My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

PVR 9150T Using Humaxrw in Linux

(17 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

dave2319

Got a Humax PVR 9150T and the recorded programmes have disappeared from view but are still taking up space on the HDD, so have seen this means the file system's become corrupt and there's the option to try using Humaxrw to transfer the data to a computer, then format the Humax drive and transfer the data back.

I've removed the Humax drive and got sorted with the SATA to USB cable, but not sure how to use Humaxrw on my Linux computer. Have been to this page:
    https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/humaxrw and downloaded humaxrw-1.15-linux.tar.gz at the bottom, then extracted the file, but not sure what to do from there. It doesn't automatically start up when I plug the cable into the USB port at the back of the computer and switch the cable on, and typing "humaxrw -h" into the terminal says the command's not found.

| Sat 9 May 2020 9:17:25 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Try "./humaxrw -h"

| Sat 9 May 2020 11:13:37 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

dave2319

That says: "No such file or directory".

The location is: /home/owner/Downloads/Humaxrw
    but typing "/home/owner/Downloads/Humaxrw -h" into the terminal just confirms that it "Is a directory".

I see in the Readme text file it says for installation:

"Just copy it into a suitable directory. You may need to be an admin user to be able to read/write the raw devices when running the program...
    On Linux hosts the device names are typically: /dev/hda, /dev/hdb etc."

Sorry, I don't understand that though. As you can probably gather, I don't know much about Linux, it's just that I've got a Linux computer!

Also, I saw this thread:
    https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/humaxrw-linux-trying-to-read-9150t-disk
    and in the third post, the commands Peter mentions haven't worked for me yet either.

| Sat 9 May 2020 11:57:48 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

dave2319 - 23 mins ago  » 
    That says: "No such file or directory".

Try:
    /home/owner/Downloads/Humaxrw/humaxrw -h

| Sat 9 May 2020 12:22:26 #4 |
  5. Biggles

Biggles

special member

I have found that HumaxRW does not work on my 64 bit Linux Mint but will work on 32 bit Linux Mint, it will work on 64 bit Windows though. My intension (because my 9200 has gone corrupt) is to run a live session of Linux Mint 32 bit from a USB stick and run HumaxRW from that, a quick test suggests that it will work as expected.

| Sat 9 May 2020 12:22:42 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

dave2319

Martin, that also says there's no such file or directory.
    Thanks for the replies though, and all the help I've seen from you in other threads and forums when researching this issue with the Humax box.

Biggles, thanks for the info. I'm on Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit.
    I don't have any USB sticks so would need to buy one. Feel free to PM me an affiliate link (if allowed) to one that would be suitable.

Presumably it would involve downloading the 32-bit edition from here:
    https://linuxmint.com/release.php?id=29
    onto the USB stick, would it? And if you've got any tips or do's and don'ts, that would be useful. Thanks.

| Sat 9 May 2020 17:36:15 #6 |
  7. Biggles

Biggles

special member

I was getting exactly the same results as you on my 64 bit Mate 19.3. You'll need any old USB flash drive of 4GB or larger, you probably won't get anything smaller than 16GB these days though. This one from Asda works fine but Wilko, Argos, Tesco, PC World etc. sell them, just avoid the SanDisk Cruzer Blade.
    Download the 32 bit Mint .iso file from your link and then write it to the USB stick. In Mate I use 'USB Image Writer' to write the file to the stick, not sure what is available in Cinnamon but probably the same, it's under 'Accessories' in Mate. You DO NOT simply copy the file to the stick.
    You now need to boot your computer from the USB stick, this might mean altering something in the 'Boot' section of BIOS. Allow Mint to boot from the USB stick and you'll be running a 32 bit operating system without affecting the system installed on your hard drive. You'll be able to access the files in your 'Home' folder on your hard drive and navigate to HumaxRW.
    I haven't done the job on my 9200 yet but I have got HumaxRW working as expected in 32 bit Mint and 64 bit Windoze, or at least its help page. I will look forward to seeing how you get on.

| Sat 9 May 2020 19:00:50 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

dave2319

Thanks for the info, Biggles.

So when I click to download the 32-bit version from a UK mirror site, it asks me to save the file: linuxmint-18.2-cinnamon-32bit.iso
    Presumably I can just click Save, so it goes in the Downloads area that it defaults to, and then click Accessories and USB Image Writer (which is indeed on Cinnamon too) and choose that .iso file and write it to the USB stick.

Then when rebooting and pressing F11 (for me) to enter BIOS, there should be another option - besides the Ubuntu one that's currently there - to select the USB stick for booting up. Visually the boot-up should basically look the same and take the usual amount of time without installing anything, right?

I guess it doesn't take very long to write it to the USB stick, but do you or anyone else know what sort of time we're talking about for transferring maybe 100 GB of data from the Humax drive?

Apologies for all the Linux questions but just trying to make sure I get it right, partly because the computer shops are currently still closed!

| Sat 9 May 2020 23:50:34 #8 |
  9. Biggles

Biggles

special member

dave2319 - 13 mins ago  » 
    Thanks for the info, Biggles.
    So when I click to download the 32-bit version from a UK mirror site, it asks me to save the file: linuxmint-18.2-cinnamon-32bit.iso
    Presumably I can just click Save, so it goes in the Downloads area that it defaults to, and then click Accessories and USB Image Writer (which is indeed on Cinnamon too) and choose that .iso file and write it to the USB stick.

Yes that's about it. I have Firefox always ask me where to download files but so long as you know where the file is that's fine.

Then when rebooting and pressing F11 (for me) to enter BIOS, there should be another option - besides the Ubuntu one that's currently there - to select the USB stick for booting up. Visually the boot-up should basically look the same and take the usual amount of time without installing anything, right?

On my computer at boot F10 takes me to a boot order menu where I can select from the available bootable devices, hard disk, USB stick, etc. I have an option in BIOS to boot from a USB device or not, I enter BIOS with F2. You'll need to check your motherboard manual for your options. Boot up will be quicker from the USB stick. So long as you don't click 'Instal' your current installation won't be affected.

I guess it doesn't take very long to write it to the USB stick, but do you or anyone else know what sort of time we're talking about for transferring maybe 100 GB of data from the Humax drive?
    Apologies for all the Linux questions but just trying to make sure I get it right, partly because the computer shops are currently still closed!

Just a few minutes to write the .iso file to the USB stick. As for the transfer it depends if you're using USB2 or USB3 and even then the transfer probably won't run at the rated speed, have the kettle on.

BTW. I've just loaded 32 bit Cinnamon from your link to a USB stick and booted from it, I prefer Mate.

Read through this again, I've been altering it as we go.

| Sun 10 May 2020 0:05:57 #9 |
  10. Biggles

Biggles

special member

If you've got a DVD recorder on your computer you could burn the .iso file to a DVD using the package K3b and run a live session from that although the live OS will run very very much slower than from a USB stick.

PM sent.

| Sun 10 May 2020 9:44:38 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.