My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Noisy HDD on Humax FVP 5000T

(60 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Marius

REPASSAC - 2 hours ago  » 
    I think the reason for some noisy drives is much more likely to be down to mishandling in shipment of individual units.

Are you talking about shipment of the drives themselves or shipment of the Humax PVRs?

If you mean the actual drives that's an interesting point as I can see no other reason why there should be such extreme differences between individual drives.

I returned my first 500GB 5000T because the drive was so alarmingly noisy that it seemed about to fail, yet its replacement is whisper-quiet.

And the Humax units are so securely packed in moulded styrofoam that I can't see how they could be mishandled in transit without the damage being obvious from the state of the box.

So perhaps something happens to the noisy drives before they even reach Humax - unless the drive factory just lacks all quality-control, but that seems unlikely because they wouldn't last long if that were the case.

On the other hand, you'd think the drives would be bulk-shipped tightly packed on industrial pallets and not rattling around loose in the back of a van.

It's a mystery, for sure.

| Thu 1 Mar 2018 19:23:03 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

AJ

I’m just pleased it’s not just me and that I’m not going mad or being overly sensitive,

Not bothered to exchange mine but to be honest this box would make me think very hard about buying Humax again. Had to replace batteries in the remote last week to get it to work, not even had it three months and hardly a high user.

Does that suggest older components used for one shipment?

| Thu 1 Mar 2018 21:10:55 #22 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I was referring to the constructed PVR's which go through possibly multiple shipment stages.

| Thu 1 Mar 2018 21:32:04 #23 |
  4. andysue

andysue

GCDBONES123 - 6 hours ago  » 

andysue - 1 hour ago  » 

GCDBONES123 - 13 minutes ago  » 
    Yes both 500GB. Did ask if the 1TB were better but Richer Sounds adamant it would make no difference, though they were also adamant the noise issue was due to a duff machine as opposed to design flaw.

Hmmm, I like Richer sounds but all the people who said theirs are not noisy appear to have 1tb or more?
    Have a look at my thread https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/4000t-changed-into-5000t
    Save yourself some money too, I havnt heard this hard drive at all.
    £117 from Humax, free delivery & a years guarantee.
    https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/fvp-4000t-500gb-mocha-1.html?fee=1&fep=1005&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3OnsnbzL2QIVYrftCh0JnQQUEAQYASABEgLm3vD_BwE

Thanks, will have a look but reading review earlier from someone with 1tb who was saying it was very noisy. Have dropped email to Humax, if they dont come back with something tangeable will have to return. Love the 5000 but just cant live with that noise.

I emailed them just after Christmas. I am still waiting for a reply! so I wouldnt hold my breath.
    I think they are just using a cheap hard drive or a batch of faulty ones & we have been conned as the 4000 appears to be exactly the same as the 5000 except for the casing which is a terrible design from the 4000. As I said before I now have a couple of leds I can see on the front instead of having to stand on my head to see them!
    I played back a recording tonight & put my ear to the machine & couldnt hear it at all. Bliss.

| Fri 2 Mar 2018 0:44:21 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Hi

Yes there is definately an issue with batches of noisy hard drives and the problem is made worse by the ultra thin casing and no damping construction of my 2000. It wouldnt surprise me if this had carried on to the 4000 and 5000 because I will say that Humax were barely interested when I reported my problem. These hard drives will be built for cheap per unit cost and I dont think they are nearly as good as they should be.

Yes they work but when you can hear the thing chuntering and clicking from another room something is seriously wrong

So we are not going mad and this problem niggles when others(including Humax) say ours is fine thanks. Ive a feeling that some others have noisy units but think its fine because they accept any old noise in their front rooms like its normal or something...dogs probably barking and kids are screaming so they dont consider hard drive noise to be noise that bothers them.

I could hear mine from the kitchen and I spent time and money fixing the problem myself effectively doing what Humax should have done.

Do I sound annoyed because I was. I live with this unit calmly now but Ive never been fully happy with it.

My advice to anybody with this problem is take it back, try and get a proper response from Humax or buy from another manufacturer

| Fri 2 Mar 2018 6:49:18 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

GCDBONES123

Ive been back in touch with Richer sounds and intend to return machine. (No reply from Humax) Sound was so loud on last nights tv it was unbearable, then again in the night with scheduled recordings, ended up switching off at mains and giving up.

I have made a recording to play them to prove its not my imagination. Have to say on both machines it would not let me format the HDD but kept saying unknown error whenever I tried to format. Maybe not connected but do wonder if there's a faulty batch of HDDs gone into some machines?

| Fri 2 Mar 2018 17:54:28 #26 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

GCDBONES123 - 21 minutes ago  » 
    Ive been back in touch with Richer sounds and intend to return machine. (No reply from Humax) Sound was so loud on last nights tv it was unbearable, then again in the night with scheduled recordings, ended up switching off at mains and giving up.
    I have made a recording to play them to prove its not my imagination. Have to say on both machines it would not let me format the HDD but kept saying unknown error whenever I tried to format. Maybe not connected but do wonder if there's a faulty batch of HDDs gone into some machines?

I think Humax use Seagate pipeline drives on all models (subject to market shortages, as their was several years ago) - Hard to imaging a bad batch.

| Fri 2 Mar 2018 18:18:18 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

GCDBONES123

REPASSAC - 5 minutes ago  » 

I think Humax use Seagate pipeline drives on all models (subject to market shortages, as their was several years ago) - Hard to imaging a bad batch.

Your probably right. I just like to try and work out what could be causing the issue, especially as people seem to have different noise levels from same machine. Real shame.

| Fri 2 Mar 2018 18:25:12 #28 |
  9. andysue

andysue

GCDBONES123 - 5 hours ago  » 

REPASSAC - 5 minutes ago  » 

Your probably right. I just like to try and work out what could be causing the issue, especially as people seem to have different noise levels from same machine. Real shame.

This isnt our problem it is Humaxes problem. They should sort it out. If lots of people send them back then they will know there is something wrong. Or is it that they couldnt give a monkeys?

| Sat 3 Mar 2018 0:15:05 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

I got a hard drive screwed to a cheap plastic shelf with no damping. The casing was also amplifying the noise due to its thinness and the way the lid was resting unevenly on highpoints in the casing with mimimal screws. It acted as a membrane or echo chamber resonating the sharpish noise outwards into the room

The drive wasnt particularly quiet but it all went much quieter with the lid off proving my resonance theory.

The mk1 version of the 2000 had some drive shielding and some damping. That version had a fan and I dont mind a bit of fan noise compared with the clicking and chuntering I was getting.

My version had everything stripped to the bare bones with no shielding or damping of the mounts.

I reduced the noise by half to two thirds with my own damping shielding and sound proofing. Its now fully acceptable as a quietish unit

One of my main beefs was I got no feedback or pointers as to what might be the issue or if its within what they call normal operating spec. How did I know the next one wouldnt be noisy. I was also confused at the time and hated the warehouse shop who had already tried to rip me off with a tatty unit bunged in a box. A chain of events led me to investigate the insides myself and keep hold of the unit

I cant recommend that though and its only because I am reasonably competent with electronics and prepared to void my warranty to satisfy my curiosity

I follow noise issues with interest and I do that because I dont think Humax care much about the 2000 and I want to know if their later models have been designed better.

Best wishes to everyone on the forum

| Sun 4 Mar 2018 9:50:50 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.