Not recording / No hard drive HDR-1000S/500GB

(75 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

wibbly74 - 6 minutes ago  » 

Reffub - 1 hour ago  » 

wibbly74 - 23 hours ago  » 
    would you believe it the replacement box i got on the 16th December has now died again with the hard drive. Very very poor. Awaiting email back from Humax again - i have asked for my money back and i think i will invest in a old FOXSAT HDR had one of those for 3 years and never failed me

So what happened to your old Foxsat HDR or did it fail after you'd had it 3 years, had mine from 2008 with a 1Tb WD AV drive in it and it's still working fine.

Nothing i decided to sell it on ebay and buy what i thought was a better model and both myself and my wife wanted the on-demand stuff mainly netflix all in one box. Seriously thinking of going back to the FOXSAT of ebay and buying a firestick or something like that for on-demand stuff after all the problems. I have emailing Humax now for 5 days with no reply.

Chromecast is brilliant especially if you have an Android phone, though other makes work too.

| Sat 28 Jan 2017 15:37:55 #51 |
  2. Singapore Joe

Singapore Joe

My 1000S lasted about a week after I got it back from repair since my last post, just refused to play recordings no matter what I did.
    Got back onto Humax and they replaced it with the 1100S model it looked new but I suspect it was a refurb.
    It came in a plane box and I was told to keep my existing remote and PSU.
    This was the week before Christmas and so far so good.
    I also had the Foxsat HDR and sold it on ebay as I wanted to upgrade to Freetime and the various players etc.

| Sat 28 Jan 2017 16:53:37 #52 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

GBUK7

Just found this post sorry, i have just posted a new one[ Disappointed ]Same problems as you. And box only 32 Months old! Not good enough Humax.

| Wed 22 Feb 2017 20:10:23 #53 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gangstatc

I'm on my second HDR-1000s 1TB. The original lasted about 16 months. Humax replaced under warranty. The second one 18 months. Both identical issue, not recognising the HDD. I am now getting an exchange from Humax, a HDR-1100s 500Gb (yes smaller drive) for £55 with 6 month warranty. Comes tomorrow so hopefully this will last longer than the previous two.

| Thu 18 May 2017 21:52:46 #54 |
  5. AndrewB

AndrewB

Hi, my 2.5 year old Humax HDR-1000S has just lost all it's recordings.
    It is a 1Tb drive and was 95% full.
    I have done a Reset twice and no change.
    Called Humax and they offered an 1100S exchange for £55.
    Wasn't told it would not be 1Tb drive so need to check.

My question is:
    I don't care so much about the dead Humax, I am much more upset about the 2 years and 1Tb of recordings I have lost.
    Does anyone know what options I have to try to recover these please?
    I know Humax last year used to repair the boxes and return them with all the original recordings but they seem to have abandoned this and found it cheaper to send out a new box and refurb and sell the dead ones. Repairs get sent to Poland.

I know I could spend 2 days reading all the forum threads to learn the options myself but I was hoping some experts could summarise them for me and save time.
    I would rather pay to get my recordings back than for another Humax box.
    I have access to an HDR-1010S box if there is a drive swap/connect option.
    There are refurb 1Tb Seagate st1000vm002 HDDs on ebay for £30, can these just be plugged into a Humax directly if I have to change the HDD?
    Thanks

| Tue 12 Sep 2017 13:52:17 #55 |
  6. AndrewB

AndrewB

Further to my post above about trying to save my 1Tb of recordings.
    What about if I try one of these:
    1. Take my HDD out, send dead box back, get new exchange 1100S for £55, swap the new box's HDD with my old drive. Send new HDD back to Humax.
    Probably encryption issues?
    or
    2. Ask Humax to take my old drive back and fit it into a new 1100S and I pay £55 and they send me the new box with my old drive matched to it.

| Tue 12 Sep 2017 15:58:42 #56 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The encryption uses a key unique to the box. The existing recordings will not play back on the replacement unit so 1 is a non starter. They may not even accept the old box minus it's hard disk.

As for 2 Humax would have to change the encryption key to that used by your old box,

I don't know if that's even possible, pretty sure even if it is they will charge more than £55.00.

| Tue 12 Sep 2017 17:21:36 #57 |
  8. AndrewB

AndrewB

Thanks for your answers Graham, I agree with both now that I have done some more research.
    I will phone Humax tomorrow re, option2.
    Is there any way to repair the old box if it's a component? Humax don't want to do it and it could be that it's more than just a popped resistor as it seems to happen often when people's drives are nearly full.
    Would exPVR be any use to move the files to the new Humax's HDD without an encryption issue?
    I am not looking to decrypt the files for nefarious purposes, just to allow them to be played on a new machine.
    Most of the recordings are HD.
    Thanks

| Tue 12 Sep 2017 22:16:20 #58 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

rwb

It could be the hard disk that is faulty - they do go wrong. Connect it to a computer to check the disk and partitions are visible.

| Tue 12 Sep 2017 23:26:43 #59 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

AndrewB - 2 hours ago  » 
    Is there any way to repair the old box if it's a component?

I think it could be done but you need to find someone with the necessary skills and knowledge to do the initial investigation and then if feasible publish a detailed set of instructions. This is exactly what happened with the problem on the 9200T which caused the clock to fail in standby and hence all recordings. Subsequent to the publication of repair instructions a very substantial number of boxes have been repaired.

Humax don't want to do it and it could be that it's more than just a popped resistor as it seems to happen often when people's drives are nearly full.

is there really any statistical evidence to support that claim that the problem is in any way linked to the amount of data stored on the drive?
    It seems very unlikely to me although age of the box is I suspect a factor.

| Wed 13 Sep 2017 0:45:06 #60 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.