My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Poor Signal, or software?

(64 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ChemicalRob

I love the Aura, especially the fact that it now can act as a server, sending TV around the house like my Synology NAS. It is a really neat feature. So I hate to bring up the issue of poor Signal from the tuners again, but I still have problems.

I have 3 aerials, connected to 5 TV's and the Aura has the only tuner which cannot get the com7 channel 55 signal to decode from any aerial. I have also had an aerial fitter out, and he doesn't understand why.

I realise the signal is weak,(I gather the com7 channel 55 is very low power, (winter hill transmitter)) but why is the Aura the only one which will not show any picture? The Aura, shows 100% strength, but 0% quality of signal. Before someone asks what signal the other TV's show, they are all different, the point is they have a picture.

Is it really the tuner (seems unlikely as everything else works), or is there a built in software signal "cut-off"? If it's in software, then is there any chance the software engineers can lower the threshold and let the users adjust it?

Otherwise, I don't really know where to go next, other than a massive aerial, and I won't be doing that as the Freeview frequency is only temporary and should have already gone, but could stay in use till 2025 according to freeview.

| Wed 5 May 2021 20:08:26 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

ChemicalRob - 21 mins ago  » 
    I love the Aura, especially the fact that it now can act as a server, sending TV around the house like my Synology NAS. It is a really neat feature. So I hate to bring up the issue of poor Signal from the tuners again, but I still have problems.
    I have 3 aerials, connected to 5 TV's and the Aura has the only tuner which cannot get the com7 channel 55 signal to decode from any aerial. I have also had an aerial fitter out, and he doesn't understand why.
    I realise the signal is weak,(I gather the com7 channel 55 is very low power, (winter hill transmitter)) but why is the Aura the only one which will not show any picture? The Aura, shows 100% strength, but 0% quality of signal. Before someone asks what signal the other TV's show, they are all different, the point is they have a picture.
    Is it really the tuner (seems unlikely as everything else works), or is there a built in software signal "cut-off"? If it's in software, then is there any chance the software engineers can lower the threshold and let the users adjust it?
    Otherwise, I don't really know where to go next, other than a massive aerial, and I won't be doing that as the Freeview frequency is only temporary and should have already gone, but could stay in use till 2025 according to freeview.

Did you tune the aura using autotune ?

If so identify the UHF carrier that the TV's that work use. Delete all the channels, connect the aerial that works and manually tune the Aura.

That aerial may be located such that is shielded from other transmitters that use the same UHF carrier for COM 7.

| Wed 5 May 2021 20:37:16 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

ChemicalRob

Yes, I have tried tuning manually, sometimes (not very often) it finds some of the channels on the mux. Most of the times it doesn't. If it does find any of the channels, then they tend to work for a day or so, then they are gone again. A day or so later it might show again, but they never stay for long.

This is why I ask about software signal cut-offs, it seems like the signal is on the cusp, as it where.

I should add, all of the other muxes are fine. It just seems to be those channels on 55, BBC hd news, BBC 4, and a few other HD channels. There are some SD versions of some of the missing channels, but as you will appreciate, I didn't buy the Aura to watch SD channels

| Wed 5 May 2021 20:49:38 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

ChemicalRob - 2 mins ago  » 
    Yes, I have tried tuning manually, sometimes (not very often) it finds some of the channels on the mux. Most of the times it doesn't. If it does find any of the channels, then they tend to work for a day or so, then they are gone again. A day or so later it might show again, but they never stay for long.
    This is why I ask about software signal cut-offs, it seems like the signal is on the cusp, as it where.
    I should add, all of the other muxes are fine. It just seems to be those channels on 55, BBC hd news, BBC 4, and a few other HD channels. There are some SD versions of some of the missing channels, but as you will appreciate, I didn't buy the Aura to watch SD channels

Com7 is is being converted to a single frequency network and it's due to close shortly anywhere. I take it the Aura work fine with PSB-3 - HD mux available on all UK transmitters (relay or main power)

This Mux allows 4 recordings at the same time and even the 5th with a simple workaround.

| Wed 5 May 2021 21:00:17 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

ChemicalRob

As far as I know, just com7 channel 55 channels missing, I will have to check what is meant to be on PSB-3 - HD mux and whether I have them, but I think so.

| Wed 5 May 2021 21:09:25 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

ChemicalRob

Just had a look and it's all the main HD channels, BBC1 HD, ITV HD, BBC2 HD etc on PSB-3 - HD mux, so yes I have all of those, 100% strength, and about 90% quality.

| Wed 5 May 2021 21:13:32 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

ChemicalRob - 1 min ago  » 
    Just had a look and it's all the main HD channels, BBC1 HD, ITV HD, BBC2 HD etc on PSB-3 - HD mux, so yes I have all of those, 100% strength, and about 90% quality.

A 100% strength suggests the possibility that your signal strength is too high and the fact that the quality is less than 100% reinforces it. The aim is to have a quality figure of 100%.

| Wed 5 May 2021 21:18:16 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

ChemicalRob

I have a attenuator (not in use) but lowering the strength won't increase the quality will it?

In any case, as I sort of hinted at earlier, what does the % actually mean anyway? I get a picture on every other receiver in the house.

| Wed 5 May 2021 21:30:56 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

ChemicalRob - 1 day ago  » 
    I have a attenuator (not in use) but lowering the strength won't increase the quality will it?

It is well known on other Humax units that too high a signal level causes the tuners to saturate and their performance drops off and hence the quality drops. The signal strength is an arbitrary scale set by Humax; the quality is a measure of how much error correction is needed. In normal circumstances 100% quality is usually attainable and desirable.

| Thu 6 May 2021 23:18:05 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

ChemicalRob

So lowering the signal can increase the quality, by reducing the errors caused by "too high" a signal then.

I have to say I'm sceptical but I will connect my attenuator and give it a go.

Thanks.

| Fri 7 May 2021 0:37:19 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.