My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Pixelating - free fix that worked for me

(3 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ZiggyUK

I have had my Aura box since May 2022 and love it, no real issues except the FF issue (but I have never used deep sleep as it takes too long too start).
    Recently though Some channels and most noticeably Sky news started pixelating which made me think the aerial had moved in the wind but on checking the signal test I was getting 100% signal but the quality was jumping up and down between 50-90%, main channels were 100/90%

It just so happened that I got a message from my council that anyone getting pixelization could be the result of 4/5g signal interference following the sale of signal bands to mobile operators and further expansion of bands being used. I thought I might give it a go as its free and 5g is slowly being opened up.

Generally they will send you a filter through the post but if you have a mast head amplifier (I did) they send a free engineer.

Anyhow the engineer tested my kit and said I was getting interference he fitted a free mast head filter which immediately cured the problem.
    He also offered a free attenuator as he said my signal was too strong which which I also accepted so ne fitted a second filter on the lead behind the Aura and a attenuator, again all free.
    The filter and attenuator he fitted behind the box were simple in-line units about 50mm long with a male socket one end and a female the other of each.

After the engineer left I noticed a bit of pixelization on the main channels that I did not experience before so I removed the second filter and attenuator just sticking with the mast head filter.

After a rescan (you must do this) everything was 100/100% signal & quality, I was pixelization free again!

I am very happy and after reading other people with problems suddenly starting, it could be the same, interference being picked up by your aerial.

Its a free service funded by the sale of the signal bands to mobile operators and the local engineer I had out was fantastic telling me not to let anyone replace my aerial as I had a perfect setup.

https://restoretv.uk/

| Wed 21 Dec 2022 10:02:05 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobspark

Intresting thanks for posting.My exchange box has been OK till recently then pixelation started on SD channels.Now it stopped? I notice the signal levels are lower than I remember and I have noted them so should pixalation return and levels are higher I can try my attenuation kit and see if that works?

| Thu 22 Dec 2022 17:39:08 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

ZiggyUK

They will send you a free filter through the post, they only sent an engineer to me as I have a mast head amplifier and the filter needs to go as close to the amplifier as possible (they might have said before it but I'm not sure now).

I actually forgot the mast head amplifier was not fitted outside but at the point the wire enters the loft so I did not really need an engineer after all.

Initially she was just going to post me an inline filter unit until I said I had a mast head amplifier so she said I needed an engineer to get up to the aerial with ladders.

The engineer fitted an attenuation to my system as he said my signal was very strong and could overwhelmed the tuner, he explained the attenuation reduces the signal strength but not the quality.
    In my case the attenuation appeared to make the situation worse so I removed it.

All this was a month ago and I have had a perfect picture on all channels ever since with just the 4/5g filter fitted in the loft.

EDIT: I have had the Aura since November 21 not sure why I put May 22

| Thu 22 Dec 2022 18:11:05 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.