My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Newbie requires help USB & Humax Aura 4K Ultra

(26 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JCC - 11 mins ago  » 
    Evening,
    Noted all comments - thank you – had an online ‘chat’ and email exchange today with Humax – copied all comments / questions and answers.
    Confirmed Teletext is not available.
    Confirmed we cannot copy from our Humax FOX2 to external drive (which we did).
    Confirmed cannot copy files to the Aura.
    Require app to play files on USB or external drive – as noted from this forum.
    Attempted log in to google for apps – previous attempts failed because already logged in on another device – Aura did not advise this – we had to guess.
    Logged out of the other – logged in - found VLC player – selected – nothing happened – left it a few – nothing happened no ‘okay’ or ‘completed’ or similar.
    Just for a laugh repeated process a few times – nothing.
    Just in case it had loaded but couldn’t tell us, after various option buttons not referred to in the manual managed to find the ‘dialogue’ box showing the external USB drive – showed the drive name, capacity and used space but couldn’t access the drive/folder or files – no option to do so. NB: USB was loaded with a variety of files to test - .mp4, .mp3, avi. mkv, MPEG/TS (as copied from Humax Fox.)
    Upshot is does not do what is says on the tin - helpline don’t know how to operate it and I have wasted a load of time.
    A crock winging it’s way back to whence it came.
    Thanks for all your help, and we will await the version that works, meanwhile we will continue with the version that already does.
    Cheers,
    JCC

Not sure what that means. You should now have the latest software version.

Is your box connected to the internet ? You need it to be to get updates as well as on demand services.

TRy this - press the FVP buuton move right to the cog (settings) and press OK.

Move down to Network & Internet. Does it say you are connected ?

Under accounts does it have your account name - usually your e-mail address.

Go down to apps and press OK. Down to see all apps and press OK. Is VLC in the list ?

Prees the back button twice. Move up to Freeview play Preference. Press OK. Go down to System Information and press OK. What's the date shown alongside update Date ?

| Tue 26 Jan 2021 19:29:24 #21 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JCC

Is your box connected to the internet? YES.

TRy this - press the FVP buuton move right to the cog (settings) and press OK & Move down to Network & Internet. Does it say you are connected ? YES

Under accounts does it have your account name - usually your e-mail address. YES

Go down to apps and press OK. Down to see all apps and press OK. Is VLC in the list ? NO

Prees the back button twice. Move up to Freeview play Preference. Press OK. Go down to System Information and press OK. What's the date shown alongside update Date ? - Didn’t get that far – disconnected, packed up and ready to go back having wasted too much time on this device already.

Thanks for all your help, and for the tip re the media player – the Humax FOX2 we have does all this and more and until Humax come up with a better solution we are going to opt for a ‘smart’ TV for catch up inc iplayer, and continue with the FOX2 for easy recording / playback.

- I have faith in the Humax products however in this instance, in my view, they have an incomplete / unfinished product that is too complicated for the ‘general’ user, and will soon be usurped. I am neither a techie nor a luddite, but at this time this device is not user friendly even for one with a degree of, to quote an earlier poster to this thread some ‘21st century’.

| Tue 26 Jan 2021 20:04:59 #23 |
  4. Mars

Mars

special member

JCC - 1 hour ago  » 
    Is your box connected to the internet? YES.
    TRy this - press the FVP buuton move right to the cog (settings) and press OK & Move down to Network & Internet. Does it say you are connected ? YES
    Under accounts does it have your account name - usually your e-mail address. YES
    Go down to apps and press OK. Down to see all apps and press OK. Is VLC in the list ? NO
    Prees the back button twice. Move up to Freeview play Preference. Press OK. Go down to System Information and press OK. What's the date shown alongside update Date ? - Didn’t get that far – disconnected, packed up and ready to go back having wasted too much time on this device already.
    Thanks for all your help, and for the tip re the media player – the Humax FOX2 we have does all this and more and until Humax come up with a better solution we are going to opt for a ‘smart’ TV for catch up inc iplayer, and continue with the FOX2 for easy recording / playback.
    - I have faith in the Humax products however in this instance, in my view, they have an incomplete / unfinished product that is too complicated for the ‘general’ user, and will soon be usurped. I am neither a techie nor a luddite, but at this time this device is not user friendly even for one with a degree of, to quote an earlier poster to this thread some ‘21st century’.

More than 85% of adults have a smartphone (most of which use Android) in the UK so they probably would have no problem with an Android PVR box.

| Tue 26 Jan 2021 21:36:36 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Whilst the box is very usable for me, I do agree that it feels quite "first generation" in terms of Humax / Android TV being in bed together. The cutover from where the Freeview Play aspects stop and the Android TV box start are too obvious and not well integrated into one another.

It does though require you to take a different tack at looking at a PVR, and if you're already comfortable with the concept of apps / android then it does all make a lot of sense and work really well. Yes, some gremlins, and yes some of the nuances of encryption of recordings / compatability etc make it a little more complex than is ideal, but overall I think if anyone persists with it they'll find it is a great solution, and I'm sure it will get incrementally improved with some updates over the next 12 months or so.

| Wed 27 Jan 2021 12:44:23 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tigerfan11

Hi can l also ask, I have a new Aura & an ext hard drive ( playing fine now using VLC app) but I would like to copy some recordings I’ve made on the new Aura to the hard drive, do you know how I can do this please?

| Sun 10 Oct 2021 15:52:29 #26 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.