My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

remote responds less than 25% of the time

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

savagej

Hi,

I have a FVP 4000T.
    The remote (RM L08) has never been very good and now responds to less than 25% of button presses.
    I have tried new batteries lots of times - never rechargeables.
    I have cleaned battery contacts but still it is unresponsive.
    The remote hasn't been dropped or damaged.

Has anyone else had a similar experience or I really hope some advice?

With thanks

James

| Mon 16 Dec 2019 23:47:52 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamRHK

special member

Does the standby button light up when you press buttons? There is a red circle around the standby button (top right) which should flash whenever a button is pressed. If it does then the remote is probably OK. Are you pointing the remote at the sensor on the front of the FVP (silly question I guess but worth asking) - front right of the FVP? Another thing you can try is to point the remote at the front facing camera of a phone and see if you can see the IR lamp flash (invisible to the naked eye but cameras will pick it up). If the remote seems to be working the the problem may be in the FVP. Let us know how you get on.

| Tue 17 Dec 2019 12:07:47 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

fedman1

special member

Sounds obvious but my Humax's came with a thin protective film which covered the boxes Infra Red detector. Remote control operation was very insensitive until this was peeled off.
    They may not still fit this film to current models, but worth a check.

| Tue 17 Dec 2019 18:06:14 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

savagej

Update:I bought a dirt cheap remote from Amazon and it is 100% reliable. Humax remote in the bin where it belongs.

| Thu 26 Dec 2019 22:24:37 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

savagej - 23 hours ago  » 
    Update:I bought a dirt cheap remote from Amazon and it is 100% reliable. Humax remote in the bin where it belongs.

Which is fine, but if you ever want to use a 2nd Humax box in the same room you have a problem.

The higher end logitech remotes are able to cope with multiple boxes and have a much larger range.

With a smartphone and the remote scheduling app (unpaired) you have a remote control that works anywhere in range of your WiFi. No line of sight required.

| Fri 27 Dec 2019 21:41:12 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Humax need to learn that these days most of us have some sort of smart device with a web browser. With a built in Web-interface (Web-if) you can build a WiFi remote control that works (with loads of other capability ) along with other capability.

Every AV receiver and smart blu-ray device I have had for many years had a web interface based on the .html language used to generate the user interface when you access any other website via your choice of web browser on any device.

This includes several generations of both Humax Freevew and Freesat pvrs, plus Smart Blu-ray Players and Yamaha and Denon AVC receivers.

Namely the HDR-Fox-T2 and the Foxsat-HDR. In both cases it took 3rd party developers to create the interface with a add on linux interface to create the capability. The parts of Linux used are free to use and can be used by anyone.

However at least Humax under the licence requirements of the free Linux code used released the non copyright code to enable coders much mor capable than I to build fully capable web interfaces.

Why Humax did not do the same remains a mystery ?

Had they done so you could any device with a web interface to emulate any remote control on the same router to produce any remote control command built in the infra red control set code set to control the box from any location in your property to control the box.

Hopefully Arris (the makers of the new 3rd generation box), will include this capability. Which will provide remote control from every room in your house that can connect to your router or via direct network connection.

| Fri 27 Dec 2019 23:36:51 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamRHK

special member

So you are suggesting that the HUMAX remote appeared to work (did you try my tests?) - but in some way the Humax is not responding to the IR signals. Does anyone know if this is a common problem with the Humax remote(s)? I have never had a problem with mine. Out of interest, what type of cheap remote did you buy?

| Sat 28 Dec 2019 9:34:43 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

GrahamRHK - 46 mins ago  » 

So you are suggesting that the HUMAX remote appeared to work (did you try my tests?) - but in some way the Humax is not responding to the IR signals. Does anyone know if this is a common problem with the Humax remote(s)? I have never had a problem with mine. Out of interest, what type of cheap remote did you buy?

The supplied remote for the FVP 5000T appears to have a very low power infra red transmittter. As a result if you are anywhere but close to the box and directly pointing at the ir receiver the box sometimes misses the command.

A logitech Harmony considerably improves the box response to remote commands.

| Sat 28 Dec 2019 10:24:48 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamRHK

special member

The supplied remote for the FVP 5000T appears to have a very low power infra red transmittter.

I guess this means that there are variations across samples. My FVP is behind the TV with the IR receiver facing sideways. The remote IR signal is bounced off a nearby cupboard and always works first time. My previous early Humax 9150 worked the same way with no difficulties.

| Sat 28 Dec 2019 15:47:36 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

My FVP is behind the TV with the IR receiver facing sideways. The remote IR signal is bounced off a nearby cupboard and always works first time. My previous early Humax 9150 worked the same way with no difficulties.

I completely agree. My LRM-08 remote works whichever way I point it.

He may well have a faulty item but that does not mean all Humax remotes are useless. It's like saying "A man assassinated JFK so all men are killers".

| Mon 30 Dec 2019 19:34:58 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.