My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Now for the good points

(24 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Brian9200T

Mamy people are disappointed that the FVP4000 is not as good or better for all points on earlier Humaxes. This clouds the picture and puts off buyers who moght otherwise find it suits their needs and wants. So you are invited to state a new feature that you are impressed with.

Ability to record up to 4 programs simultaneously.

| Thu 18 Aug 2016 16:44:54 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

esme

can also watch netflix & catch up tv

| Thu 18 Aug 2016 17:32:54 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Brian - you make a good point.

Having had Humax before (an 8000T, a 9200T, and HDR-FoxT2 which I really did not like and sent back) I was initially a little disappointed by the 4000T when I bought it last December and posted First impressions - glitches vs. pro's.

Since then I have really come to like it - and got used to some foibles!

The picture quality is excellent, the EPG is good, subtitles work and it is faultless on recording what I ask it to record (as long as the broadcaster doesn't mess up the timing signals).

This forum is very good at helping users and I believe that Humax reads the posts. I like the fact that Humax is engaged with users in sending out new releases of software (and now hardware) for them to test - it shows a great willingness on Humax's part to listen to users.

There are still some irritations that I don't like but I am trusting Humax to fix them in future software releases. I am certain that if I swapped to another vendor, I would just find a different set of irritations to complain about. What's that about "The grass is always greener ..."

Search for recordings is my one priority for a fix. My 2TB disk is 90% full and I keep on reminding Humax customer support that search needs improving. That being said, once I found the magic bullet of using the HOME button while a (SEARCHed for or other) recording is playing, followed by DOWN ARROW and LEFT ARROW to find RECENT, and selecting the recording - which brings up the Information for the recording and the channel on which it was recorded, I have a good workaround to almost all my search issues. It does help if you remember the channel on which a recording was made and browse for it by Channel, rather than browsing through the list of all recordings. The FAQ is useful too.

The "HDMI / CEC issue" of the box / TV not coming on seems to have been fixed.

I cannot recall the last time I could not get the box to come out of standby - it was previously a frequent occurrence for me.

Would I recommend it to others? Yes - unhesitatingly.

Could it be better? Yes - and I trust Huimax to release softare to fix the search, and hopefully other, minor irritations.

| Thu 18 Aug 2016 20:24:02 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Brian9200T

Johnh77: Glad it was of interest. I notice your statement that your disk is 90% full. Once a disk passes 50% full access tends to slow down because it is having to use smaller and smaller gaps between existing files. Of course this may not notice depending on other factors but if you do have or get problems from this cause you will need to do something about it like deleting some recordings or getting more disk space.

| Thu 18 Aug 2016 20:34:15 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Brian
    Thanks. I haven't noticed any problems so far with stutter which I would expect if that was the case. That being said, I record anything likely to be of interest and always watch recordings - never live TV.

I will look more carefully when I am recording 3 channels and playing back a recording which I guess is the most stress it gets.

| Thu 18 Aug 2016 20:38:33 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Brian9200T

JOhnh77: With luck it may not be a problem in this situation. I met it with PCs where if for instance you are copying a large file on then it becomes apparrent as the time to write the new file is increased if the new file has to be written in seperate chunks all over the disk instead of sequentially.

| Thu 18 Aug 2016 20:47:46 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

OFF TOPIC - I installed an SSD on my PC and it transformed the PC's performance - I can shutdown and restart W7 in 45 seconds.

As part of my testing for W10, I cloned the SSD to an older hard drive so as to have a copy of W7 before upgrading. When I tested the clone, it made the PC run like a dog because the files were horribly fragmented. It doesn't matter on the SSD, but on the hard drive it was terrible. I defragged the hard drive and it took ages to analyse the disk, and several hours to defrag it.

It was much better after defragging, but still nowhere near as good as the SSD.

| Thu 18 Aug 2016 21:20:58 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Brian9200T

JohnH77: You may already know this but the big differrence between an SSD and a DISK is that the disk head has to physically move between the the tracks whereas with an SSD you can jump between locations without delay.

| Thu 18 Aug 2016 21:29:30 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Brian9200T - 1 hour ago  » 
    JOhnh77: With luck it may not be a problem in this situation. I met it with PCs where if for instance you are copying a large file on then it becomes apparrent as the time to write the new file is increased if the new file has to be written in seperate chunks all over the disk instead of sequentially.

You are thinking of the old FAT based file systems such as FAT32. The Linux Ext3 file system used on the modern Humax boxes has a different design and fragmentation is nothing like as much as a problem.

| Thu 18 Aug 2016 22:36:51 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bitterman

special member

Dolby Digital Plus on Netflix if fantastic, slight picture stutter on certain Netflix scenes is a downer.
    Speed to access Netflix is excellent.
    Streaming to a tablet (or phone) is good. Lack of any apps on Amazon tablets is poor.
    Ability to transfer recordings to another device to watch has been handy, although spoilt by certain limitations.
    Very good Wi-fi performance.

| Fri 19 Aug 2016 12:41:48 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.