My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Recordings stopping after less than a minute

(42 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Sue343 - 33 mins ago  » 
    As others have said, I think the recordings are starting prior to the proper CRID being transmitted and stopping when the CRID is transmitted - this may, I guess, sometimes mean that the link to the programme details is not properly picked up.

I think it is unlikely that they would start before the correct CRID is broadcast. My guess would be that the running status (part of the metadata in the broadcast stream) is set to active causing the recording to start but then goes inactive after a short time causing the recording to stop and then goes active again. Clearly only the broadcasters will know if this is feasible and what might be causing it. I have only suffered one failed recording recently but I have also seen a couple of examples where a recording is labelled as failed due to the programme not being broadcast but is actually present in its entirety.

| Wed 26 Feb 2020 13:49:31 #31 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

Martin Liddle - 53 mins ago  » 

I have only suffered one failed recording recently but I have also seen a couple of examples where a recording is labelled as failed due to the programme not being broadcast but is actually present in its entirety.

FWIW, I've only seen the programme not broadcast message (along with a complete recording) when trying to record the first programme on BBC4 or ITV3+1. ie. there is a possiblity of the Humax starting to record before the video stream becomes active.

| Wed 26 Feb 2020 14:46:19 #32 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sue343

Just to be clear, the "failed" recordings that I have experienced are not marked as failed - they appear just like successful recordings, but only last about a minute, stopping just as the target programme is about to start.

| Wed 26 Feb 2020 14:52:04 #33 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

What signal strength and quality do you have with signal info selected ?

| Wed 26 Feb 2020 15:29:59 #34 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sue343

grahamlthompson - 10 mins ago  » 
    What signal strength and quality do you have with signal info selected ?

Graham
    Between 65% and 85% strength depending on the mux and 100% quality. I could try attenuating the signal but I have not noticed any change in strength recently that might explain why this problem suddenly started.
    Sue

| Wed 26 Feb 2020 15:42:37 #35 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

If I have the signal strength that high on my 5000T. I get short signal drop outs from the tuners being overloaded. That could explain why your box is having issues. My box currently shows 50% signal and 100% quality. Got to be worth a try. Can you view and record OK from COM 7 and COM 8 ?

Crystal Palace was for years a Group A aerial transmitter, so you may have a Group A aerial.

These two Mux are out of band with a group A, so you need a wideband preferably a log periodic.

Mux Channel Modulation
    COM 5 22 DVB-T
    PSB1 23 DVB-T
    COM 4 25 DVB-T
    PSB2 26 DVB-T
    COM 6 28 DVB-T
    PSB3 48 DVB-T2
    COM 7 55 DVB-T2
    COM 8 56 DVB-T2

Can you also confirm the UHF channel signal info gives you when you tune to one channel in each Mux matches the channel numbers shown above ?

| Wed 26 Feb 2020 15:59:26 #36 |
  7. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Sue343 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Just to be clear, the "failed" recordings that I have experienced are not marked as failed - they appear just like successful recordings, but only last about a minute, stopping just as the target programme is about to start.

As I said in my post #8 this is exactly what I experienced occasionally with my 9200 years ago so I doubt it's anything new. It's probably something to do with the way Humax implement Accurate Recording, it's never happened on my Panasonic.

| Wed 26 Feb 2020 17:40:54 #37 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sue343

Graham
    I live in a block of flats with a built-in communal aerial system, so I'm afraid I can't give you any technical details on it but I do have and can record from COM7 AND COM8 channels. I have never had any problems with reception.

My channel numbers for each mux match the ones you give except for two. Firstly COM6 displays as "ch-" on my 4000t but I suspect this may be a display issue as the channel number is listed as "28-" on the ukfree.tv listing (the Mhz figures match). More puzzlingly, PSB3 is listed as channel 30, but you and ukfree.tv suggest it should be channel 48 and the Mhz figures do not match, although I note that the Crystal Palace Wikipedia entry does suggest channel 30 for PSB3. Others may understand the reasons for this better than me.
    Sue

| Wed 26 Feb 2020 18:22:21 #38 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Sue343 - 2 mins ago  » 
    Graham
    I live in a block of flats with a built-in communal aerial system, so I'm afraid I can't give you any technical details on it but I do have and can record from COM7 AND COM8 channels. I have never had any problems with reception.
    My channel numbers for each mux match the ones you give except for two. Firstly COM6 displays as "ch-" on my 4000t but I suspect this may be a display issue as the channel number is listed as "28-" on the ukfree.tv listing (the Mhz figures match). More puzzlingly, PSB3 is listed as channel 30, but you and ukfree.tv suggest it should be channel 48 and the Mhz figures do not match, although I note that the Crystal Palace Wikipedia entry does suggest channel 30 for PSB3. Others may understand the reasons for this better than me.
    Sue

As it's a communal setup. The UHF carriers may have been changed and may in fact be from another TV transmitter. It's fairly common for communal systems to have some UHF carriers to be notched out to avoid interference.

Use manual tune to look what if anything you get with the settings shown for PSB3.

Looking as if you do have at least one mux from a different transmitter to the rest. This is known to create issues with accurate recordings.

Could be this is the problem.

Do you know if any of your windows are on the side of the building that has line of sight to Crystal Palace. ?

The regional news on ITV-HD at 18:00 may give a clue compare it with ITV 1 -SD. If different it points to PSB3 coming from a different transmitter.

| Wed 26 Feb 2020 18:45:40 #39 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

If you check Crystal Palace on the freeview.co.uk detailed coverage checker the UHF frequencies/channels do not match all of those in Graham's post. You correctly identify a display problem on 4000T/5000T as "28-" is shown as just "-".
    The UHF channel numbers from freeview.co.uk for Crystal Palace are:
    BBCA (PSB1) 23
    D3&4 (PSB2) 26
    BBCB (PSB3) 30-
    SDN (COM4) 25
    ARQA (COM5) 22
    ARQB (COM6) 28-
    NUK7 (COM7) 55
    NUK8 (COM8) 56
    Local 35

| Wed 26 Feb 2020 18:48:46 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic