My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Picture breaking poor signal

(28 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Yellow Peril - 11 hours ago  » 
    Finally solved the problem, my aerial guy thinks it's the trees behind my house coming into full foliage, so I bought and fitted a signal booster which has done the job. Now have all my channels back in full working order.

You might still have issues in wet and windy conditions.

| Sat 19 May 2018 9:52:10 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Yellow Peril

Funny you should say that because I was getting some 'hanging' on Drama tonight.

| Sat 19 May 2018 21:23:50 #22 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I am in a similar position. My strongest transmitter is Sutton Coldfield roughly NE of my location. In that direction I have a wood with tall trees in that direction. During the winter months with no foliage on the trees I have no issues. Once the spring arrives and foliage arrives, in still conditions reception is fine. Once the foliage arrives and the wind blows I get total breakdown of reception. Some research reveals it's likely a variation of the familiar multipath ghosting associated with former analogue transmission.

Fortunately from the DTG reception predictor, I have an alternative transmitter.

It's a much lower power relay located in the opposite direction at Lark Stoke south of Stratford On Avon.

It lacks the extra COM 7 and COM 8 mux but otherwise has the full complement of channels.

I was able to replace a 20 ft mast with a huge high gain DAT75, with a log36 in my loft and now get some low power indicated mux, but more importantly quality remains at 100%.

Digital TV has built in error correction that can correct some errors in the data stream to provide a perfect picture.

The important quality indicates the amount of error correction required.

100% means the tuner has no issues determining which of the received bits is a zero or one (hence perfect reception).

If you have say 40% strength and 100% quality you will have the best quality reception possible from the channel you are watching.

The reverse means zero or frequent break up of the picture into a pixellated mess.

Amplification in this situation is unlikely to help unless the problem is down to unwanted rf interference picked up on the coax downlead.

Moving the amplification as near as possible to the aerial and using a high quality low noise masthead amp ( they can be remotely powered from the remote end of a coax downlead).

Other than that aerial source amplification should really only be used to support subsequent passive signal spitting to feed multiple tuners.

| Sat 19 May 2018 22:57:36 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Yellow Peril

We are to have quite a significant retune on 59 come June, so I shall wait to see what transpires. However I shall investigate other options. My aerial is not very old but also not very big, so I don't know how significant that is. The cable runs down the outside of the house was there when we moved in which was 20 years ago - is there such a thing as high gain coax and would that be a route to signal improvement? The booster I have was the highest gain that I could buy in town, but couldn't really find the answer to the question 'what is the most powerful signal booster available' online. I bought the 'One for all' at 23 dB which has brought massive improvements. The worst reception we suffered (currently) was some hanging which was annoying but bearable.

| Sun 20 May 2018 8:52:17 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

The retune event at Tacolneston on 6 June affects more than just what is now on 59. It is all three PSB Mux as well as COM 7, so quite a major change.

PSB1 moves from 55 to 40
    PSB2 moves from 59 to 43
    PSB3 moves from 50 to 46
    COM7 moves from 31 to 55

| Sun 20 May 2018 9:26:27 #25 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Yellow Peril - 1 hour ago  » 
    We are to have quite a significant retune on 59 come June, so I shall wait to see what transpires. However I shall investigate other options. My aerial is not very old but also not very big, so I don't know how significant that is. The cable runs down the outside of the house was there when we moved in which was 20 years ago - is there such a thing as high gain coax and would that be a route to signal improvement? The booster I have was the highest gain that I could buy in town, but couldn't really find the answer to the question 'what is the most powerful signal booster available' online. I bought the 'One for all' at 23 dB which has brought massive improvements. The worst reception we suffered (currently) was some hanging which was annoying but bearable.

No such thing as high gain coax, There are coax cables that have superior screening and have lower losses especially at the higher frequencies. Generally the best coax that isn't too thick is Webro WF100. It has a copper centre core and an extra gold foil screen under the copper braid screening,

http://www.webro.com/coaxial/tv-satellite/wf100-cable/

PF100 is similar and more widely available (Screwfix have it).

An amplifier should be mounted as close to the aerial as possible to avoid amplifying any noise picked up on the coax downlead and to give it the cleanest possible source.

I use this one in my loft

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/231233688237?chn=ps&adgroupid=59205563692&rlsatarget=pla-431669183951&abcId=1134046&adtype=pla&merchantid=7362964&poi=&googleloc=9041125&device=c&campaignid=1340834632&crdt=0

| Sun 20 May 2018 10:15:03 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Su

I had problem with ITV and BBC saying signal port, etc. Programmes I selected for recording failed. It was very frustrating and then my son sorted it within seconds. I was selecting wrong ones. There are several ITV, BBC, channels on the TV Guide. I selected, in error, those intended for other regions. Now I am selecting the correct ones it’s fine and all works perfectly. Hope this helps you.

| Sun 13 Oct 2019 21:44:57 #27 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Su - 11 hours ago  » 
    I had problem with ITV and BBC saying signal port, etc. Programmes I selected for recording failed. It was very frustrating and then my son sorted it within seconds. I was selecting wrong ones. There are several ITV, BBC, channels on the TV Guide. I selected, in error, those intended for other regions. Now I am selecting the correct ones it’s fine and all works perfectly. Hope this helps you.

That indicates you are receiving channels from more than one transmitter. This can create issues with recordings. The way to sort it out is identify the correct transmitter and the UHF channels it uses for it's MUX.

Then follow the manual tuning instructions

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/manual-tuning-instructions-1

| Mon 14 Oct 2019 9:24:58 #28 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.