My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Poor Signal, or software?

(64 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

ChemicalRob - 8 mins ago  » 
    So lowering the signal can increase the quality, by reducing the errors caused by "too high" a signal then.

A fair number of people have used this method to improve picture quality. I think the method is more applicable to the earlier Humax boxes which seem to have more sensitive tuners (and hence more likely to overload) but there have certainly been some reports from Aura users where an attenuator has helped.

I have to say I'm sceptical but I will connect my attenuator and give it a go.

Let us know how you get on.

| Fri 7 May 2021 0:49:47 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

ChemicalRob

I gave it a go this afternoon, surprisingly I could tune and watch BBC News HD with a 100% signal, and 0% quality, no pixelling at all while I watched (for about 1/2 hour). This is not unheard of, just doesn't happen often, and you can bet it loses the picture (cuts to black screen with a low signal message) whenever something you want to watch comes on.

I then attached the attenuator, a variable attenuator 0-20db, frequency range 5-1000MHz, at 90%, 70%, 50%, and 30% signal strength, in all cases the quality remained at 0% and I had no picture.

A question for those who understand these things, given that I am trying to tune channels on Freeview Channel 55, frequency 746000, bandwidth 8MHz, is that attenuator ok to use?

When I attached it with a strength of 100%, I did get a picture, Today....

| Fri 7 May 2021 16:15:34 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

ChemicalRob

My Attenuator

Attachments

1. IMG_20210507_161728750.jpg (177.9 KB, 1 downloads) 2 years old
    | Fri 7 May 2021 17:18:10 #13 |
  4. davidrew

davidrew

special member

I use an Axing TZU 4-01 Adjustable attenuator so yours should be fine.

Attachments

1. Attenuator.jpg (125.4 KB, 0 downloads) 2 years old
    | Sat 8 May 2021 10:38:58 #14 |
  5. Mars

Mars

special member

I know that some people on this forum are obsessed with variable attenuators, but do we need the photos?

| Sat 8 May 2021 10:51:25 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

ChemicalRob

The photo was posted in an attempt to confirm that I was using the correct type and grade of attenuator.

There are many posts about tuning issues, and an equal number claiming that an attenuator will fix the problem. In my case it did not so I was asking if it was the correct specification.

The forum allows photographs, and so this seemed like the right way to confirm.

Sorry you found issue.

| Sat 8 May 2021 16:55:04 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

ChemicalRob - 4 hours ago  » 
    The photo was posted in an attempt to confirm that I was using the correct type and grade of attenuator.
    There are many posts about tuning issues, and an equal number claiming that an attenuator will fix the problem. In my case it did not so I was asking if it was the correct specification.

As far as I can see the attenuator should be OK. It remains true that on earlier Humax boxes using an attenuator does help in locations with high signal strength; sadly they appear less helpful on the Aura boxes. I did at least attempt to offer a solution. There was a case a few weeks ago when this sort of problem was traced to a faulty amplifier in the aerial cabling. Any amplifiers in your setup?

| Sat 8 May 2021 21:45:44 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

ChemicalRob

No, I don't have any amplifiers anywhere, hence 3 aerials to avoid splitting the signal too much. In fact the Aura has it's own aerial.

Interestingly, the aerial pass through from the Aura goes to the Samsung TV (which the Aura is connected to by a HDMI) and if I use that TV as the tuner, I get all the channels, so I was wondering if the Aura boosts the signal, and if so, would a booster before the Aura help?

Unfortunately I don't have one to try and would have to order one.

| Sat 8 May 2021 23:46:17 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Make sure, before doing a manual retune, that you specifically delete ALL the currently saved lcn's from c55 otherwise (if it is anything like the 4000t/5000t) the new search won't always overwrite the stored information.

| Sun 9 May 2021 9:24:07 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

ChemicalRob

SSThing - 1 hour ago  » 
    Make sure, before doing a manual retune, that you specifically delete ALL the currently saved lcn's from c55 otherwise (if it is anything like the 4000t/5000t) the new search won't always overwrite the stored information.

I will do that in future.

I have had a read up on the dB scale used for signal strength, and it seems that it is not a linear scale. The signal strength doubles every 3dB increase in value. If so, then a very small increase in dB's would make a massive difference in difference to the signal.

Since I know that lowering the signal doesn't help me, then I think it's definitely worth a try with a booster. The OneForAll booster adds 23dB which sounds like it may be too much, so I think I will look for an adjustable booster.

| Sun 9 May 2021 10:52:37 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.