Poor Signal, or software?

(64 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Paul Bton - 1 day ago  » 

boogersa - 1 hour ago  » 

Paul Bton - 3 hours ago  » 
    The signal quality has improved after second full reset. So I recommend that. A pain to log back into catch up services though.
    The thing that worried me was that the Aura doesn’t ask what region I’m in when retuning. I am in South East but can get BBC South news too. I assumed that the Aura is cleverer about that now. Hope I’m not wrong.

Is this a freeview or factory reset? If latter does it keep recordings?

Device reset from Freeview home (Factor reset) kept my recordings. Only deletes app settings etc. And deletes schedules

Depending on which software version you have. You can save user settings (inlcuding the recording schedule) before a reset and import the saved settings after a reset.

| Fri 14 May 2021 20:46:38 #41 |
  2. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

Yes I found that setting about saving settings but haven’t used it yet.
    Is there more than one type of reset? I was asked by Humax to go under the Freeview/settings/device preferences/reset.
    Would a future software (or firmware) update fix the Aura’s over sensitivity/ over sensitivity?

| Sat 15 May 2021 8:45:48 #42 |
  3. Mars

Mars

special member

Paul Bton - 37 mins ago  » 
    Is there more than one type of reset? I was asked by Humax to go under the Freeview/settings/device preferences/reset.
    Would a future software (or firmware) update fix the Aura’s over sensitivity/ over sensitivity?

Lots of things can be solved by firmware updates nowadays, but who knows. Humax are only likely to try and fix a problem if the problem is clear. Lots of vague posts complaining about signal quality do not help. Which muxes are you having problems with?

| Sat 15 May 2021 9:28:56 #43 |
  4. DarrenHill

DarrenHill

technick - 18 hours ago  » 
    Yeah I am losing patience with signal issue on SD channels that is not present on anything else on the same aerial, including a TV on the Auras passthrough. I still hope there is a fix in next firmware, but if not will probably return it.

I had something similar, bad signal on the Aura but decent picture on two TVs, one of which was on the Aura's output.

Turns out that I had a faulty signal booster at the aerial end of things, plus a cheap dodgy cable. Once those two were replaced, everything is running perfectly and the picture on the Aura is fine (and I gained a few new channels on everything).

The tuner strength on the Aura is not the highest, but it might be worthwhile to get your set-up checked out by an engineer to confirm if you've maybe got something similar happening.

| Sat 15 May 2021 11:40:05 #44 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

ChemicalRob

I have now fitted a signal booster, and the channel 55 HD channels have all appeared. A tune immediately before fitting the booster found none of them.

The signal remained at 100% with and without the booster, but with the booster the quality of signal which was 0% without the booster now fluctuates between 0 and 34%, it spends most of its time at 0%.

Also when tuning with the booster, the Aura said it had found multiple regions, (think it was north west, Wales, and Isle of Man) I was also given other choices such as Liverpool or Manchester as I chose north west. These were not offered without the booster.

Will see how it goes, as I stated in my other posts, I have picked the channels up in the past without the booster, and they disappear quite often, but feeling optimistic this time.

| Sat 15 May 2021 14:38:28 #45 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

ChemicalRob - 10 mins ago  » 
    I have now fitted a signal booster, and the channel 55 HD channels have all appeared. A tune immediately before fitting the booster found none of them.
    The signal remained at 100% with and without the booster, but with the booster the quality of signal which was 0% without the booster now fluctuates between 0 and 34%, it spends most of its time at 0%.

Interesting. I am really puzzled by the very low signal quality figures. Are these the figures reported by the Aura? Does anyone else see anything usable with such low signal quality? This may be seen as rude, but are you certain that you are not transposing the strength and quality figures values?

| Sat 15 May 2021 14:53:09 #46 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

On my 4000t I can attenuate some of the channels wayyyy down (can't remember the exact figure but pretty certain it was less than 34%) and be able to watch without issues. But to be reporting 100% signal and 0% quality but still receiving channels makes no sense.
    Another quirk of my 4000t is if I am scrolling down the list of muxes to do a manual tune, if I get to (let's say) 55 but haven't changed from DVB to DVBT2, it will often display 100% signal and 0% quality, obviously changing to DVBT2 then displays the correct information. I wonder if the Aura is similar?

| Sat 15 May 2021 15:30:27 #47 |
  8. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

Mars - 7 hours ago  » 

Paul Bton - 37 mins ago  » 

Lots of things can be solved by firmware updates nowadays, but who knows. Humax are only likely to try and fix a problem if the problem is clear. Lots of vague posts complaining about signal quality do not help. Which muxes are you having problems with?

What are you talking about ‘vague posts’. Are you disbelieving those who have signal issues? Have you got an Aura? If not keep your unhelpful comments to yourself.

| Sat 15 May 2021 16:42:01 #48 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

ChemicalRob

Definitely 100% signal and 0% quality as given by the Aura. Like I say it drifts about into the 30% range and back down to 0%.

Agree about the "vague posts" reference being unhelpful. Those without the signal problems, clearly think it's our fault and not the Aura. My other TV's and the aerial engineer I had round suggest they are wrong.

Just the channel 55 com7 DVBT2 signal that has 0% quality. Most others are 100% and 100%.

Was wondering if it's possible that the Aura 'flattens' the signal based upon the channel at what it considers 100% quality with the highest signal? If so, I suppose the attenuator would have worked, but it didn't.

| Sat 15 May 2021 19:38:51 #49 |
  10. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

I returned my Humax Aura to Richersounds and got a replacement 2Tb Aura. The new one has no problem at all in the SD channels. So I urge anyone with similar fluctuating SD channel quality to replace your Humax box with a new one. The new box is still on firmware 19.14.

| Tue 18 May 2021 16:58:32 #50 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.