My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Poor Signal, or software?

(64 posts)
  1. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

boogersa - 1 hour ago  » 

Paul Bton - 3 hours ago  » 
    The signal quality has improved after second full reset. So I recommend that. A pain to log back into catch up services though.
    The thing that worried me was that the Aura doesn’t ask what region I’m in when retuning. I am in South East but can get BBC South news too. I assumed that the Aura is cleverer about that now. Hope I’m not wrong.

Is this a freeview or factory reset? If latter does it keep recordings?

Device reset from Freeview home (Factor reset) kept my recordings. Only deletes app settings etc. And deletes schedules

| Thu 13 May 2021 19:33:45 #31 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

ChemicalRob - 6 days ago  » 
    So lowering the signal can increase the quality, by reducing the errors caused by "too high" a signal then.
    I have to say I'm sceptical but I will connect my attenuator and give it a go.
    Thanks.

Despite the digital TV label. Digital TV still uses a analogue sine wave carrier in the UHF band. A pure sine wave carries no audio or digital audio.

It has to be varied in some way. The receiver recreates the original pure sine wave in the opposite phase. Adding the two deletes the analogue carrier leaving just the modulated digital data.

If the sine wave amplitude is higher than the the tuner can cope with the positive and negative peaks of the carrier are chopped off basically with a fixed level. The resulting distortion creates the issue.

eg FM radio modifies the basic carrier by varying the frequency (Frequency modulation).

Life was much simpler when the presence or absence of the carrier meant that you had nothing or something. Hence long range Morse Code.

TV simply modulates the carrier with digital info.

Hence there is no such thing as a digital aerial. Everyone is designed to receive a UHF carrier in the case of TV.

| Thu 13 May 2021 22:35:52 #32 |
  3. Mars

Mars

special member

Paul Bton - 17 hours ago  » 
    The signal quality has improved after second full reset. So I recommend that. A pain to log back into catch up services though.
    The thing that worried me was that the Aura doesn’t ask what region I’m in when retuning. I am in South East but can get BBC South news too. I assumed that the Aura is cleverer about that now. Hope I’m not wrong.

I don't think that a reset is the solution. If you want to really test the signal quality record three channels (Sky Arts, Drama, and Yesterday) simultaneously and check the signal quality.
    Regarding regions, are you using the beta firmware?

| Fri 14 May 2021 8:26:15 #33 |
  4. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

Yes the reset hasn’t permanently solved the signal problem. Last night I was back down to 65% quality on the SD channels. It seems to improve gradually after about 1 hour. I will try the three SD recording.

Why question is will this be solved by a software fix? Can the tuners be tweaked? Or is the Aura fatally flawed?

| Fri 14 May 2021 9:50:34 #34 |
  5. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

My Humax Aura is going back to Richer Sounds. It just has too many basic problems. I will try a new one but if that doesn’t work then I’ll have to by a Manhattan box

| Fri 14 May 2021 16:05:43 #35 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

technick

Yeah I am losing patience with signal issue on SD channels that is not present on anything else on the same aerial, including a TV on the Auras passthrough. I still hope there is a fix in next firmware, but if not will probably return it.

| Fri 14 May 2021 17:36:30 #36 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

technick - 22 mins ago  » 
    Yeah I am losing patience with signal issue on SD channels that is not present on anything else on the same aerial, including a TV on the Auras passthrough. I still hope there is a fix in next firmware, but if not will probably return it.

Same issue for me. SD channels poor but via tv pass through they’re ok on the tv. Frustrating but I tend to not watch much SD channels anyway…but do I hardly watch because I know the picture quality won’t be good on the Aura? It does put me off recording SD channels.

| Fri 14 May 2021 18:01:06 #37 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The only time I watch SD TV is BBC1-SD every morning (it has the local news) and I stream it from the Media Server, live to a Samsung tablet using bubble upnp and VLC. Strangely this is rock solid. Not sure if this is a clue.

Anyone tried streaming SD TV this way ? You could also try streaming to a PC running VLC. The Media server appears in the UPNP option.

You could also try some test SD recordings.

| Fri 14 May 2021 18:16:49 #38 |
  9. Mars

Mars

special member

grahamlthompson - 23 mins ago  » 
    The only time I watch SD TV is BBC1-SD every morning (it has the local news) and I stream it from the Media Server, live to a Samsung tablet using bubble upnp and VLC. Strangely this is rock solid. Not sure if this is a clue.
    Anyone tried streaming SD TV this way ? You could also try streaming to a PC running VLC. The Media server appears in the UPNP option.

For me, the problem muxes are ARQ A and B and SDN, and not BBCA or D3&4. If you want to really test the signal quality record three channels (Sky Arts, Drama, and Yesterday) simultaneously and check the signal quality.

| Fri 14 May 2021 18:43:46 #39 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Mars - 18 mins ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 23 mins ago  » 

For me, the problem muxes are ARQ A and B and SDN, and not BBCA or D3&4. If you want to really test the signal quality record three channels (Sky Arts, Drama, and Yesterday) simultaneously and check the signal quality.

Yesterday is about the only channel I would watch. I will have a play tomorrow and check after the box wakes up if yesterday is viewable live on the tablet.

| Fri 14 May 2021 19:09:14 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.