My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Poor Signal, or software?

(64 posts)
  1. Mars

Mars

special member

If the signal strength is 100% then what is the point of booster? Are you receiving Ch55 from two transmitters? Did you retune after adding the variable attenuator? I would try reducing the signal strength to about 75% then retune.

| Sun 9 May 2021 12:25:13 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

ChemicalRob

I could be receiving signals from 2 transmitters, as I have received channels from the Welsh transmitter Moel-y-Parc in the past (winter hill is the correct transmitter). In the past, I have had duplicate channels, one with regional Welsh programs. I have no Welsh programs, how would I tell if I had interference from the other transmitter? Again it does not affect any other receiver in the house.

I did retune each time I changed the signal strength, but I did not clear old channels first as suggested by an earlier poster.

The point of boosting the signal when at 100% strength is that I do not know what 100% means. If I moved closer to the transmitter, then the signal would be stronger, but it would still read 100%. Obviously software decides what 100% is, and there is obviously a point at which it decides everything above this level is 100%. I have a feeling, that that the calculation/limit may be wrong. Hence my original question.

| Sun 9 May 2021 13:33:01 #22 |
  3. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

I have just bought a Humax Aura despite reading a few negative reviews I have been a Humax user for many years. I love the speed of the Aura but I am having the signal and quality problems others describe. It is particularly noticeable on The Yesterday channel (26 in Brighton) with bad pixilation and break up. Quality fluctuations down to 65% then up to 100%. I have bought an attenuator (the SAC one pictured earlier). I have tried turning down the signal but I’m not sure how far to go. It doesn’t really seem to improve the signal quality. Stil fluctuating! I have been in touch with Humax but no answer on this yet. Also the Aura app won’t accept the ref code on my iPhone! Might be going back to shop

| Thu 13 May 2021 9:36:52 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Paul Bton - 18 mins ago  » 
    Stil fluctuating! I have been in touch with Humax but no answer on this yet. Also the Aura app won’t accept the ref code on my iPhone! Might be going back to shop

My reading of the release notes for the latest Beta test software is that there are changes which may help you when the software is finally released.

| Thu 13 May 2021 9:56:30 #24 |
  5. Mars

Mars

special member

Martin Liddle - 17 mins ago  » 

Stil fluctuating! I have been in touch with Humax but no answer on this yet. Also the Aura app won’t accept the ref code on my iPhone! Might be going back to shop

My reading of the release notes for the latest Beta test software is that there are changes which may help you when the software is finally released.

The beta firmware does not solve the problem of varying signal quality on DVB-T muxes. The release notes mention DVB-T2.

| Thu 13 May 2021 10:16:21 #25 |
  6. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

Just got a reply from Humax. They recommend a reset. Which is a pain as have to re sign in on iPlayer’s and uktv Play etc. Have done it all. Guess what the app still says invalid code. Will have to wait for software update. Sorry if strayed off main topic.

The reset does seem to have helped signal. Have removed attenuator. Does not work for me but only wasted £5. The signal strength on ch33 is 96% and quality 100%

| Thu 13 May 2021 12:32:26 #26 |
  7. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

Mars - 2 hours ago  » 

The beta firmware does not solve the problem of varying signal quality on DVB-T muxes. The release notes mention DVB-T2.

It is the SD Channels that have the signal quality problems as you say. The HD DVB-T2 are fine. I have spoken to Richersounds and they suggested calling Humax helpline. They will replace the box if is a duff unit. My second full reset seems to have helped signal quality.

Shame about the app invalid code. But Humax apps have never really worked in my experience.

| Thu 13 May 2021 12:41:17 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

Paul Bton - 21 mins ago  » 

Mars - 2 hours ago  » 

It is the SD Channels that have the signal quality problems as you say. The HD DVB-T2 are fine. I have spoken to Richersounds and they suggested calling Humax helpline. They will replace the box if is a duff unit. My second full reset seems to have helped signal quality.
    Shame about the app invalid code. But Humax apps have never really worked in my experience.

I too have some signal issues on SD channels but I assumed that it was down to the aura tuners being a bit more sensitive. I didn’t think that it could be down to a duff box? I think there’s many out there (I could be wrong) with signal problems on SD channels. That’s potentially a lot of duff boxes?

| Thu 13 May 2021 13:05:07 #28 |
  9. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

The signal quality has improved after second full reset. So I recommend that. A pain to log back into catch up services though.

The thing that worried me was that the Aura doesn’t ask what region I’m in when retuning. I am in South East but can get BBC South news too. I assumed that the Aura is cleverer about that now. Hope I’m not wrong.

| Thu 13 May 2021 13:28:11 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

Paul Bton - 3 hours ago  » 
    The signal quality has improved after second full reset. So I recommend that. A pain to log back into catch up services though.
    The thing that worried me was that the Aura doesn’t ask what region I’m in when retuning. I am in South East but can get BBC South news too. I assumed that the Aura is cleverer about that now. Hope I’m not wrong.

Is this a freeview or factory reset? If latter does it keep recordings?

| Thu 13 May 2021 16:51:55 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.