My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

ON demand TV outside UK

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

CaptCoz

Does any expat out there know if it is poddible to watch On demand TV I live in France and have an early Humax Fox Sat receiver which allows me to watch ITV hub but not BBC as it knows I'm not in the UK Before I part with my money for an upgrade I'd like to know what I can expect Thanks

| Fri 5 Jan 2018 15:35:15 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi welcome to our forum. Google Smartdns service or vpn service.

My Brother In Law used to live in Brittany, he used a smartdns service called hidemyass,

https://blog.hidemyass.com/free-public-proxy-servers-from-hide-my-ass/

Note recent changes to iplayer might make this no longer possible.

| Fri 5 Jan 2018 15:38:10 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

My son's experience in Germany is that the smartdns providers are continually having to change the UK domain they provide to the end-users because the BBC identify and block them. At the moment I think the iPlayer simply asks him to confirm he has a licence, but I'll be in Germany next week and get up to date with what is happening.

| Fri 5 Jan 2018 16:14:43 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pollensa1946 - 9 minutes ago  » 
    My son's experience in Germany is that the smartdns providers are continually having to change the UK domain they provide to the end-users because the BBC identify and block them. At the moment I think the iPlayer simply asks him to confirm he has a licence, but I'll be in Germany next week and get up to date with what is happening.

Would a VPN service like NordVpn do better ? NordVpn has a long list of UK servers.

| Fri 5 Jan 2018 16:26:06 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

grahamlthompson - 29 minutes ago  » 

Pollensa1946 - 9 minutes ago  » 

Would a VPN service like NordVpn do better ? NordVpn has a long list of UK servers.

Not sure what his current setup is. Will see next week as my wife will undoubtedly want to watch her favourite pgms.

| Fri 5 Jan 2018 16:57:03 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Here we are in eastern Germany enjoying all the UK OD players. Perfect picture and sound with no buffering. The solution in use is this...
    Rent a Cloud Server from a London provider.
    On that implement a VPN Server which connects to the UK Internet.
    At home a second router is used exclusively for OD services. All devices requiring OD are connected to that router. On that a VPN Client is implemented.
    VPN Client is hooked permanently to VPN Server, giving a static IP address.

This is a broad outline, I don't understand it in detail. One weakness is that the end-point OD provider can identify the connection as VPN. Netflix use this to block all VPN connections. If the BBC did that then it would not work.

| Thu 11 Jan 2018 11:11:28 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.