.
    Does this mean also I cannot copy over 'old' (non HD) files via USB to the new hard disk? If so the unit is going back as not as described!
    Cheers,

John.

To add new apps open the built in playstore app. Search for VLC and click install. The apps list on the box will then have VLC.

There is an option get more apps but I can't remember if VLC was one of them or one I added afterwards.

You can't upload content afaik to the built in hard drive. There are ways to stream these files from a PC direct to the box without having to use USB at all.

I take it you setup a google account when you set the box up if you have not got one already.

If not

https://accounts.google.com/signup/v2/webcreateaccount?hl=en&flowName=GlifWebSignIn&flowEntry=SignUp

From the ad

From live TV, on-demand and your favourite apps, Aura brings together all the entertainment you love in one place.

Simply log in with your Google Account for quick and easy integration with your smart home system, access to saved preferences, recommendations and more.

Talk to Google using your smart voice remote to search for movies and shows, pause and rewind, and even start show recordings. That’s just the beginning. Find answers to your questions, control smart home devices and check your calendar – all with your voice.

Download all your favourite apps and games from Google Play. Including BT Sport, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+ and more.

| Sun 24 Jan 2021 23:16:45 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JCC

Thank you again Graham.
    I will contact Humax today and if files cannot be played from USB without mucking about, nor copied to the hard drive it is going back.
    Thanks
    John.

| Mon 25 Jan 2021 10:03:06 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

"Additional Connectivity
    Watch videos, play music or view photos on the big screen.

USB 3.0 Playback*
    Plug and Play any FAT 32 formatted USB or Hard Drive to access your own media content."

| Mon 25 Jan 2021 10:20:56 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JCC

Thanks SS,
    This is why we bought this unit - I will be contacting Humax today. The blurb on the Humax website is clear:

"USB (3.0 & 2.0)
    Connect a USB memory stick or External Hard Drive to view your
    favorite files at home. (Subject to compatibility.)"

| Mon 25 Jan 2021 10:39:32 #7 |
  8. Mars

Mars

special member

JCC - 19 mins ago  » 
    Thanks SS,
    This is why we bought this unit - I will be contacting Humax today. The blurb on the Humax website is clear:
    "USB (3.0 & 2.0)
    Connect a USB memory stick or External Hard Drive to view your
    favorite files at home. (Subject to compatibility.)"

The Humax Direct website is clear:"NAS & USB Connectivity
    Plug ‘n’ Play FAT 32 formatted USB/Hard Drives, or connect to your home media server*. *Media player apps may be required."
    If installing an app counts as mucking about then why did you buy an Android box for which thousands of apps are available. Did you return your computer because you had install programs or return your smart phone because you had install apps?

| Mon 25 Jan 2021 11:02:46 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JCC

Hi Mars,
    I don't have a smart phone and my PC came loaded ready for use. There are no instructions about 'installing apps' - I have never done so - we 'bought' a PVR with catch up and USB compatibility, not a 'learn as you' go education project for the more techie minded.
    John.

| Mon 25 Jan 2021 11:07:45 #9 |
  10. Mars

Mars

special member

Education project?! It is your chance to join the 21st Century!

| Mon 25 Jan 2021 11:16:20 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.