My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Picture breaking poor signal

(28 posts)
  1. Trev

Trev

special member

I wasn't thinking of Tx problems, just along the same lines as GLT. Close to the transmitter with a masthead/booster is a good way to overload a tuner. This seems not to apply in your case though.

| Tue 15 May 2018 19:05:09 #11 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Trev - 2 hours ago  » 
    I wasn't thinking of Tx problems, just along the same lines as GLT. Close to the transmitter with a masthead/booster is a good way to overload a tuner. This seems not to apply in your case though.

20 mls from a main power transmitter and a high gain aerial used to get reception pre the dso power increases is still a prime candidate for tuner front end overload. I can say that my 5000T gives stable reception with some mux indicating around 40% signal but 100% quality.

OP check the quality using the box on a problem channel. If the quality wildly fluctuates try reducing the signal level.

Alternatively fit a one in two out passive splitter before the Humax box using one output to feed the TV and the other to feed the TV. That will reduce the signal level by approx 4dB.

| Tue 15 May 2018 21:12:36 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Yellow Peril

OK the saga continues, received new Humax unit today, connected up and carried out auto retune. Result the same channels missing. Contacted Humax and they advised manual retune as before. Also as before channel59 and HD 56 showed no listed channels. Aerial plugged directly into the TV gave me all channels. Checked with UK Digital and she checked Tacolneston transmitter and found no problems. I then wondered about HDMI connection and bought a new decent quality lead, but no improvement. My TV is a Sony Bravia with two HDMI connections - what are the chances of connection problems? Could I have inadvertently changed settings along the line that have interfered with connections at any point? What could have happened within a couple of weeks for me to stop receiving channels that I've had in the past and why can't I find the missing ones. Apparently there's been no change in signal strength for some time. I have little enough hair left to start tearing in out - HELP

| Wed 16 May 2018 15:22:09 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Yellow Peril

I just checked and C59 which I can't manually load is the main one that contains many of the channels I can't get - why is that?

| Wed 16 May 2018 15:28:29 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Yellow Peril - 20 minutes ago  » 
    I just checked and C59 which I can't manually load is the main one that contains many of the channels I can't get - why is that?

Which transmitter please? It would also help if you could quote some signal strength and quality figures for a few of the channels you can receive?

| Wed 16 May 2018 15:49:45 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Yellow Peril

Tacolneston is the transmitter as to the signal strength where would I find that?

| Wed 16 May 2018 16:10:36 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Put your postcode into http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/ and tick Detailed view.

See https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Tacolneston for somewhere in central Norwich, and
    http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/trade/NR1+4DR/70/0/NA
    for channels for Talconeston.

You may be in luck because C59 will be going away in the 6 June retune :-))

Incidentally, I have a sneaking suspicion that, when they are preparing for a re-tune, they put the current transmissions onto their spare antenna, and test the new channels on the main antenna. It is not beyond the bounds of possibility that they reduce power as well.

In my case, my aerial is (naturally!) set up for the main antenna but it unfortunately sits in a null for some of the spare antenna frequencies. During the recent Mendip changeover I lost signal strength and quality on some multiplexes, and got lots of breakup, but all was magically OK a few days later without my having to do anything.

| Wed 16 May 2018 17:09:30 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

See http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/operations/planned_engineering_works for current service problems with Talconeston.

| Wed 16 May 2018 17:25:02 #18 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Yellow Peril - 1 hour ago  » 
    Tacolneston is the transmitter as to the signal strength where would I find that?

Tune to a channel on each Mux. FreeviewPlay-Settings-Channel Settings-Signal Test. Note unless the other tuners are recording you will only see tuner 1.

| Wed 16 May 2018 17:27:47 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Yellow Peril

Finally solved the problem, my aerial guy thinks it's the trees behind my house coming into full foliage, so I bought and fitted a signal booster which has done the job. Now have all my channels back in full working order.

| Fri 18 May 2018 22:36:35 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.