My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Recordings did not appear ... fixed and sharing

(4 posts)
  1. garob

garob

Bought this box Friday with a 500Gb hdd installed and replaced the drive with my 1Tb SSD I lifted from my now dead and unsupported Icecrypt T2400 (PSU had failed) . I realise this voids the warranty but Im a TV/Video /IT/ Electronics engineer ...

When powered on from standby the unit failed to show recordings . I had to carry out a factory reset , including "formatting" the drive and channel re scan . When I did this and powered on the recordings appeared (bit of a weird format).

I switched off the power save mode and restarted the unit including cold boot and recordings are retained . May be a power on quirk of my SSD .

Loving the 5000T - best box Ive has since my Topfield 5810 .

| Sun 26 Nov 2017 12:05:43 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

By recordings I presume you mean the recording schedule ? At a guess your existing recordings are left on the old hard disk.

| Sun 26 Nov 2017 12:20:08 #2 |
  3. garob

garob

No Graham - I formatted the SSD on installation . The problem is still happening after I thought I had found a fix .. my options are to power off the Humax at mains and reboot - recordings re appear , leave the humax switched on .

The SSD is not powering on from "standby" or "power off" . Only a cold reset at the mains will enable the drive to power on with the Humax .

| Wed 29 Nov 2017 22:34:44 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

garob - 7 minutes ago  » 
    No Graham - I formatted the SSD on installation . The problem is still happening after I thought I had found a fix .. my options are to power off the Humax at mains and reboot - recordings re appear , leave the humax switched on .
    The SSD is not powering on from "standby" or "power off" . Only a cold reset at the mains will enable the drive to power on with the Humax .

How can your recordings stored on your old hard disk that can be many GB in size be miracously transferred to a new hard disk. Are you really suggesting your box your box has the same non volatile RAM storage as your last hard disk ? I think not

It's not your recordings that appear it's the future recordings your box will make (The recording schedule).

The relative small amount of data required to remember your recording schedule is a totally different ball game. This has to be held in expensive Non Volatile RAM or held on the hard disk. As you have removed this it's simply impossible that it's stored on the old hard disk.

Recordings are the large files produced as a result of your recording schedule which you can play back (On other Humax boxes transport stream container files with the contained content depending on HD or SD recordings. For HD the video content is H264/AVC, the audio being AAC and for SD the video being mpeg2 and the the audio being mpeg 1 layer 2).

You can't identify this info on on a FVP box but as earlier Humax Freeview+ boxes have the capability and it's the same data this is well known.

The recording schedule is a small amount of data which for series and accurate recordings includes the CRID broadcaster codes which allows the box to follow the episodes in a series and start and stop recording according to the broadcaster running status codes. Plus any manual recording reservations you may have added.

If you had a power cut it would be impossible for the unit to recover and continue recording.

The operating system and recording schedule are held in NVRAM. On all Humax units that I have ever used you can swap the Hard Disk without loss of the recording schedule or the other settings like your tuning information.

I guess if you put a conventional AV sata drive in your box and elected to format it, you would not have the problem, or replaced your old HDD it would work OK.

Reckon it's down to the box not being designed to use a SSD.

| Wed 29 Nov 2017 22:58:01 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.