My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

No sound Humax HDR-1800T

(34 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Yep and I expect to see this thread title started again and again until nobody remembers the 2000/1800T any more

The 2000T certainly isnt the product it should have been and I hope all the owners of the newer 4000T are not having this problem.

Ok the box records and functions well when its going but who would really be happy with anything if it often needed firing up twice to recognise the sound or hard drive functions.The sound problem is a biggy but clearly there is no update fix.

I stuck with it after a lot of noise modding but it should have gone back. Theres a story of why I couldnt face that shop again and I was very confused as it was a PVR purchase after a long time sticking with an outdated one. I may look at Humax again but only after I have seen what other manufacturers have on the market

| Mon 21 Aug 2017 1:33:52 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

jacklx

I've only just joined this forum to see if anyone else is experiencing intermittent loss of sound with an 1800-T. So it's not unusual. Ours was bought May 2017. First time this happened I switched back to standby, switched off at mains and then back again and we had sound back again. The next time I did the same, it brought back sound, but when I went for 'Media' nothing happened. I tried pausing the programme being broadcast only to see a sign in the top right corner of screen implying this was unavailable. From this I inferred the disc was not spinning up, this seemed to be confirmed as the box was switching up immediately, none of the usual delay. I retrieved an old 9200T from the loft but didn't install it until the next day in order for it to get to room temperature. Having moved the 1800-T out of the way the 9200T worked OK. I then emailed and phoned John Lewis from where we had bought it. This, I was told, is probably due to a static build up in the remote control. I had to believe this and having followed the suggested procedure to discharge static I now needed to re-connect the 1800-T. I was not over confident that it would work so I put it on a coffee table next to the TV, switched on, and the thing worked. I phoned and emailed J Lewis to let them know and then re-installed everything to as it was, and of course then the thing didn't work. I spent many hours trying different configurations but the fault remained hard on until I had the bright idea to switch the thing on with the power button on the front of the box instead of the remote. IT WORKED! I switched back to standby, and back on using the remote and it still worked and continues still to do. I have come to the conclusion that this thing is prone to intermittent failure which might be exacerbated by physically moving the box and/or removing mains power. I now avoid touching it and dread being subjected to a mains failure. Although the 2 year warranty is with J Lewis they encouraged me to contact Humax. Humax seem to be less user-friendly than they were. I filled in the 'contact us' page on Feb 10th, received an email from a 'no reply' address telling me that someone would contact me within 24/48 hours. Sadly no contact has been made. I suspect Humax may at some time expect me to return it for repair, perhaps I have developed a certain amount of cynicism over the years (80). Knowing that the problem is intermittent I suspect the thing might be labelled as such, put on a shelf for return to me, NFF, after a suitable delay.

| Wed 21 Feb 2018 9:21:04 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

jacklx - 20 minutes ago  » ... I then emailed and phoned John Lewis from where we had bought it. ... I phoned and emailed J Lewis to let them know and then re-installed everything to as it was, and of course then the thing didn't work. ... Although the 2 year warranty is with J Lewis they encouraged me to contact Humax. ... Knowing that the problem is intermittent I suspect the thing might be labelled as such, put on a shelf for return to me, NFF, after a suitable delay.

You need to be careful about a Humax repair as it could void your 2 year warranty with J Lewis.
    Humax tend to swap out boxes rather than repair. If you had a box swap without the go ahead from J Lewis you would no longer have the original box and J Lewis would not need to honour the warranty for what would then be a different box.

| Wed 21 Feb 2018 9:50:14 #13 |
  4. Barry

Barry

senior admin

With thanks to member NorthPole who spotted on his HDR 2000T...

There appears to be a new software version to fix HDMI sound issues:

https://uk.humaxdigital.com/support/?category_id=12&product_id=1185&curr_page=sw_release

Release note:

HDMI No Sound Issue is fixed.

| Wed 21 Feb 2018 13:31:48 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

bill63

special member

Just to let everyone know, I have just contacted Humax and they told me that hopefully there will be an over the air update for all 1800T and 2000T starting next week. This they hope will cure all HDMI problems.

| Wed 21 Feb 2018 14:40:16 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Barry - 5 hours ago  » 
    HDMI No Sound Issue is fixed.

Barry do you have any idea what persuaded Humax to do something about this problem now, when it has been around on the HDR-2000T (for some people) forever?

| Wed 21 Feb 2018 18:43:10 #16 |
  7. Barry

Barry

senior admin

No idea Martin. I had no previous knowledge that this was even planned.

Never witnessed the issue on either 1800 or 2000T connected to Sony TV,

| Wed 21 Feb 2018 19:12:58 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Barry - 5 hours ago  » 
    I had no previous knowledge that this was even planned.

We see it intermittently with an HDR-2000T connected to a Samsung TV and the usual trigger is turning the TV on whilst the Humax is recording.

| Thu 22 Feb 2018 0:39:04 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

jacklx

Thanks to all who have commented. Regarding the loss of sound I'd consider the piece by Barry seems quite likely especially as we have a Samsung TV, but of course Humax haven't helped by failing to provide an indicator on the box to let people know if the thing is recording and all too frequently recordings of repeats take place unnecessarily. Also Bill63's input regarding the forthcoming update is useful.
    I've at last had a response from Humax thanks to them being prompted by J Lewis. I'm not too impressed. They tell me that 99% of all problems can be rectified by carrying out a factory reset followed by a retune. Those of you who have read my initial post might agree that it seemed that there is/was a problem with the disc in that any function I attempted such as pause live broadcast and opening the recorded media folder failed, each of these functions rely on a 'working' disc. In view of this I will make further contact with Humax to remind them of what I consider to be an indication of disc failure, also delay any action until the latest update has been installed.
    I should also like to thank Luke for his advice regarding warranty.

| Thu 22 Feb 2018 8:52:14 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

jacklx

Thought I should provide an update. Problem still exists intermittently but have been able to 'work around' by switching on with the button on the box instead of R-C.
    Have had much communication with Humax. Recently it was pointed out that I need a software update. I've downloaded hdr1800t_upgrade.hdf copied it to two different FAT32 USB sticks but following procedure of tapping the Channel Down arrow when switching on does nothing apart from cycling down through channels. I have checked out the USB connector by loading a few photos on one of the sticks, these are displayed as one would expect.
    I'm not sure whether or not there was an OTA update recently, if so it didn't come to me as my software revision is dated August 2017.

| Sun 8 Apr 2018 8:29:52 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.