My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

Recovering programmes from damaged 9150

(25 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobbicat

As I keep trying to tell you the file system is proprietary to Humax and not recognised by Unix/Linux tools nor Windows.

yes i get that - i'm not sure that i am running humaxrw correctly
    it is an executable file, if i right click it there is an option to run it in the terminal,
    it immediately starts and reports no humax drive detected
    if i try to use command line options i get humaxrw command not recognized

appreciate your help btw

| Sun 15 May 2016 23:26:55 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

bobbicat - 6 minutes ago  » 
    if i try to use command line options i get humaxrw command not recognized

Use the command line. My guess would be you have placed the executable in a directory that is not in the path. Try giving the full path to the executable or using cd to change to the directory where you have placed it and trying

./humaxrw 2: -l

If that doesn't work try changing the 2: until it finds the drive (1:, 3:, 4: etc) (second argument is a lower case L).

| Sun 15 May 2016 23:39:20 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobbicat

Its a bit late now - I've refitted the drive into the 9150 - I'll try again tomorrow.

It is looking good though - I entered the command with the path you suggested - obviously it didn't find the drive that wasn't connected - but it did respond, the command was definitely recognized.

It looks like I'm making progress, many thanks Martin.
    I'll report back tomorrow with my findings.

| Mon 16 May 2016 0:00:55 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobbicat

Thanks again, Martin. You pointed me in the right direction and I was able to get a result.
    Please excuse this long and rambling post.
    I'm writing this out fully so that if another Linux user comes along this might be of use to them.

All of this assumes the drive and its folders are undamaged. This post does not cover recovery or repair options.

I downloaded humaxrw-1.14.tgz to my /Home folder from MyHumaxBlog found on the page '9200T Downloads' dated Mar19th2015 - it was added in 2011 but works okay on a 64bit Ubuntu operating system.

I extracted it into my /Home folder and worked with the executable 'humaxrw' from there.

In Ubuntu Linux a sata drive is defined in this form, /dev/sdX where X is the drive specified as X= a, b, c, d etc [Letters are used rather than numbers]
    The old form /dev/hdX [used in the readme] changed to /dev/sdX when sata drives came along.

I ran 'sudo blkid' in the terminal with the Humax drive connected and identified it as /dev/sdd.

Not surprising as I already have three drives connected and they show up as /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, and /dev/sdc.

I had to use sudo with the commands to make them work. [sudo is superuser - a bit like admin in windows]

So the list command looked like this:

sudo ./humaxrw /dev/sdd -l

That worked. I got a list of the recordings on the Humax disk.
    You will need to check the drive letter for the Humax disk on your equipment, it might not be /dev/sdd.
    I was able to go on to successfully back up from the Humax drive to my /Home folder.

To achieve this I entered the following in the terminal:

sudo ./humaxrw /dev/sdd -b

The backup only took a few minutes. Really pleasing as I was dreading that it might take hours. The backed up files appeared in my /Home directory.
    The .ts files will run with no problem through VLC media player on my PC.

I have copied the files onto a spare ext4 formatted hard drive and intend to find out if my FVP4000t can see them.
    If it cannot I'll reformat to ext3 and try again.

There is a comprehensive description in the readme, which is however slightly out of date as far as sata drives are concerned. However this does not affect the performance of the program 'humaxrw'.

| Mon 16 May 2016 9:34:17 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JHeaton

Martin Liddle - 4 days ago  » 

JHeaton - 1 day ago  » 
    So - I've ordered a SATA to USB cable, the nice people at Amazon should be delivering it on Tuesday. I've also extracted the HDD from the dead box and put it safely. Hopefully once I connect up to my laptop, I'll be able to upload the programmes via either HumaxRW or Hummyreadfiles (which would be better for my purpose)

Humaxrw will work; I am not sure about Hummyreadfiles as there are small difference between the file system for the 9200 and the 9150/9300 and I don't know whether Hummyreadfiles was updated to support both.

And once I get the files onto the laptop, how do I then watch them back?

Try VLC as a starting point.

Oh dear, haven't even got this far yet - can anyone help?

Have got the SATA to USB cable, connected it up, I get the usual 'double bleep' USB connection noise, but it doesn't seem to be able to see the drive?

HummyReadFiles gives an error message that no Humax drive could be found, and HumaxRW won't load at all - it just opens a command prompt window then closes straight away, literally under 1second.

Anyone any ideas, or have I got a Western Digital branded paperweight?

Cheers James

| Thu 19 May 2016 11:54:13 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

JHeaton - 2 hours ago  » 
    Have got the SATA to USB cable, connected it up, I get the usual 'double bleep' USB connection noise, but it doesn't seem to be able to see the drive?

HumaxRW won't load at all - it just opens a command prompt window then closes straight away, literally under 1second.

I would guess you are double clicking on it which will not work. If you are running a recent version of Windows then you need to start a "Command prompt" with Administrative privileges. Start>All Programs>Accessories then instead of left clicking on Command Prompt, right click and select "Run as Administrator". Once you have a command prompt cd to the directory where you have placed humaxrw.exe and type

humaxrw 1: -l

Note that the -l is a lower case "L". if that doesn't work then replace the 1: with 2:, 3;; etc until you get a response. Try reading the readme.txt file that comes with humaxrw.

| Thu 19 May 2016 14:48:58 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JHeaton

Martin Liddle - 16 minutes ago  » 

JHeaton - 2 hours ago  » 

HumaxRW won't load at all - it just opens a command prompt window then closes straight away, literally under 1second.
    I would guess you are double clicking on it which will not work. If you are running a recent version of Windows then you need to start a "Command prompt" with Administrative privileges. Start>All Programs>Accessories then instead of left clicking on Command Prompt, right click and select "Run as Administrator". Once you have a command prompt cd to the directory where you have placed humaxrw.exe and type
    humaxrw 1: -l
    Note that the -l is a lower case "L". if that doesn't work then replace the 1: with 2:, 3;; etc until you get a response. Try reading the readme.txt file that comes with humaxrw.

Martin and forum

Thanks for persisting with this idiot, who is desperately trying to remember command line work from GCSE computing over 20yrs ago...

Having got into the right directory, the command humaxrw 1: l gives the response 'partition table: permission denied'. Couldn't see a way to overcome this in the readme file, any ideas?

Cheers James

| Thu 19 May 2016 15:06:58 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

JHeaton - 23 minutes ago  » 

Having got into the right directory, the command humaxrw 1: l gives the response 'partition table: permission denied'. Couldn't see a way to overcome this in the readme file, any ideas?

Did you run humaxrw as Administrator? Did you try numbers other than 1:? What version of Windows are you using?

| Thu 19 May 2016 15:31:17 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JHeaton

Martin Liddle - 4 minutes ago  » 

JHeaton - 23 minutes ago  » 

Did you run humaxrw as Administrator?

Yes

Did you try numbers other than 1:?

Only 1 gave this response. 2-9 said 'no such file or directory'. Figured there wasn't much point going higher although willing to try it.

What version of Windows are you using?

Windows 7

Cheers James

| Thu 19 May 2016 15:38:27 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

For the sake of clarity; did you run as Administrator using the procedure I specified? Being a user with Administrative rights is not enough.

| Thu 19 May 2016 15:46:27 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.