My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

No channels available on Freesat Mode

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

grumpydad

I’m having problems getting any stations through the Freesat mode.

First a little history:-
    Until earlier this month, everything was working fine with the HMX-HDR-1000S 500GB which we bought back in April 2015. We then started to experience some failed recordings. On subsequent investigation, I found that the picture on some channels was patchy (and on some recordings). Some diagnostics were attempted and, at one time, the signal strength was displaying GOOD and quality NORMAL on both channels but it would start flipping off and on again several times a minute! (it doesn’t do that now). I have tried a lot of things including several power offs (and removing the plug) and factory restarts and have been round the loop a few times (read that how you like!) seeing what the settings are saying.

So, I shall try and document what I have tried today:-
    Turned off, unplugged. Restarted and went to Non-Freesat mode|no channels are available|Pressed OK to search channels|OK|Channel Search|Transponder|All|Network. The Network Search was set to OFF, Scamble type & Channel Type both set to ALL. The search ended up with 99 channels (86 TV, 13 Radio). [I should mention here that later on I tried this with Network Search ON and got 199 channels (185 TV, 14 Radio). When I saved the channels it came up with a perfect picture on Channel 4+1 (which I had looked at earlier).
    So, I then went to Settings|Signal info and get “Freesat box connected with 1 cable” – even though TWO are connected and have been swapped over multiple time previously to no avail. |”Tuner1 No Signal, Tuner2 not connected”.

Tried STB Mode (non Freesat) and can get vertical polarised stations perfectly – eg: E4 5010 10729V Astra. I cannot receive any horizontal stations. Then switch to Freesat mode|No channels are available|Channel Search|”1 Cable connected“ (TWO are connected physically)|Postcode verified|Results of Search=Total 0 100% completed.

I have now connected a Satellite Finder to each port of the Humax and tried it on both cables going to the LNB at the dish and the meter is displaying a spiffingly good reading (and sound) on all combinations.

I have read quite on this forum where people have similar issues, but please can some kind person help me regain some of my lost sanity – please be gentle, this is my first posting (apologies for the length of this).

| Mon 19 Mar 2018 21:01:37 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

A search for all channels should have found around 967 channels.

http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php

Most likely your lnb has failed. It's the box on the end of the arm sticking out from the dish with the coax cables connected to it.

A lot now depends on how accessible your dish is. If you can easily get at it and it's a Sky type dish (wider than the height) you can replace it for very little cost.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SATELLITE-QUAD-LNB-4-WAY-ZONE-2-WITH-OLD-BRACKET-ADAPTER-FOR-SKY-ASTRA/162909625488?hash=item25ee2b9c90:g:QdYAAOSwdzVXwFJR

| Mon 19 Mar 2018 22:12:21 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

grumpydad

Hi

Thanks for coming back promply - much appreciated. I did suspect the LNB, to be honest. It happened after the recent very cold weather. It was installed by Sky back in Dec09/Jan10.

I wondered if I should disconect the two cables and train a hair dryer on it (with caution) and check the connectors? There is a black sleeve type cover at that point which is difficult to remove as it really needs one hand to squeeze it and the other hand to hold on to the main part of the LNB.

An Ebay seller had confirmed that this LNB is compatible https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MK4-SKY-QUAD-LNB-BRAND-NEW-IN-BOX-LATEST-VERSION-ON-THE-MARKET-SKY-HD-FREESAT/321036529278?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Do you think I should just go for a new LNB and forget about the hair dryer idea?

| Mon 19 Mar 2018 22:27:50 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

grumpydad

Btw, I had attached the signal meter at the Humax end, not at the dish end - I reasoned that it wouldn't make any difference to the readings......

| Mon 19 Mar 2018 22:29:45 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Could be water corrosion where the cable enters the LNB. A sure sign of this is the copper which protrudes from the cable will be black and a wet dust evident. If so you may need to run a new cable as water can have entered the cable. If simply replacing the LNB then get some silicone grease from a plumbers merchant and inject this into the LNB/cable connections before tightening them up. This will prevent future water ingress.

| Tue 20 Mar 2018 8:10:10 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

grumpydad

Thanks for the replies - I have ordered a new LNB, so (hopefully) I should be able install the new one soon. I'll update the forum when I've done this.

| Thu 22 Mar 2018 0:04:24 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

grumpydad

Update: Big delay due to 'flu. So, I survived that and also managed to avoid falling off the ladder. Eventually got the old lnb off and after a lot of messing about I managed to install a brand new lnb and line it up correctly (ie the correct skew).

All now working perfect - 198 channels (horizonal and vertical stations).

Many thanks to you all for you contributions.

| Sun 8 Apr 2018 21:14:41 #7 |
  8. Trev

Trev

special member

Result!!!

| Mon 9 Apr 2018 8:58:26 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.