My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Plex access to recordings

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

mrchiggles

Hi all - in response to an email, Humax confirmed that I can't use the app to cast recordings from the box to another chromecast but that I can use Plex!

Can anyone with the box confirm that Plex can access the recordings on the box? Seems unlikely to me..

| Thu 17 Dec 2020 14:20:43 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

mrchiggles - 51 secs ago  » 
    Hi all - in response to an email, Humax confirmed that I can't use the app to cast recordings from the box to another chromecast but that I can use Plex!
    Can anyone with the box confirm that Plex can access the recordings on the box? Seems unlikely to me..

I think they are confused. Plex on the aura can play back files I have on a USB drive with a plex server installed on my Windows 10 laptop, as can plex installed on a 4K firestick. Never tried it but sure I have read plex can stream to a chromecast.

Pretty sure plex on a aura is merely a client not a server.

| Thu 17 Dec 2020 14:28:17 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

mrchiggles

grahamlthompson - 5 mins ago  » 

I think they are confused. Plex on the aura can play back files I have on a USB drive with a plex server installed on my Windows 10 laptop, as can plex installed on a 4K firestick. Never tried it but sure I have read plex can stream to a chromecast.

That was my thinking - Plex does have some DVR control capabilities but I'm not sure how they would interact with the Aura....the whole thing is a shame given that it could be a great multiroom device if they worked out streaming to chromecasts

| Thu 17 Dec 2020 14:34:53 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

mrchiggles - 3 mins ago  » 

That was my thinking - Plex does have some DVR control capabilities but I'm not sure how they would interact with the Aura....the whole thing is a shame given that it could be a great multiroom device if they worked out streaming to chromecasts

If you are happy with SD you could export the recordings to a PC and mount them on Plex on the PC. You can then view them on other kit.

I do have a non Humax android TV unit that can do what you want as can boxes based on Enigma 2 software.

If you wish I can PM you more details. It's more complex to setup in the first place but it works really well. You can also view recordings externally via the internet.

| Thu 17 Dec 2020 14:40:30 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

mrchiggles

grahamlthompson - 7 mins ago  » 

If you are happy with SD you could export the recordings to a PC and mount them on Plex on the PC. You can then view them on other kit.
    I do have a non Humax android TV unit that can do what you want as can boxes based on Enigma 2 software.
    If you wish I can PM you more details. It's more complex to setup in the first place but it works really well. You can also view recordings externally via the internet.

It's for Mrs H to watch her aussie soaps in the kitchen so needs to be quick and easy which this doesn't sound like...I'm about to get a "kitchen iPad" so probably easier for her to stream on that!

| Thu 17 Dec 2020 14:48:51 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

mrchiggles - 4 mins ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 7 mins ago  » 

It's for Mrs H to watch her aussie soaps in the kitchen so needs to be quick and easy which this doesn't sound like...I'm about to get a "kitchen iPad" so probably easier for her to stream on that!

I had that one cracked already before I got the Aura. I have a Denon AVR with 3 zone output.

Zone 1 connects to OLED in lounge. Zone 2 connects to a smallish wall mounted Full-HD TV in the kitchen via a externally run cat 7 flat cable. A pair of HD baluns connects the two devices. In addition to the Aura also connected to the AVR is a HDR-1000S, a FVP-5000T and the other box I referred to. It also has ir return.

So by switching the aura to zone 2 out it's live TV and recordings can be viewed in HD in the Kitchen while any other unit can be viewed on the main lounge OLED.

Other than the balun no need for a tablet.

Only limitation is kitchen TV is not 4K so that has to viewed on the main TV.

| Thu 17 Dec 2020 15:03:24 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Plex and Plex Server are two different things.
    The Server version will only work on a device such as a pc/laptop or higher spec server unit. They all need decent ram and processor to carry out the on the fly transcoding.
    So Plex Server absolutely won't work on the Aura. Normal Plex is just a "media centre" type of app usually for viewing files stored elsewhere.

| Thu 17 Dec 2020 19:20:05 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Just been experimenting.
    I used to run Plex Server on my pc and Plex on my Android devices for years (in my old house) because it was much more user friendly for the kids to access all their movies.
    However, I no longer have this set up and all my files are now stored on a 6tb hdd in my highish end Android media box. Kodi plays local files perfectly but Plex for Android cannot access local files on the Q10pro. But, if I install exactly the same Android apk onto my tablet or phone, I am able to navigate to (and play) local files on the specific device.
    When I install the apk onto my Q10pro, on first run I am asked if I want to swap from "mobile" to "TV" layout, if I select "TV" the sidebar changes and there is no way to access local files. If I uninstall the app and the reinstall, I have opted to stay in the "mobile" layout. Now the sidebar has more options (in "Home") including "Open video file" at the bottom and from there I can access all my local files. However, in "mobile" mode, navigation is only possible using either an airmouse or via a remote app on my tablet.

If you uninstall the Plex app from your Aura and then reinstall, do you get the option to select "mobile" layout or does this not appear?

| Fri 18 Dec 2020 10:30:55 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Seems I was slightly wrong. The only video files I can access are in my "download" folder and not all the files on the hdd. I am still tinkering though.

| Fri 18 Dec 2020 10:52:03 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogbody

Using the VLC app pre-installed on the Aura I can access and play video files stored on my WD "My Cloud" NAS. This is via my wired network and TP-Link powerline adaptors.
    Just works, no faffing about.

| Sun 20 Dec 2020 9:30:28 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.