My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Not recording / No hard drive HDR-1000S/500GB

(75 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

AndyT

Guys, I've just repaired a couple of Humax boxes with various issues. Problem was failed capacitors on the power supply board.
    Easy to check, take the top off the box and look for staining, bulging etc.
    Cheap fix if it is down to the capacitors.

| Fri 14 Oct 2016 22:34:26 #11 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The power supply on these models is an external sealed brick.

| Sat 15 Oct 2016 7:30:38 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

AndyT

There will still be capacitors on the circuit board.
    It's worth a few mins to check for bulging or brown stains, before you buy a new box etc. Some are only a few pence.

| Sat 15 Oct 2016 19:17:22 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ouija1979

Ok, so I unpaired the app and left the boxes for days with no internet connection, looks like they are working perfectly again. Very strange... I feel this is a software issue.

| Tue 18 Oct 2016 22:09:21 #14 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

I'll use this thread to update as it is the latest one:

See this link, last para, a resolution has been found:

http://www.freesat.co.uk/help/got-freesat/fix-a-problem/box-problems

Further info that I can divulge.

1. It is a hardware issue affecting a small number of units.
    2. Units within warranty period will be repaired at cost.
    3. Units outside of warranty a small charge will be levied. I believe units will have to be returned at customers cost, Humax call centre will need to be contacted for further info.
    4. Hard drives may have to reformatted during the repair, but it will be avoided if at all possible.

| Wed 19 Oct 2016 7:59:45 #15 |
  6. andyfras

andyfras

Barry - 53 minutes ago
    2. Units within warranty period will be repaired at cost.

Surely this should be free?

| Wed 19 Oct 2016 8:55:19 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

fedman1

special member

Yes Barry, when did 'In warranty' repairs become chargeable at cost?

Since the source of the problem has been found to be hardware, can we expect to be told which component(s) are responsible. So that competent engineers will be able to perform a repair.

| Wed 19 Oct 2016 14:25:43 #17 |
  8. Barry

Barry

senior admin

In warranty customers have the option of a swap out as has always been the case.

As for which component(s) whilst I am aware, it is up to Humax to release that info publically if they so desire.

I'm making no further comment on this one except to say that a very small number of customers are affected out of the 1000's of units sold.

| Wed 19 Oct 2016 14:52:39 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

hughmclaughlin

Here is the Humax solution to the Loss of hard drive and recordings problem with my Humax HDR 1010s box. Granted, since I reported the hard drive not recognised in May 2016, my box has developed other problems(such as freezing, intermittently not starting up and maybe now permanently not starting up).

The Humax Customer Support response to my request for a repair under the reported resolution [url=http://www.freesat.co.uk/help/got-freesat/fix-a-problem/box-problems] is as follows:

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with your recorder not starting up or detecting the hard drive.
    The cost of an out of warranty exchange or repair on this model would range from £90-120 and come with a 6 month warranty.

Why would anyone in their right mind spend upwards of £120 for a repair with 6 months warranty!

| Tue 25 Oct 2016 11:19:07 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Especially since Humax Direct were advertising a refurbished 1010 (now out of stock) for £139 with 1 year guarantee. Now the 1100 at £149, again with 1 year. From personal experience their refurbished boxes are like brand new.
    Their response is not unexpected. I posted some time ago that I would be greatly surprised if out of warranty repair for this problem were free. Standard response.

| Tue 25 Oct 2016 13:05:05 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.